Spirit 23 potential purchase - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 09-26-2017 Thread Starter

Spirit 23 potential purchase

Hi there, mateys! I'm fairly new to Sailnet.

I'm considering buying the local yacht club's Spirit 23 sailboat. It's in pretty good shape but for two things, which I want some info on... mostly, how difficult these repairs will be.

1. Cockpit sole is soft... no doubt about it. What's it like to do a proper repair of such?

2. The cable which hoists/lowers the centerboard is broken. I've seen a fix elsewhere on Sailnet... but still seems like a difficult job.

I don't know what the club is asking yet for the boat (they have a "board" meeting coming up Oct 4 or so to discuss whether they want to sell it or not.

The rest of the boat and sails check out ok. I've sailed the boat twice and like its feel.

No trailer... I think I can find one fairly close to me (I live on the Oregon coast... lots of boats and trailers).

Price-wise I'm thinking $800-1000.

Ocean bay sailing and an occasional foray out of the bay into the Pacific ocean (when conditions allow for such) are what I do. I currently have a Bayliner Buccaneer 200. It's a good solid boat and I like it. But I have an urge to get out in the ocean a bit more frequently and think the Spirit 23 might be a good boat for that.

Any comments/help/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Hal Nash
Waldport OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-26-2017

Re: Spirit 23 potential purchase

The cockpits sole is probably uncored and fatigued. If so, you can stiffen it with a beam bonded from below.
post #3 of 43 Old 09-27-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
The cockpits sole is probably uncored and fatigued. If so, you can stiffen it with a beam bonded from below.
By "uncored," are you saying that the cockpit floor is construction is NOT the fiberglass/plywood/fiberglass sandwich? That there's no wood core there?

Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 43 Old 09-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnash53 View Post
By "uncored," are you saying that the cockpit floor is construction is NOT the fiberglass/plywood/fiberglass sandwich? That there's no wood core there?

Thanks for the help.
I think he means the plywood is rotted away.
post #5 of 43 Old 09-27-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

Plywood is definitely gone... no way its solid glass, and if it was it wouldn't fatigue.

The keel cable is a difficult repair from the standpoint you must drop a 600lb keel out and rethread it. Usually (as crazy as it seems) people raise the boat away from the keel do their repairs, then lower the boat back to the keel. Unless you have a trailer that has a removeable floor, one with adjustable supports allows you to raise the boat away from the keel.

Spirit 23 is a great little move up cruiser/racer from the Buccaneer. Price seems reasonable if it includes a working trailer.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #6 of 43 Old 09-27-2017

The cable being replaced is for a swing out centerboard, not an entire keel. The centerboard on these boats is light. It is mostly for additional stability upwind.

I build a new centerboard and ran a new cable. It is not difficult at all. The other post on this site shows how to make alterations so the cable is at a better angle and less likely to break. The way the cable runs from the factory puts stress on them and causes them to snap.

Now that said, unless you are trying for high performance leaving the centerboard down all the time is not a problem. After rebuilding mine a shop bunged something up and it would not move anymore. I have kept it down for years with no problem.

If you are wanting to trailer it the centerboard should fold right up when you slide it onto the trailer.

I actually sailed my boat without a centerboard for the first year I owned it so they are not strictly necessary on this boat due to the stub of keel down there already. You will not be able to point as high without it but you will still be able to sail.
post #7 of 43 Old 09-27-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. The second post also says something about stiffening the cockpit sole with a "beam bonded from below."

What is meant by that?

Yes, the centerboard is not all that heavy in these Spirit 23s. Good the hear that it will sail ok even without the CD extended. But when sailing this boat myself, it pointed very well in light air that day, so the CB must add some performance.
post #8 of 43 Old 09-27-2017

Oh yes, the centerboard helps pointing tremendously. It will also stop/prevent a lot of side slippage when pointing high.

For light wind sailing I had a lightweight 160 drifter sail. It was glorious.

For some performance tweaks check out the racing thread.
post #9 of 43 Old 09-27-2017
Barquito

I would sort out if there is actually a trailer available to buy. In some places it is really difficult to find a trailer that fits for a reasonable price.

This is what the fiberglass covered beam under the cockpit floor may look like.

Valiant 32

Last edited by Barquito; 09-27-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #10 of 43 Old 09-27-2017

If a trailer is desired. Mine came with a trailer in 2010 and I have used the trailer only once, and that because I did not have the time to sail to the new location.

I guess that means I have a trailer if you need one...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in