Help needed with finishing preparations to a large sailing project - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Barquito

LinkBack Article Tools

Old
Help needed with finishing preparations to a large sailing project
by Moniia 05-30-2018

(If there is a better place to put it, please move it. Thanks)

My dear friends - time runs away and soon there will be none left to earn the rest of so needed funds to finish preparations. So a few days ago we started a campaign on GOFUNDME - Sea Witch vs Suhaili to plug this hole in our finances.
Please, visit its pages and support it in any way available to you.
If you can support our project financially- GREAT, do just that! If not - send those links (or even better - whole message with few of your additions) to your friends on FB, to your friends outside FB, on your Twitter account, on your websites, on Internet forums - wherever you may think of and have the ability to share that message - do it! And ask for the same - supporting, sharing, talking about. More people aware of this campaign means easier and quicker route to the goal (£2500+ and we raised already almost half of it!).

So go and share that message with at least 5 of your friends - and we brew a little storm!

And if you happen to know a company interested in advertising on my boat (there is still a very good place available!) in company of Polish Naval Academy, International Paints, ARGO (oceanographic research project of UNESCO), Henri Lloyds, Grain De Sail, Summit to Eat, European Freeze Dry, Lyophilise&Co, Les Jardins De Gaia and our media partners- Magazine Wiatr i Radio Gdańsk - invite them to contact us, we have a lot to offer!

So support, share, write and talk about, invite!

Join the Sea Witch Club on FB!

Thanks a lot!

Soon I'll head to Polish Naval Academy in Gdynia to hone some details of our cooperation. Cannot wait! (Some interesting and necessary training involved!)
Soon after that the boat will hopefully go to a boatyard- I count on YOU to help with that!

Click, follow, share with others!

Our website (you will be able to follow me here and read messages from the boat):

Our campaign on GOFUNDME:

our sponsors:

Recent monthly statistics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 301 Comments 9
Total Comments 9

Comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018

Re: Help needed with finishing preparations to a large sailing project

Why would I want to send them money? so they can go sailing? there are good reasons for go fund me but so someone else can enjoy themselves on other peoples money is not one of them.
Old 05-30-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Why would I want to send them money? so they can go sailing? there are good reasons for go fund me but so someone else can enjoy themselves on other peoples money is not one of them.

If you do not want to help with this project in any way it is perfectly OK. I guess you won't be inclined to share that either. That's fine by me.

But, believe or not, some people do not share your attitude. As I mentioned- half of the amount is already collected. Many companies (and believe me, they are usually much more profit-oriented than you!) help this project just because they can. Not mentioning individuals.

I'm preparing this project for best part of 5 years. It will happen with your help or without it. 98% was funded by me. Would be a 100 percent and no sponsors, but even best laid plans... Suffice to say, some personal problems plus car accident pushed me back few months. That is why I'm raising money and looking for sponsors - because if I would follow your logic, I would not start at all. Simply because I can earn money OR prepare the boat.

And to have a chance to be in Southern Ocean in summer time, I cannot leave in later than August. Which without external funding would be rather tricky.

So of course, there is nothing to stop you from thinking only fools support such a project. Only thing which I can say to that is to wish you never have to ask others

Old 05-30-2018

I don't know who this guy is, but I don't think he is who he says he is. If he is pitting himself against the Suhaili class in the GGR, outside of the official race, he sure doesn't seem to plan to do so fairly.
He states, "I want to check if I can do that faster with some help from modern technology (mainly Iridium to give me access to weather information along the route)".
The rules of the GGR state that no modern technology (not even an IPod for music), other than a locked container which when opened disqualifies the sailor, can be aboard their boats and that access to weather routing information is prohibited.
If this guy just wants a sail around the world on other peoples' nickel, then why bother with the Suhaili comparison? If he wants to beat Suhaili's time and has a comparable boat (otherwise it's a fool's errand anyway), why not enter the race that's already been organized? It all sounds hinky to me.
Old 05-30-2018

Moniia -

I think we are all getting "GoFundMe fatigue". That is an English colloquial way of saying, that there have been a lot of GoFundMe requests from people who feel that the world out there should be paying for their self-serving sailing adventures. As you said, some will be interested in helping, some won't.
RegisteredUser and Moniia like this.

