56Likes

LinkBack Article Tools

Old
Boat of the Year 2018 - Cruising World
by NewsReader 12-16-2017

Cruising World

Boat of the Year 2018
Cruising World
There were lots of dedicated cruising boats, particularly in the midsize range. These included the rugged Hallberg-Rassy 412, from the Swedish builder that consistently enters a leading contender. The Elan GT5, from the Slovenian builder that's making ...

and more »

More...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 6848 Comments 100
Total Comments 100

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2017

Bavaria 34 is their choice for POCKET CRUISER? These folks have BIG pockets.

Back in the day "pocket cruisers" were boats that you could pull behind your SUV or small pickup truck. I would love to see someone dragging a Bavaira 34 (32'9" LOA, 5'2" Draft) behind their Explorer.

And a $145K boat was considered nicer than a $22K boat... (duh!)
Arcb likes this.

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-16-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2017

Re: Boat of the Year 2018 - Cruising World

That's journalism in the 21st century. You've got your real pocket cruisers; Sandpipers, Potter 19s, Precision 18s etc, and you have your alternate reality CE Cat A pocket cruisers, like the Bavaria 34.
fallard and seabeau like this.

Old 12-16-2017

Most of the boats are too big for the average boater in Long Island Sound - Southern New England from what I see. Sure you see a fair amount in the high 40s and some 50s and larger.... but most seem to be below 40' LOA. I am sure there are people who will plunk down $600K and more for a new boat... But I recall only see maybe 2 or 3 in Northport which has about 800 moored boats.

I am not impressed.

I think the sailing press is doing more to tank the industry than the industry is by promoting boats that no one is buying and absurd high tech racing... Completely out of touch with the average sailor in my opinion.
eherlihy and Lazerbrains like this.

Last edited by SanderO; 12-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2017

"yachting" already has a negative ring to it for anyone one but the 1%... The PR is promoting a "lifestyle" which is.... in my opinion NOT what "sailing" is to most people with boats... I don't know that the water is too crowded that it couldn't support more sailors and boats... I do see the NPT mooring field filled with boats that hardly leave their mooring. Most of the designs I have seen from the last several years are ones I would never own, and have all sorts of "features" which in my mind are idiotic actually... Now we have foiling! hahahahahaha.
Old 12-16-2017

Which do you think the sailboat manufacturers make more money on? One $140,000 boat or seven $20,000 boats?

Pretty sure it's the former and they simply don't need as many new clients. The entry point to the 1% group is somewhere around $400k per year. That means we have 3.5 million people making that kind of cash. I believe there are only a few hundred new sailboats over 30ft sold per year. That's a huge potential buying pool.

I also think the baby boom generation is willing to dump a big piece of their lifetime retirement savings on a new boat, if it's their last boat and they have enough remaining to get them to the ground. I know two retiring boomers shopping right now.
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-16-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2017

Quote:
The most recent industry survey presented by Sailing World magazine highlights the hurdles. In 2014, sailboat brokers in North America reported sales roughly flat at $463 million.

The number of sailboats imported and those made in North America both rose, led by sailboats under 20 feet. Yet the value of new boat sales fell, as fewer people bought larger sailboats, the survey found.

North American sailboat production last year hit its highest level since 2008. But the roughly 7,000 sailboats produced still lagged far behind the 22,000-plus made in 2000, surveys show.
Mostly dinghies (sailboats under 20 feet) but I wonder what the ratio is. For Minne's 'few hundred over 30 feet', that's a lot of dinghies.. and how many builders are producing 20-30 footers in any numbers? Seems difficult to find sailboat-only data, but it looks like power is doing much better.
Old 12-16-2017

To be clear, I'm only recalling US sales figures. There are also substantially more sold between 20 and 30 ft, I believe, than over 30 ft. I'm going to bet that over 30 ft is approx 350 new hulls per year.
Old 12-16-2017

For sure most sub 20 foot boats will be dinghies, but there are a substantial number of sub 20 foot pocket cruisers as well, and I believe (no stats to back it up) that class of boat is growing in popularity again. Maybe cruising world is trying to capitalise on the marketing power of the term pocket cruiser by including cruising yachts in it, not sure.

This is a favourite research website of mine, pocketcruiserguide. Its a bit dated and is missing some great classics, but its the best pocket cruiser guide I know of.

Their is a huge range of boats in this class, ranging from a West Wight Potter 15, all the way up to Nor Sea 27. It includes current popular brand names like Hunter and Jenneau, expensive semi custom designs from PSC as well as long out of production classics like Tanzers and Grampians.

However, all boats have the characteristics similar to what E. describes above. They are all trailerable and they all provide on board overnight accommodations and basic cruising amenities. The web site is divided into two categories, pocket cruisers above 20 feet and pocket cruisers below 20 feet. A Bavaria 34 has absolutely nothing in common with any of these boats and would be a terrible pocket cruiser because it lacks key features that make a pocket cruiser what they are.

20FeetOrLess2.htm
Old 12-16-2017

Big ticket sales / clients and so on or much more profitable for any business. Making profits by sales volume doesn't male sense especially since boats are almost one off hand made. I simply don't see many of those big new boats around. For chartering big works way better.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in