Spirit 23 potential purchase - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 09-27-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Spirit 23 potential purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_dunn View Post
I bought a Spirit 23 last autumn and she's been a great boat. She had similar issues when I bought her - some of the core had got damp at some point and disintegrated and the keel cable was snapped (and seized) so I ended up cutting out the housing and fitting a new one. I fed the cable through a 6mm pipe fitted with a grease nipple, which kept the bilge dry and the cable well greased. I need to (partially) lift the keel when in berth because my mooring only has a 4 foot depth at low tide, which is just a little too shallow to leave the keel down.
You mentioned "the core" of something got damp. Was it the cockpit floor? Is that what you cut out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 10-12-2017 Thread Starter

I have seen some "custom" mods done to raise the centerboard from the cabin. They appear to be right above that bilge access floorboard in the cabin.

At about 4:40 you see what I am talking about there in the cabin.

Under the floorboard access panel, I see something fiberglassed in with a tube running to it from the rear. Is that where the centerboard cable is?
post #23 of 43 Old 10-12-2017 Thread Starter

Here's another starting at about 0:49 you will see a view into the cabin from the cockpit. Watch it from 3:15 and you'll see he's rigged something in the center of the cabin to raise/lower the centerboard:

Last edited by hnash53; 10-12-2017 at 06:58 PM.

post #24 of 43 Old 10-13-2017

hnash53 I believe you are correct in that tube being for the centerboard. In these videos the guy I believe modified the boat and moved the winch there.

When I built the new centerboard for mine I added in some hose to help the cable slide. The reason the cables failed is due to the dramatic change in direction of the cable and it chaffing against the boat constantly.

I thought I had a picture of the inside but I am not seeing it. This is the post I wrote up that shows what the new centerboard on mine was https://ben.lobaugh.net/ship-log/zdd...t-and-painting

Some threads here to check out
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-...t-blocked.html
Windyway's awesome rebuild https://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-...e-mod-dwg.html
post #25 of 43 Old 10-13-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
hnash53 I believe you are correct in that tube being for the centerboard. In these videos the guy I believe modified the boat and moved the winch there.

When I built the new centerboard for mine I added in some hose to help the cable slide. The reason the cables failed is due to the dramatic change in direction of the cable and it chaffing against the boat constantly.

I thought I had a picture of the inside but I am not seeing it. This is the post I wrote up that shows what the new centerboard on mine was https://ben.lobaugh.net/ship-log/zdd...t-and-painting

Some threads here to check out
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-...t-blocked.html
Windyway's awesome rebuild https://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-...e-mod-dwg.html
Hey thanks for those links... I will check them out!!!
post #26 of 43 Old 11-22-2017 Thread Starter

I have purchased the local yacht club's Spirit 23... pics will be forthcoming.

However, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, there is another way someone has rigged the centerboard lifting mechanism.

Here's a video of it:

After watching the video, can anyone tell me what I would need to do to put this in my new-to-me Spirit 23?

Many thanks.

Hal Nash
Waldport OR
post #27 of 43 Old 11-28-2017 Thread Starter

Any Spirit 23/NA 23 sailboat owners around?

Check out that video I posted just above this post and let me know how you think that modification can be done.

Thanks!!

Hal Nash
Waldport, OR
post #28 of 43 Old 12-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnash53 View Post
Any Spirit 23/NA 23 sailboat owners around?

Check out that video I posted just above this post and let me know how you think that modification can be done.

Thanks!!

Hal Nash
Waldport, OR
Dude, like I told you in the comments on my youtube videos, that setup is original factory setup NOT a "modification". 'North American Yachts' was the original manufacture of the Spirit 23. Glastron bought out 'North American Yachts' in 1978. Glasron continued to build the Spirit 23 with a different cabin layout and changed the centerboard winch configuration to what you have. My Spirit 23 is a 1977 North American Spirit 23 and is all original factory setup.
post #29 of 43 Old 12-24-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toliver66 View Post
Dude, like I told you in the comments on my youtube videos, that setup is original factory setup NOT a "modification". 'North American Yachts' was the original manufacture of the Spirit 23. Glastron bought out 'North American Yachts' in 1978. Glasron continued to build the Spirit 23 with a different cabin layout and changed the centerboard winch configuration to what you have. My Spirit 23 is a 1977 North American Spirit 23 and is all original factory setup.
My apologies, toliver66. I was totally ignorant of the different cabin layout and the winch post design. Again, sorry for pressing the issue.

I'll be more observant now.
post #30 of 43 Old 12-26-2017

Hal- You get any pictures of your new lady yet?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in