Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-20-2018 Thread Starter

Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23

EDIT: See attached photos.

In the set of photos shown in the attachments...

The tack of the sail has it's corner "cut off," in the pictures.

One picture shows how the cringle is pulled down and pinned with a clevis pin to the boom. This wrinkles the sail all the way from the tack to the clew, reducing sail area... plus it doesn't look good. This was the position of the sail when I purchased it last November. I'm getting ready to re-launch this boat and this is one of the final things I need to attend to.

I don't think this is the original mainsail because when I purchased it from the local yacht club, one of the selling points was that this boat had a "new" mainsail. It looks and feels new... so I think that's the truth.

I'm thinking of ways to deal with this. 1) Add a sail slide to the cringle like the ones shown in the picture where the slides are sewn into the bolt rope. 2) Fabricate some kind of loop that goes through the cringle and back down to where the sail was previously pinned with a clevis pin, but not pull the cringle down... instead, the loop would just hold the cringle in its "unattached position as shown in two of the pics. It would help maintain the normal shape of the sail.

I think if I do both of these modifications, it will solve the issue.

Please let me know of any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks!!

Hal Nash
Waldport OR
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180420_151302.jpg   IMG_20180420_151506.jpg   IMG_20180420_151251.jpg   IMG_20180420_151237.jpg   IMG_20180420_151354.jpg  

Last edited by hnash53; 04-22-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: trying to add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-20-2018

Re: Odd Issue with mainsail on NA/Spirit23

Why not a longer shackle or a lashing to correct length?
post #3 of 34 Old 04-20-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Why not a longer shackle or a lashing to correct length?
Cap'n Len... thanks for the reply. Can you provide a pic/diagram/description to better illustrate what you are suggesting?

post #4 of 34 Old 04-22-2018
Administrator

I was not able to open the link in the original post so I can not see the issue, but the tack fitting is intended to hold the tack of the sail in a fixed position vertically against the luff tension and horizontally against the outhaul. Merely adding a longer shackle will allow the outhaul to pull the sail away from the mast distorting the shape of the sail. If your solution is to add a taller shackle then you will need to add a heavier duty slug at that same point to resist the outhaul.

But without seeing the pictures, my hunch is that there may not be a problem with the sail itself. Most new sails are loose footed and are made with some roach in the foot. If you over tighten the outhaul you will get horizontal wrinkles parallel to the boom. Those wrinkles are normal in heavy wind when you are trying to flatten the sail,. But assuming that the sail is cut properly, the outhaul should be eased in lighter winds until the wrinkles go away.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 34 Old 04-22-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I was not able to open the link in the original post so I can not see the issue, but the tack fitting is intended to hold the tack of the sail in a fixed position vertically against the luff tension and horizontally against the outhaul. Merely adding a longer shackle will allow the outhaul to pull the sail away from the mast distorting the shape of the sail. If your solution is to add a taller shackle then you will need to add a heavier duty slug at that same point to resist the outhaul.

But without seeing the pictures, my hunch is that there may not be a problem with the sail itself. Most new sails are loose footed and are made with some roach in the foot. If you over tighten the outhaul you will get horizontal wrinkles parallel to the boom. Those wrinkles are normal in heavy wind when you are trying to flatten the sail,. But assuming that the sail is cut properly, the outhaul should be eased in lighter winds until the wrinkles go away.

Jeff
Thanks for trying to answer my question without photos. I figured out how to add photos to my post. Take a look and you'll see what I've been trying to describe.

What do you think now?
post #6 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Ask the sailmaker what they had in mind when they built the sail this way. They'll undoubtedly have a simple explanation.
jephotog likes this.
post #7 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

This sail is interesting. It has the logo on it which makes me assume it was intended for this boat. I agree with Hudsonian, ask the sailmaker if they intended something. If not, Capt Len's idea of a longer shackle or lashing is good. To pull that off simply get a shackle of appropriate length, or a line, and tie one end to the pin the eye on the sail usually goes through and the other side to the eye.

I also highly recommend not putting the foot of the sail in the boom. I ran mine in the boom for years and yes I was able to sail, but when I took it out and flew the main loose footed I was able to control the shape of the main much much better. That in turn allowed me to point higher and be more efficient all around. (I also added a vang to hold the boom down!)
post #8 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

Looks like they repurposed the sail from another boat. I would be tempted to have a sail maker sew the corner with an eyelet back in at the tack to get straight tension from the clew and outhaul to the tack and gooseneck. Just tying a loop to the tack eyelet that is sitting up that high is going to allow the tack to pull away from the mast at an angle away from the track.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-23-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
This sail is interesting. It has the logo on it which makes me assume it was intended for this boat. I agree with Hudsonian, ask the sailmaker if they intended something. If not, Capt Len's idea of a longer shackle or lashing is good. To pull that off simply get a shackle of appropriate length, or a line, and tie one end to the pin the eye on the sail usually goes through and the other side to the eye.

I also highly recommend not putting the foot of the sail in the boom. I ran mine in the boom for years and yes I was able to sail, but when I took it out and flew the main loose footed I was able to control the shape of the main much much better. That in turn allowed me to point higher and be more efficient all around. (I also added a vang to hold the boom down!)
Ben... can you rephrase this: "To pull that off simply get a shackle of appropriate length, or a line, and tie one end to the pin the eye on the sail usually goes through and the other side to the eye."

I've read it 5 times and can't understand it.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-23-2018

I whipped up a quick diagram in Google Draw. This is the extent of my design skills but hopefully it will illustrate better than words
Attached Thumbnails
Mainsail diagram for sailnet.png  
The Following User Says Thank You to blobaugh For This Useful Post:
HipToBeSquare (04-27-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in