Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 04-23-2018
Administrator

Re: Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23

I agree with the advice to contact the sail maker and find out why the sail is cut that way.

Having seen the pictures, it looks like this sail was made for a cunningham. If you look at the picture there is a large hole at the tack and a smaller hole above. My sense is that the smaller hole was intended to have heavy duty slug that would be in the track and position the foot fore and aft, and the larger hole looks like it is intended for a cunningham.

blobaugh's sketch would not work without the heavy slug in the track or a strop around the mast since the load from the outhaul would pull the sail away from the mast and distort the shape of the sail.

Sails that are meant to be flown loose footed are generally cut and reinforced differently than sails that are meant for a shelf foot. You may be able to fly the sail the way that blobaugh suggests, but its probably not a great idea.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 04-23-2018
Barquito

Here are a couple of rough drawings with a couple ideas that have been mentioned (if I understood correctly):

Valiant 32
post #23 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Sails that are meant to be flown loose footed are generally cut and reinforced differently than sails that are meant for a shelf foot. You may be able to fly the sail the way that blobaugh suggests, but its probably not a great idea.
Fair. It at least worked on my Spirit 23. I am the mainsail trimmer on a few very active race boats and I was happy with how the main performed. Does not mean it will work with all mains though!

post #24 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

I've got to agree with Jeff and the others who said contact the sail maker. None of us seem to know why the sail was designed that way, but we have come up with some innovative ways to make the sail work in a way it was not designed. Some times simplicity is best and hopefully the sail maker can explain a simple way to fly the sail.

Failing that, I vote for Barquito's top drawing, with a slug to the mast track and a strop to the boom. But that is taking the long way around the block to visit your next door neighbor, because the sailmaker could have avoided cutting off that triangle of sailcloth. Something is missing.
L
post #25 of 34 Old 04-23-2018 Thread Starter

I have left a message at Hyde Sails. Their website says that they are off on some sailing adventure for the time being.

I have some hefty sail slides that might work well with this.

I also have a couple of sail stops, too, that might contribute to a solution.

As I mentioned, I'll be launching tomorrow morning and should be able to hoist the mainsail and see how/where that grommet/ring/cringle (which term should I be using here?) rides when the sail is hoisted.

Maybe I'll get some pics and follow up here with them.

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments.
post #26 of 34 Old 04-26-2018 Thread Starter

I took some pics of the sail during the brief time my boat was in the water.

I connected the grommet/cringle to the mast via a sail slide/slug and short shackle.

The sail shape is much better and looks better.

The metal shackle is a short one... but not quite short enough. Maybe a "soft shackle"?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180425_113613.jpg   IMG_20180425_113631.jpg   IMG_20180425_113647.jpg  
post #27 of 34 Old 04-27-2018

Aquabatten snap-in sail shackle. It's cheap, durable, designed for this specific task. Snap-In Shackles - Nylon - Sail Shackles - Sailmakers Hardware - Sailboat Hardware & Rigging - Downwind Marine
post #28 of 34 Old 04-27-2018

Most Youtube videos showing a Spirit 23 under sail do not show the cutaway like this however they do appear to show a more moderate cutaway or slight step to keep the grommet for the gooseneck slightly above the rope so everything aligns.

It will be interesting to hear from the sail maker when they get back.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-27-2018

The rest of the sail looks good

I believe you are going to want a downhaul on there too, which maybe that is the red line and it is not tied yet. In which case ignore me!
post #30 of 34 Old 04-27-2018 Thread Starter

Ah yes... snap-in shackles!! I've seen these before. Thanks for that suggestion... probably better than the metal shackle.

Still not heard back from Hyde Sails. I'll stay on them until I get a response.

Yes, Ben, I was thinking of putting on a downhaul to see how that affects this setup.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in