Racing a Spirit 23 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-08-2015 Thread Starter

Racing a Spirit 23

This year I have really gotten into racing in a friend's Sweden 36. We are in the racing class (usually leading the pack) so I have been surrounded by good sailors and have learned a lot.

I am wondering who here has/does race their Spirit 23? (Silverado you mentioned in a post you do. Often? What class?).

What is the Spirit 23 rated? I am guessing around 270?

What sorts of upgrades/tweaks have you done to help your rig go?

How are your winches and lines?

What else???

Photos would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-09-2015

Re: Racing a Spirit 23

If you ever need an extra sliding lid I have one for a Spirit 23.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-08-2016 Thread Starter

@tomsayres I see in https://www.sailnet.com/forums/3153922-post20.html that you are going to be racing your Spirit! I know it is a 21, not a 23, but I am still interested in how you do and what all modifications you made to your boat to make her go fast.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-09-2016

The Spirit 21' will never be quick- only about 5 knots due to hull speed limitations. Nothing major, mainly tuning items are being done like adding a boom vang, adjustable back stay, whisker pole and maybe new performance sails next year.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter

The Spirit 23 is not much faster. I believe the hull speed is 5.9. In non-matched racing though the top speed is not necessarily the the issue, it is getting your boat efficiently to hull speed and maintaining it. The races I do use the PHRF system so even a small boat that takes an hour longer to cross the finish line may have a chance (I have seen that happen actually, came in second by a couple seconds on correction).

Thus far I have not had Zippey out racing though . Her bottom is a mass of growth currently and the boatyards machines are not working. Soon though! After she splashes again I am going to enter some of the "beer can" races and see how I can do. I know I need new sails, that is the next "major item" on the list. Getting rid of that triangle at the end of the boom should probably be on my short list too!
post #6 of 14 Old 07-17-2017 Thread Starter

After a season of racing (lightly) racing Zippey and doing some other performance tuning I wanted to toss an update in here for anyone else who runs across this topic.

The sail configuration I was working with was a standard (and very old) mainsail and a 100% jib in good condition.
I did pick up a lightweight 160% drifter but I never did use it in a race.

Here are some of the things I tweaked to improve performance:
- Free footed the main. My mainsail had the foot running in a track on the boom. Free footing the main allowed me to control the shape better and achieve higher upwind angles.
- Put a block on the main outhaul. Allowed me to control the outhaul tension a lot easier, especially when the main was up.
- Added a vang. If I had to point to any one thing that improved performance the vang would be it! Without the vang the boom would lift and spill wind as the wind increased or angle changed. The vang helps keep that power in the sail.
- Cunningham/downhaul on the main. This again helped with the mainsail shape. Quite dramatically in fact.
- Added telltales to both sails. Telltales help visualize the wind across the sails and optimize trim.
- Use an app on my phone to gauge speed. Zippey has no electronics. Knowing how trim changes affected the boat speed is critical.
- Got the rig properly tuned with the help of a tuning tool and a friend who has tuned many other boats.

Something interesting I found was that the headsail likes to be played loose. Other boats I race on like it sucked in tight but inevitably when this happened Zippey would slow down and helm would lose control.

Hope that helps for anyone else looking to create more performance or race their Spirit 23!
The Following User Says Thank You to blobaugh For This Useful Post:
CKeenan (12-20-2018)
post #7 of 14 Old 07-18-2017

New owner of zippity thanks will try to keep up with the tradition. But I will not race her
post #8 of 14 Old 07-18-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

I'd wager since the Spirit 23 is masthead... being able to control headstay sag (with backstay tension) is a biggy. Lots of sag to power up, tighten to point and when you need to depower. Headsail likely matters more than main... sailing with a bubble in the main as the winds pipe up is likely a configuration that will look weird, but yield more speed. Also I strongly recommend even a cheapo knotmeter. SOG (GPS/Phone) isn't real accurate (it doesn't update quickly enough), but a good old fashioned analog paddlewheel even tied to a modern digital display (turn damping way down by the way), can show you instant speed changes as you mess with trim, giving you Speed Over Water (SOW).

Also, along with a vang, is either a topping lift, or better a boom kicker (kickers are cheap - like $150 cheap). What that does is allows you to vang on, to lock the boom down to a height you want, that even in light air the boom will rise to where you want it as well. Think of the kicker and the vang working to hold the boom at the height you want. Top lift will also work, but to me I was never happy using the top lift that way, it was always messing with the roach of the main. In light air a little twist off of the top sometimes works great with the traveler above centerline upwind. Keep in mind the bulk of the leach of the main must be below centerline (you are looking to parallel the top batten with the boom - in most cases).

We've had a few Spirit 23s come and go at our local club... I prefer it over the Cat 22, and Precision 23, it "looks" faster.

Displacement hulls you can usually add waterline with weight. There is of course a point of diminishing returns on that (heavy is slow)... If your crew is light on their feet, and understands how to hold still, and shift weight with tacks, you can choreograph excellent roll tacks in light air, with a finish of just the right amount of heel.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
The Following User Says Thank You to SailingUphill For This Useful Post:
CKeenan (12-20-2018)
post #9 of 14 Old 07-18-2017 Thread Starter

@SHNOOL some good notes there. The backstay is split at the end which would also lend itself well to a backstay tensioner. I was going to install one as well but @Jwasserman has the boat now. With the rig properly tensioned the forestay stayed in place pretty well with the 100% sail up. Could always eek a little more performance though!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-18-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

Saw after my post that the boat was gone... But backstay tension is also "lack" of tension. Meaning allow the mast to come forward some, creating headstay sag. If the luff has a decidedly curved shape to it upwind in light air, it can be a much more powerful shape, drawing raw HP upwind, as penalty, it of course will take away some point, but you must move to point, so you may ultimately get it back.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Tags
racing , rig , spirit 23 , upgrades

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in