SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yikes! New (BAD) Visa reqs Australians to EU in 2021!

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
Stumbled upon this one while looking for something else...

Australians going to Europe have had 3 month stays allowed in the Schengen areas. From next year this 'visa waiver' is to be made more DIFFICULT as it includes some NON-Schengen countries into the European 3 months. This is bad because long stay cruisers now lose Norway as a visa free area.

Croatia stays out of the agreement.

UK and both bits of Irland are outside the EU areas.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/australians

The only bit of good news is that I just got a 6 month Visa (not visa-waiver) for France for this year, Multiple Entry etc. But it was a tad tricky to get.

And I thought the proposals were going to relax the rules a bit... not make them tighter! :(

#5 ·
I believe our Aussie friend has found the pleasures of French wine. If so, they probably won't even let him back into OZ. He'll be like Charlie on the MTA, caught in a web of EU regulations from which he may never extricate himself. lol

#6 ·
I'll take your word for it, but I don't follow the problem. What I have realized clearly, given a US boat, I'm a US citizen and my wife a British citizen, that any effort to cruise our boat in Europe is totally out. Shengen in one maze, VAT because she's on the title is another.

The truth is I've been to Europe enough that I've simply crossed it off my bucket list. At some point, I want to stay within 20 degrees of the equator anyway. Cold and wet suck. It's like chewing peanuts and gum at the same time.

#8 ·
I'll take your word for it, but I don't follow the problem. What I have realized clearly, given a US boat, I'm a US citizen and my wife a British citizen, that any effort to cruise our boat in Europe is totally out. Shengen in one maze, VAT because she's on the title is another.

The truth is I've been to Europe enough that I've simply crossed it off my bucket list. At some point, I want to stay within 20 degrees of the equator anyway. Cold and wet suck. It's like chewing peanuts and gum at the same time.
The VAT issue is likely to disappear with Brexit, right?

#9 ·
One of the other things that seems to be excluded in this new setup is some countries have a bilateral agreement with Australia that goes back decades... and is used over the shengen time... eg Denmark and aussie can staty for 12 months, Netherlands and extra 3 months after the shengen time has expired and one can fly/back in to retsart that clock.
If they all disappear it will be very, very much harder for Australian and New Zealand tourists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.