'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes': Couple who sold up to live - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Article Tools

Old
'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes': Couple who sold up to live
by NewsReader 02-10-2018

ABC Action News

'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes': Couple who sold up to live on an 28-foot sailboat despite ...
Daily Mail
Tanner Broadwell, 26, and Nikki Walsh, 24, sold everything they owned in Colorado to buy a sailboat and live their best lives on the open sea, but that dream life was short-lived when their houseboat sank off the coast of Florida on Wednesday. The ...
Couple escapes capsized boat off John's Pass, loses everythingABC Action News

all 2 news articles »

More...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 1086 Comments 14
Total Comments 14

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018

Re: 'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes': Couple who sold up to

Youth is wasted on the young. Better to crash and burn in 10 feet of water and 100 yards off shore than 1000 feet of water and 1000 miles off shore.
SailingUphill and mbianka like this.
Old 02-10-2018

Re: 'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes': Couple who sold up to

not like they set out into open water etc., it was a little hop down the coast

there probably is more to the "everything" story but it would have made as good of "news"
Old 02-11-2018

A very sad story, but if they can recover the boat and keel, then they should get to work rebuilding it. It would be a big job, but when you are broke $$$ you have to work with what you have. It would be a big time consuming job to get the boat seaworthy again but it is doable. On a side note.... I'm now very worried about my keel.....
Arcb likes this.

Old 02-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
A very sad story, but if they can recover the boat and keel, then they should get to work rebuilding it. It would be a big job, but when you are broke $$$ you have to work with what you have. It would be a big time consuming job to get the boat seaworthy again but it is doable. On a side note.... I'm now very worried about my keel.....
I suspect here is absolutely no way the cost of restoring a 49 year old boat that broke off its keel and sank to seaworthy condition would be less than purchasing another boat in similar or better condition to what they had before they sank it. I'm assuming that salvaging and restoring a wreck like this would cost a LOT more than buying a similar vessel, and it would take a lot more time and effort.

A more sensible plan would involve them working regular jobs for a while and saving up money to buy a different boat, and learning to sail and navigate better before doing stuff like going into strange new ports at night. And surveying the keel bolts etc.
Sal Paradise and mbianka like this.

Last edited by Skyeterrier; 02-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2018

It seems that the boat was cared for at one time:

Columbia 28 Specifications

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in