Help needed with finishing preparations to a large sailing project

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I don't know who this guy is, but I don't think he is who he says he is. If he is pitting himself against the Suhaili class in the GGR, outside of the official race, he sure doesn't seem to plan to do so fairly.

He states, "I want to check if I can do that faster with some help from modern technology (mainly Iridium to give me access to weather information along the route)".

The rules of the GGR state that no modern technology (not even an IPod for music), other than a locked container which when opened disqualifies the sailor, can be aboard their boats and that access to weather routing information is prohibited.

If this guy just wants a sail around the world on other peoples' nickel, then why bother with the Suhaili comparison? If he wants to beat Suhaili's time and has a comparable boat (otherwise it's a fool's errand anyway), why not enter the race that's already been organized? It all sounds hinky to me.

I guess you didn't quite read my response.
I AM the person organising this project, which started before GGR2018. Funny enough, there are at least three projects at the moment commemorating the original Golden Globe.

(If you don't believe - Google it).

I do not take part in GGR because I find their rules overly restrictive. My boat, being in lines identical to Suhaili - is made of ferrocement. And Don McIntyre in all his wisdom decided that only replicas of Suhaili made of wood are allowed. And small thing of entry fee - which last time I checked was 10k Australian dollars....

Besides - my goal is and always was different.
I'm not racing against what you called "Suhaili class". I'm racing Suhaili from 50 years ago - hence the name of the project.

And also, I'm a woman. Last time I checked - Monika was not a male name so I would appreciate addressing me correctly.

My boat:

Some press coverage (check originals, if you don't believe me):

List of participants of La Longue Route 2018 (yes, GGR is not "official" - it is just one of many):

Ps. Btw, it is worth checking, who owns (in the UK) rights to Golden Globe Race trademark

Last edited by Moniia; 05-30-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Moniia -

I think we are all getting "GoFundMe fatigue". That is an English colloquial way of saying, that there have been a lot of GoFundMe requests from people who feel that the world out there should be paying for their self-serving sailing adventures. As you said, some will be interested in helping, some won't.

Yes, I understand that. It is why I explain that in so much detail.
But really, before calling someone a fraud (in wrong pronoun especially!) would be nice to check some facts.
It would be much easier for me to give you website address and other contacts but as it happens, Sailnet does not allow that.
Anyway, googling Sea Witch vs Suhaili gives a long page of addresses connected to this project, if someone needs to check the facts, they are also available elsewhere.

Ps. I just realised that due to restrictions on urls you don't have video attached to my post so remark about addressing correctly was unfair, as you didn't see my name, just nick.
Old 05-30-2018

Sorry about the name thing, Moniia, but I would have no way of knowing that Moniia is a woman's name.
How can you even consider it a fair race against a vessel and a man using 1968 technology when you intend to use modern technology to help you on your voyage? If you want to sail around the world then more power to you, but don't fool yourself that by using weather routing and modern technology, your voyage will in any way be comparable to "Robin" Knox-Johnston's voyage.
I paid for my own circumnavigation in the 70's. If you were officially entered in the GGR, then I can understand seeking sponsors (as you said, it is very expensive). But as a solo sailor doing this for your own pleasure, I don't see why you won't work for another year or two to earn what you need, instead of asking for others to pay your way. I should think it very uncomfortable begging strangers to support your dreams.

As I said, I'm taking part in La Longue Route 2018 - Google it, you will then know what this 20+ skippers do and why they do not take part in GGR.

Second - who is talking about "fair"? I'm sailing to check HOW MUCH technology affects our sailing. On identical boat, identical route.
We all know, or at least assume it does help. But how much? Is it really such a factor to help on 26k+ miles route? Or maybe rather other limiting factors will prevail? Suhaili wasn't a race boat, I know something about that, sailing her sister

I'm taking part in an event which commemorates those 9 sailors from 1968 in an event with rules much closer to those from 50 years ago. Most my sponsors decided to sponsor ALL of us - we just share them. I found some, other skippers found other sponsors and convinced them to support the whole group.

As I said before - no one forces you to support that project. But please, if you want to say something about it, try to check some facts first. GGR is only one of a few events with the same principles (commemorate a race from 50 years ago), but with a completely different approach as to how to go about it.

GGR is about making money. LLR2018 or Sea Witch vs Suhaili project is not. And that is reflected in our approach.

And btw, going two years later is missing the point. Which is to sail 50 years later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in