Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Re: Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23

Of course....the png loads on a black background and cannot be seen! Here is a different format.
Attached Thumbnails
Mainsail diagram for hnash sailnet.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 04-23-2018
Master Mariner

It looks to me as though this sail was cut for a different gooseneck fitting. Perhaps it is lying about somewhere on the boat.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 34 Old 04-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
I whipped up a quick diagram in Google Draw. This is the extent of my design skills but hopefully it will illustrate better than words
Ben... thanks for the drawing. After launching and securing the boat in its slip, I will raise the mainsail and see how this sail looks without attaching the cringle to the boom. Once I see that, I should be able to implement one or more of the suggestions you and others have made.

Perhaps I can call Hyde Sails and send the pics to them and ask what's up with this design.

post #14 of 34 Old 04-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It looks to me as though this sail was cut for a different gooseneck fitting. Perhaps it is lying about somewhere on the boat.
That may be, but I've gone completely through the boat and not found any other fittings that might be associated with this sail's design.

I launch tomorrow (Tues, 24April) and should be able to see better what my options will be.
post #15 of 34 Old 04-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Of course....the png loads on a black background and cannot be seen! Here is a different format.
Ben... thanks for the appended diagram. You say on the diagram to fabricate a velcro loop to hold the clew down. Wouldn't the outhaul accomplish that?

And I have the boom vang for the boat to help hold the boom down in windy conditions and loosen in light winds.
post #16 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnash53 View Post
Ben... thanks for the appended diagram. You say on the diagram to fabricate a velcro loop to hold the clew down. Wouldn't the outhaul accomplish that?
If you keep the foot in the boom then yes, though outhaul is all you need.

If you switch to a loose foot you will want both the outhaul and a way to tie the sail down to the end of the boom. You want the outhaul to control only the belly of the sail. Without the velcro (or a regular line) holding it down, the aft end of the main will fly up into the air and lose all control of the shape. The velcro strap keeps the a clew down onto the boom to prevent that and still allows the outhaul to shape the main.
post #17 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Put a small shackle through the top of the bracket that would normally catch and hold the tack.
Use that to lash a few passes of lashing(small rope around the tack and the shackle. You want to get this the right length so it does not pull down and pucker the shape of the sail in that area. It might also need some lashings around the tack and the boom to keep the tack from being pulled aft, when using the outhaul.

I agree with the others, it does not look right, meaning meant to be that way but it does look workable. Try to find out where the sail came from and contact the maker or alterer to see what they were thinking. The pervious owner might already have some lashings or pigtails to make this sail work.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 34 Old 04-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
If you keep the foot in the boom then yes, though outhaul is all you need.

If you switch to a loose foot you will want both the outhaul and a way to tie the sail down to the end of the boom. You want the outhaul to control only the belly of the sail. Without the velcro (or a regular line) holding it down, the aft end of the main will fly up into the air and lose all control of the shape. The velcro strap keeps the a clew down onto the boom to prevent that and still allows the outhaul to shape the main.
Can you suggest the velcro material to be used for this loop? Or will just any velcro work?
post #19 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Any strong velcro should work. A local sail maker handed me a strip from a big roll he had so I am not sure what kind it was. It wraps around the boom twice for extra holding power. Nothing has caused it to come loose so far! Not a ton of pressure against these sails.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnash53 View Post
Can you suggest the velcro material to be used for this loop? Or will just any velcro work?
Its a double sided piece of velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other. Take a measurement of you clew or a picture and go to a sailmaker and they will cut you a piece or sew you a piece to match your needs.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in