Total Comments 57

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Stricter Boating Laws - NYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Please allow me a minute on my soap box.

IMHO much of the problem we have is that existing laws are not enforced. But legislators are pressed to “do something” so they pass another legislation that will not be enforced.

Take for example the push for laws against “road rage” and texting. Again IMHO such actions equate to Reckless Driving and should be treated as such. Surely the cell phone laws have done almost nothing to reduce its abuse. When I was still commuting I would see gross abuses all the time. And others like reading the newspaper at 70mph or plucking your eyebrows at 70mph. If that is not reckless then I don’t know what is.

And yet again IMHO we in the USA no longer have respect for the law. The explanation gets political so I’ll omit it but if you think about it for a while it becomes obvious, very, very few here have a healthy respect for the law, self included.

I find Canadians generally more mindful and respectful of the law. And I find the difference interesting.
PAY ATTENTION is my main cry!... People are in their own world oblivious to or not caring about others around them... be it loud music, mufflers, wakes, illegal turns, driving impaired, littering and so on... It's really a matter of respect for the rights and in many cases... the lives of others and of course respect for the commons and the environment. Too much of this "express yourself" at everyone around you expense.
MikeOReilly and oysterman23 like this.
Old 12-28-2017

I sail this area three seasons a year have done so since the early 60's
Inforcement and an active public ad program would turn the tide if done consistently. Personally I think high powered boats should require a very serious course and specific punishments for violations related to speed and visibility.
public ads on inland rules etc would help alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
PAY ATTENTION is my main cry!... People are in their own world oblivious to or not caring about others around them... be it loud music, mufflers, wakes, illegal turns, driving impaired, littering and so on... It's really a matter of respect for the rights and in many cases... the lives of others and of course respect for the commons and the environment. Too much of this "express yourself" at everyone around you expense.
Well said. I think part of the problem is that we’ve divorced “rights” from “responsibilities.” Sure, it’s your property, and you have the “right” to enjoy it as you want. You can roar around at high speed, you can blare your stereo as loud as you want. But these “rights” also come with the “responsibility” to respect the rights of others around you.

This concept of "rights come with responsibilities" was a basic understanding not too long ago. Current generations (of which I include mine) seem to have forgotten this balance.
br3nt likes this.

Old 12-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Sandero,

I don't know if most people realize it, but the police can definitely take your driver's license. Now, you may have recourse in court of course, but a boaters license would empower literally thousands of LEO's to stop you, check your license, and perhaps take it away. In fact our very fees would be used to fund this enforcement.

I understand you may not be advocating that,however, it could still come to pass.

That said, I can also imagine how pleasant it would be if every boater was professional, responsible and well trained and how great it would be if some jerks lost their license in the interest of peace and safety.
There is a difference between a boater education card (a one-time exam showing that you at least looked at the rules of the road and a bit about boating safety/navigation/emergencies) and a license (which gives you an ongoing privilege to drive that must be renewed and can be suspended).

As far as I can tell, this is not a proposal for a licensing system that would enable LEOs to suspend your ability to operate a boat, although it would let them check to make sure you had the card.

Incidentally, at least in my state the vast majority of drivers' license suspensions are for failure to pay tickets, not for anything to do with how someone actually drives.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 12-29-2017

Most of the powerboat fatalities in my area are the result of excessive speed, many times in conjunction with the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Old 12-29-2017

I'm in favor of some form of increased boater education, at least for larger vessels. However, it's a non-starter for me to have each state mandate it's own for all vessels in what are actually federal waters. The states have only been delegated rights to regulate their waters out to 3 miles. It's impossible to conceive of needing to hold several state boater certificates to navigate around New England.

BoatUS safety courses, USS Safety at Sea, ASA courses, USCG licenses, etc should all qualify. They often don't because the States want their fee.

But, let's not kid ourselves. It's never going to be as difficult as getting a drivers license and the roads are full of accidents. It's certainly not going to be as stringent as a pilots license, and frankly, operating a boat isn't nearly as difficult either. It's simply not the solution to this problem. The irresponsible will pass any test you reasonably conceive of and then do what they choose. Better licensing would simply improve the behavior or those that are ignorant of the rules. Not those that don't care.

Mandatory liability insurance might help, as the irresponsible can be priced out of the game.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-29-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2017

It is cultural. Spoiled kids in dysfunctional over stressed families, in a society that literally takes pride in selfishness, greed, violence and ignorance.

Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
But, let's not kid ourselves. It's never going to be as difficult as getting a drivers license and the roads are full of accidents. .
This is an ignorant argument. We are talking about RECREATIONAL marine operators and you are comparing this to cars and trucks which are mostly used for none recreational purposes. Even going to and from a cultural or sports event is driving is a utility not the activity. So you are trying to draw an analogy which is false.

++++

The overall safety guidelines should be federal standards and enforced locally by jurisdictions along navigable waterways. States already take a registration fee and that should be able to cover the cost of enforcement. Sensible enforcement would be for speeding a operating while impaired not for cutting a buoy or straying from a channel. Boats operating without proper lights should receive warnings not tickets. Noise is and pollution (gas spills etc.) are locally enforced with warnings and fines. Boats operating with too many people on board should be fined.

Sensible guidelines / enforcement is not a money grab by government... This is a stupid concept. Are police officers given ticket quotas? Probably and that's very stupid if it's the case. If there is less need for law enforcement... downsize the police.
Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
It is cultural. Spoiled kids in dysfunctional over stressed families, in a society that literally takes pride in selfishness, greed, violence and ignorance.

Idiocracy - Opening scene in HD - YouTube
hahahahaha skewed but the point is well made
Old 12-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
There is a difference between a boater education card (a one-time exam showing that you at least looked at the rules of the road and a bit about boating safety/navigation/emergencies) and a license (which gives you an ongoing privilege to drive that must be renewed and can be suspended).

As far as I can tell, this is not a proposal for a licensing system that would enable LEOs to suspend your ability to operate a boat, although it would let them check to make sure you had the card.

Incidentally, at least in my state the vast majority of drivers' license suspensions are for failure to pay tickets, not for anything to do with how someone actually drives.
Good points. I stand corrected.

I think I should say I feel tremendous sympathy for the mother in this case, it is a shame about her daughter.

But - I see this is already required of jet ski operators and they are the most irresponsible operators of water craft out there. So maybe it has to be something different.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in