Racing a Spirit 23 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 07-19-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Racing a Spirit 23

I am not sure what you mean by "backstay tension is also a 'lack' of tension". If you have a backstay tension adjuster you can tighten it up during the upwind legs. This makes the forestay tighter and gets rid of any potential sag. It will allow the boat to point higher as it is capturing the wind more efficiently. On the downwind leg you want to ease the backstay tensioner off to create a more powerful surface for the wind to push against. Simple (relatively) physics. Upwind your sails foil, downwind they dam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 07-19-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

If your backstay is off (eased), you can create "lack of tension." Sometimes a huge help when you can't buy a knot of wind.
Don't take my word for it.
Optimize for light air

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #13 of 14 Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter

Ah yes, makes sense now. There was a word missing .

In the pacific northwest there are a lot of light wind drifter races in the summer. Personally I prefer using the halyard in those cases to move the belly of the sail. That keeps the leading edge pretty straight for pointing still and provides more draft to power up. I will have to experiment some with forestay sag and see if I can get the same performance. I like VMG, and often even if my boat is moving slower I still get there first simply due to having much less ground to cover. Light winds are like a chess match though, every one of them is different. That is part of what makes racing so exciting!

post #14 of 14 Old 07-20-2017

FWIW -especially in light air sailing - but applies to all wind velocities - setting up the correct slot-open distance (the distance between the leech of the jib to mainsail) is critical for optimum output performance. For small boats especially, using 'athwartship' jib fairlead travellers, are the best way to optimize the 'slot open distance', but in/out barberhaulers on the jib clew, etc. can be used in their place.
How to set-up: After adjusting and optimizing the flow across the sails by observing the telltales and the speedo (get the max speed and/or VMG), bring the jib clew in or out (vs. the slot open distance) while watching the speedo (or VMG) for maximum values .... and while ignoring any so-called developing 'backwinding' at the luff of the mainsail.

Also Explained on p.3 of http://www.ftp.tognews.com/Publicati...o_Windward.pdf
.... also look for 'bootstrapping' in this article and the adjacent 09- & 11- articles at Index of /Publications/Arvel Gentry Articles.
SailingUphill likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Tags
racing , rig , spirit 23 , upgrades

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in