'81 Spirit 23 in Charlotte, NC - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 64 Old 05-23-2016

Re: '81 Spirit 23 in Charlotte, NC

Your updates are making me restless to get my own boat out of the water and start on her projects! Waiting on the boatyard since I do not have any land to do the work on myself :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 64 Old 05-29-2016 Thread Starter

So it looks like rain for our trip so I added a bimini top, got it from Amazon for $104 shipped. Had to cut it down quite a bit, it was 46", cut it down to about 33 to fit under the boom so I could use it while sailing.

Oh, and I finally cleaned the top sides!

Link to the bimini (associate link): Amazon.com: Best Choice Products SKY1161 6' 600D UV Waterproof Top 3 Bow Bimini Boat Cover with Storage Case: Automotive

Last edited by tschmidty; 05-29-2016 at 09:14 AM.
post #53 of 64 Old 06-03-2016

What should the overall weight of the centerboard be? Did you glass over the wood?

quote from page 4

--And on a finaly note, I had to plane 1/16 off of my centerboard and added another 5lbs of lead weight at the bottom. There was one bump in the keel cavity that caused it to bind a bit and I wanted to add some more weight anyway. ---

Last edited by Jeff Wigzell; 06-03-2016 at 06:06 AM.

post #54 of 64 Old 06-06-2016

Good question Jeff. I am likely going to have to rebuild mine when I haul Zippey out this week. Last time I rebuilt it I only used plywood with no weight in it. My understanding is that most of the weight is in the partial keel and the centerboard is mostly for lateral motion resistance. If that is correct then any weight in the centerboard will further stabilize the boat, but may not be necessary for general cruising conditions.
post #55 of 64 Old 06-09-2016 Thread Starter

I added about 12 lbs of lead. Plain plywood would just float. Is it is mine needs a little coaxing to get it to go down (pushing the cable down the tube) and really needs about another 4-5 lbs to really sink and pull the board down.
post #56 of 64 Old 06-10-2016 Thread Starter

A couple videos from our sail to Ocracoke. You can see the lines led back tha ti installed, not sure I mentioned that in this thread yet.

We had a great beam reach sail from Oriental, NC to Ocracoke and enjoyed some great days out there. Unfortunately, typical winds coming back are dead on the nose from Oriental. So considering it is 40nm across open water with zero spots to bail out, you are either in a 20 hour day tacking into the wind or you motor it. So the first video is our great sail out, averaged 5 knots in a 23 foot boat on a beautiful beam reach in 15-17 mph winds.

https://youtu.be/q-kEhJd1Roc

The second is the much less fun pounding directly into the steep chop on Pamlico for 9 hours. And yes I know these are only 2-3 foot waves, but they are like 8 feet apart and steep. Nothing dangerous just tiring.

https://youtu.be/ikABR9NTGHs

Anyone know how to embed videos on here?
post #57 of 64 Old 06-13-2016

Looking good!

You should put in the description Spirit 23 sailboat to make your videos easy to find for us Youtubers.
post #58 of 64 Old 07-08-2017 Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my new mast raising system. Got a remote control electric winch for $69 on ebay, and added a bow roller. The bow roller will come in handy for anchoring of course, but I mainly did it so I had a pulley for the winch cable to run over as it goes up to the lever to raise the sail. The remote is so nice, not just for raising the mast easily (no more hand winching), but also works fantastic for loading the boat since i can guide it into place as the winch pulls it in, plus not have to hike out to the winch which is usually over a couple feet of water at that point! To power it, I use one of those small lithium ion jump starter packs. It's compact and about the size of a paperback book (if you remember those). I just bungee it to the winch and clip it on so I don't have to worry about running power from the car battery over water and what not.

In this pic, you see a classic cruiser boat layout with laundry and everything else hanging from the rails. You can also see the new pop top enclosure I made which has actual snaps and such so it handles the high winds really well (ask me how I know). I also brought along a small air conditioner which made sleeping at the beach in 95 degree weather a pleasure. Besides the comfort. the white noise really helps with blocking out marina noise. One of the really nice things about the pop top enclosure is that I could actually put it in the front by the mast rather than the companionway so I wouldn't have to jump over it to get in and out. In a 23 foot boat there is already plenty of contortions and hopping over things to be done. No good pics but trust me it's there!

And last, here's a little video of our trip sailing out from Swan Quarter to Hatteras in a pretty steady 22-23 mph winds. Running with the wind with full genoa slacked out we averaged 5.5 over and hit 9 knots surfing down some waves a few times. Wasn't bad but a bit rolly. When I had to turn into the channel into hatters it got a lot less fun motoring into the wind. Running with it I couldn't even get the motor in the water trying to push it down at 6.5 knots. Got a lot of splash in the face getting over but had a great weekend and another bfs down.

Last edited by tschmidty; 07-17-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Relinked pictures
post #59 of 64 Old 07-17-2017

The images are not loading for me. It is showing a circle with a line through it like it is not allowed.
post #60 of 64 Old 07-17-2017 Thread Starter

Hmm, try now. They showed for me but google is a bit wonky.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in