Hull liner coming off/loose... remove and paint? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-09-2018 Thread Starter

Hull liner coming off/loose... remove and paint?

The inner hull liner of my NA23/Spirit23 is barely hanging on... the black foam and adhesive disintegrating. Just touching it releases more of the crumbly, black powder.

It is also badly stained... doesn't look all that good.

I'm considering removing the liner entirely and painting where the liner was.

I've read a variety of comments elsewhere online: condensation issues, no condensation issues, painting with cork-infused/microbeads paint, mildew-cide paint, messy project.

Here are the conditions my boat will be in:

In a marina slip, cold waters (50-55 degrees), mild temps year round
I will be running a small heater in the cabin when moored in the marina
There is no headliner and I have not seen/experienced any condensation so far while on land
Oregon coast climate is cool year round, high relative humidity (hey... it's a cool humid!!)
Summer temps are around 65 degree highs/55 degree lows.
Winter temps are 50 degree highs/40 degree lows.

Since the temperature changes are relatively small on a daily basis (10-15 degrees max... often less than 10 degrees), wouldn't that reduce/minimize the amount/risk of condensation?

The liner is just on the sides of the hull. It is not on the ceiling.. just on the sides of the hull from the berths to about where the rubrail is. There has been no condensation on the ceiling where there is no liner.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Hal Nash
Waldport OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-09-2018
1979 Morgan Out Island 41

Re: Hull liner coming off/loose... remove and paint?

I tore out the liner on my Morgan OI41. It was wet and moldy. I've fixed the leaks and have been fairing and repainting everything with Interlux Brightsides (after primer). I was in a rush to get the aft cabin done as I'm living on the boat and needed a sleeping area so it's not as detailed as the parts I'm working on now. Here's some before and after photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I tore out the liner on my Morgan OI41. It was wet and moldy. I've fixed the leaks and have been fairing and repainting everything with Interlux Brightsides (after primer). I was in a rush to get the aft cabin done as I'm living on the boat and needed a sleeping area so it's not as detailed as the parts I'm working on now. Here's some before and after photos
So...are you saying that after removal of the liner, you have not experienced condensation where the liner was?

post #4 of 12 Old 04-10-2018

I haven't. The boat is located in north eastern florida.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2018 Thread Starter

Anymore owners have experience removing their hull liner and painting the hull rather than replacing the liner?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-10-2018

I think someone on the North American Yachts forum did it in one of their build threads.
In mine the inner hull is just carpeted. It can be taken off. The glue holding it to the side would be a pita to get clean.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-10-2018

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

I have an older boat with foam backed head and hull liner. I have not had an issue with condensation, but I am a day sailer /overnighter, not a live aboard. I suspect a live aboard would have higher humidity in the cabin. Ventilation is one of the keys, making sure the boat is not leaking is another. After removing the foam backed liner, the cabin top and sides were covered with foam residue. I had no luck removing the old foam, so painting was out. I found some products at Lowes, a textures fiberglass sheet for headliner, and a vinyl sheet for the cabin sides. I have not seen any evidence of condensation. I attached a picture of the headliner
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0621.JPG  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
I think someone on the North American Yachts forum did it in one of their build threads.
In mine the inner hull is just carpeted. It can be taken off. The glue holding it to the side would be a pita to get clean.
On mine I found the glue came off rather easily with a wire wheel mounted on a drill. I'm sure the mileage may vary depending on the glue used.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-10-2018

I tore the headliner out of my companionway hatch (it was moldy and falling apart) ... cleaned off the glue, faired and painted it. Looks great now.

The worst part of that job was getting the glue off. Took me about 4 hours with a heat gun and a scraper. It's a 1979 Tartan 37. I don't know what other manufacturers use for glue, but this stuff was a pain to get off.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2018 Thread Starter

Great replies fellows... many thanks for sharing your experiences.

I think I will peel back some of the carpet lining the hull and check out the glue/adhesive used and see how much of a PITA it will be to get off.

Again, many thanks!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in