'81 Spirit 23 in Charlotte, NC - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 64 Old 07-17-2017

Re: '81 Spirit 23 in Charlotte, NC

Yep, I see the pictures now!

I like that mast raising system! I had pictured in my head that the winch was on the boat itself. Nice to have it on the trailer though. Much easier to get the mast up and set on the hard rather than rolling around in the water.

That sail you had sounds epic. What size is your genoa? I had an old 135 that eventually delaminated and blew up on me leaving me with just a 100 and a lightweight 160 drifter. The 135 was pretty awesome in most conditions. The 160 is great in the Puget Sound which has light winds during most of the prime cruising season.

Does your bow not have an eyelet to attach a trailer winch hook to? Now that you have that roller I highly recommend getting an asymmetrical spinnaker. They are easy to handle and make going downwind extra fun. You could tack it right down to the bow roller (I do this on my Lancer 36) but you might want a supporting line running down from the roller to the eyelet on the bow to prevent the roller from lifting off the deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyway View Post
If your going to take the boat off the trailer to replace the keel support, AND your swing keel cable is broken, now would be the time to do the cable pulley mod described in another thread. I highly recommend that mod, if you don't do it you'll be replacing the cable in another few years. Do it and the cable will outlast the boat.
Windyway...

I recently purchased a North American 23 with a broken centerboard cable. I have read and watched all that I could find about the CB cable repair.

I will have the boat in a slip year round and will not be in shoal areas very much (if at all), so I can leave the board down all the time.

So, because of the infrequent raising/lowering of the CB, how long will the cable last?

Many thanks.

Hal Nash
Waldport, Oregon
post #63 of 64 Old 02-04-2018 Thread Starter

Should be fine. The main wear is when raising or lowering since the cable exits at an angle.

post #64 of 64 Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
Should be fine. The main wear is when raising or lowering since the cable exits at an angle.
Thanks for the prompt reply to my post.

I plan to use the boat often and will occasionally crank the CB partially up and down just to keep things from freezing up or binding.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in