Australia's Great Barrier Reef is dying. - SailNet Community
 20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Exclamation Australia's Great Barrier Reef is dying.

It looks like those of you that always wanted to see the Great Barrier Reef, may have waited too long...

Australia's Great Barrier Reef hit by 'worst' bleaching - BBC News
tdw, BentSailor, capta and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-29-2016
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Australia's Great Barrier Reef is dying.

Not sure that a "like" is appropriate but yes this is most unfortunate and quite sad.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

"thanks"

...and thanks for the like!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 14 Old 03-29-2016

There's problems with reefs worldwide...

Longest Coral Bleaching Event On Record Hammering Reefs
post #5 of 14 Old 03-29-2016
Living the dream

It's an El Nino year that has had unusually warm weather and a virtually non existent wet season. Similar events occurred in '98. Whilst bleaching can be caused by both too warm and too cool waters, it seems that sediment run-off from the land is also a driving factor.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2016

I was there (Queensland) a few years back - land-based. You had to motor out for 1-2 hours to get to a halfway decent dive site (and I mean halfway decent, not great). I asked the locals and they said the inshore coral had been destroyed by agricultural runoff (nitrates and pesticides).

Much of the remainder of the reef was weakened, not destroyed. Ocean acidification is clearly having an impact, as well as (in some areas) pollutants dumped in the water - although some government action has been taken to reduce this.

And then, of course, there is the Crown of Thorns starfish which continues to do tremendous damage, and is a sadly familiar sight to a bubblehead like me (scuba diver)

I'm just scratching the surface - it's a complex problem, with no single root cause, but right now it seems like the perfect storm for many coral reefs worldwide.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2016
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
I was there (Queensland) a few years back - land-based. You had to motor out for 1-2 hours to get to a halfway decent dive site (and I mean halfway decent, not great). I asked the locals and they said the inshore coral had been destroyed by agricultural runoff (nitrates and pesticides).

Much of the remainder of the reef was weakened, not destroyed. Ocean acidification is clearly having an impact, as well as (in some areas) pollutants dumped in the water - although some government action has been taken to reduce this.

And then, of course, there is the Crown of Thorns starfish which continues to do tremendous damage, and is a sadly familiar sight to a bubblehead like me (scuba diver)

I'm just scratching the surface - it's a complex problem, with no single root cause, but right now it seems like the perfect storm for many coral reefs worldwide.
I blame tourists for a lot of damage. Here's the test: If the fish are friendly, you can bet the coral will be trampled and in a poor state. If the fish are timid the coral is generally pristine. Having said that, tourists only descend en masse on a very small fraction of the reef overall. As for needing to go a long way offshore, that's because for most of the reef's length the "true" reefs are quite a way off shore. There are, however, many areas of healthy reef available to tourists a short run from the mainland in many places.
tdw likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-31-2016
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
I blame tourists for a lot of damage. Here's the test: If the fish are friendly, you can bet the coral will be trampled and in a poor state. If the fish are timid the coral is generally pristine. Having said that, tourists only descend en masse on a very small fraction of the reef overall. As for needing to go a long way offshore, that's because for most of the reef's length the "true" reefs are quite a way off shore. There are, however, many areas of healthy reef available to tourists a short run from the mainland in many places.
That's not too far off the mark.

As kids growing up in FNQ in the '70s we enjoyed scaring tourists that enjoyed "reef-walking" (that's wandering around on top of the reef at low tide, picking up shells and stuff - and is generally discouraged now) a.k.a. "reef-destroying" by telling them stories about all the nasties out there waiting to wound, main or kill them:
- Stonefish (step on one and you'll regret your visit for the rest of your life)
- Stinging coral (lives up it it's name)
- Blue-ringed octopus (venomous)
- Cone shells (will fire a venomous dart at you even out of the water)
- Giant clams (waiting to grab you and hold you until the tide comes back in)
- Moray eels (don't stick your hand in that crevice there - you'll have no fingers left!)

"Hey, look! It's a (totally harmless black-tipped reef) SHARK!!" "Quick, get out of the water.. he's going to eat you!!"

Yep, those were the days!

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office

Last edited by Classic30; 03-31-2016 at 09:19 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-02-2016

Corals have been getting bleached around the world from time immemorial. Most recover and whilst I haven't done the research I'm sure that GBR has been through this before.

I sailed to Seychelles in 2003 - they had a very warm El Niño in 1998 that all but wiped out the coral. Much of the damage was to the inner islands that were located on the Seychelles Bank. The shallower waters exacerbate the El Niño effect with waters even warmer than other deeper-water areas. Mauritius for example lies in much deeper water and wasn't nearly as badly effected.

Seychelles coral is now recovering to some extent (some reefs are not) albeit 16 years later but surely that is evidence that GBR should not be relegated to the annals of history.

Unless of course man-made conditions prevail and recovery is thereby prevented . . .

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #10 of 14 Old 04-02-2016
Living the dream

Exactly. The peanut gallery swallowing the "reef is dying" tabloid headlines hook, line and sinker should dig a little deeper in their research.

E.g.

http://www.aims.gov.au/reef-monitori...n-sectors-2015

On the topic of the current bleaching event, the primary cause is a few months of high SST'S caused by a combination of weather patterns and conditions. Whilst climate change may have some influence, it is not the root cause of the problem which makes CC related discussion in this thread irrelevant.

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/media-room/...t-barrier-reef

Just remember folks, news organisations sell stories. Which can be fact or fiction or anywhere in between.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in