Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 2011 Comments 57
Total Comments 57

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017

Re: Stricter Boating Laws - NYS

You cannot legislate common sense or intelligent actions. Dumbasses will still be dumbasses, boating certificate or not.
outbound and Lazerbrains like this.
Old 12-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
You cannot legislate common sense or intelligent actions. Dumbasses will still be dumbasses, boating certificate or not.
They are already doing this here in California. We are all required to take a test and have a "boating certificate" to operate a boat. It is viewed mainly as a money grab by the state. The ridiculous thing is anyone from out of state is not required to have the certificate - so any vacationing moron can simply rent a boat for the day and be the most unsafe of all. Makes sense, huh?
capta likes this.

Old 12-27-2017 Thread Starter

A child died because of a stupid boater in Northport last year. You can't do much about stupid...but when people mshare the commons they need to accept, learn and follow rules for safe boating.

Money grabbing is not an excuse... nor is it the motivation.
Old 12-27-2017

In general, I agree with you SanderO. But I would have to see a specific proposal to know if its worthwhile or just red tape. I'd like a test that is really tough for anything over 20 foot or over 50 hp, nationwide. And I'm serious.But I see little use in a DMV mulitiple choice " test" .

For example, the test for motorcycle license is 20 multiple choice questions, and 5 of them are about alcohol. Another 5 are reading road signs and maybe 2 are specific to motorcycles. I passed it without ever studying. There are "schools" which sign you off, and give you a license after you ride around cones in a parking lot on a Saturday, usually these are run by retired, or moon lighting police officers. After that you are free to ride anywhere you want on a 200 mph sport bike. It doesn't seem to me to be worth anything, in fairness it probably helps some newbs.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 12-27-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
In general, I agree with you SanderO. But I would have to see a specific proposal to know if its worthwhile or just red tape. I'd like a test that is really tough for anything over 20 foot or over 50 hp, nationwide. And I'm serious.But I see little use in a DMV mulitiple choice " test" .

For example, the test for motorcycle license is 20 multiple choice questions, and 5 of them are about alcohol. Another 5 are reading road signs and maybe 2 are specific to motorcycles. I passed it without ever studying. There are "schools" which sign you off, and give you a license after you ride around cones in a parking lot on a Saturday, usually these are run by retired, or moon lighting police officers. After that you are free to ride anywhere you want on a 200 mph sport bike. It doesn't seem to me to be worth anything, in fairness it probably helps some newbs.
Many people bristle at licensing when it interferes what they believe is their freedom to move about on land, sea, and air. The problem is that unsafe operators kill innocent people. This is true for being drunk or high or not knowing how to operate the powered device you are using.

I seen several boats with a drunk operator drive into stone jetties at high speed killing everyone aboard. No excuse for this.

I don't know the solution... and none will likely be perfect. But doing nothing is not saving lives. And sure there are licensed drivers who are a danger to everyone on the road. But no license would clearly be worse... like no traffic signals or speed limits.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
Yorksailor (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017

I agree with SaderO and you would too if you ever spent a week or two working in a pediatric trauma unit.
Old 12-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
I agree with SaderO and you would too if you ever spent a week or two working in a pediatric trauma unit.

I am neither ignorant, nor heartless. What I have said is that I would support a very strong licensing requirement but not one that is simply some b.s. and a fee. It's the most safety conscious view. In fact, i'd be happy if it was much more difficult to get a drivers license.

If the requirements for obtaining a drivers license were as difficult as those of a private pilot license, I'd be happy.
capta likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 12-27-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2017

I haven't had to take one of these state boating certificates, but from those I've talked to, they seem much more about a revenue stream for the states than actually teaching folks something which would make boating safer for all.
However, from what I can tell, there is still more information about boat operating disseminated in these classes than there is in the classes to get a USCG master certificate. Now if that doesn't say something about the system......
Old 12-27-2017

Also, SanderO I have another minor point of disagreement with your post. The town dock may be " the commons" and a town could require a fee or something else.... that is the commons, but the ocean is owned by no man.

That, and once you have a license, it can be revoked. In fact when you are stopped and you give the police your license, he can take it right there and you have to go to court to get it back. Imagine being told you cannot sail your boat anymore because your license is suspended. No, I do not think you would take that well.
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 12-27-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in