SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   O'Day (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/)
-   -   O'Day 17 ft Daysailer I centerboard help? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/oday/198041-oday-17-ft-daysailer-i-centerboard-help.html)

SilentGhost300 04-24-2015 11:11 PM

O'Day 17 ft Daysailer I centerboard help?

I am currently repairing a 17ft O'Day Daysailer, and the centerboard that came with it is quite shot. and buying a new one is a bit too expensive...
What would be the easiest, and most effective way to craft a new one?
and maybe where a handle could be found fairly cheap?https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...15&oe=55D59840

SilentGhost300 05-11-2015 05:45 PM

Re: O'Day 17 ft Daysailer I centerboard help?

Well...thanks for all the help...

Time Theory 05-12-2015 06:32 PM

Have you looked at the Daysailer.org forum? As I recall they had a discussion on making the board as well as some plans. Keep in mind if you elect to race your DS, the Board will have to meet specifications.

Good Luck.

CalebD 05-12-2015 07:03 PM

If the remainder of your centerboard is otherwise sound it could be repaired with epoxy & glass cloth. In the picture it looks like it is just missing a hunk of material.
The broken edge just needs to be beveled down to 10:1 slant and new material can be glued on.
When you ask about a "handle", do you mean a tiller?

SilentGhost300 05-12-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time Theory (Post 2781442)
Have you looked at the Daysailer.org forum? As I recall they had a discussion on making the board as well as some plans. Keep in mind if you elect to race your DS, the Board will have to meet specifications.

Good Luck.

Thanks, i haven't seen the site before. I'll check it out.

SilentGhost300 05-12-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 2781626)
If the remainder of your centerboard is otherwise sound it could be repaired with epoxy & glass cloth. In the picture it looks like it is just missing a hunk of material.
The broken edge just needs to be beveled down to 10:1 slant and new material can be glued on.
When you ask about a "handle", do you mean a tiller?

It's kind of hard to say. It's mostly hollow with two bits of re-bar. So, i'm not entirely sure on that. And when i say handle, i mean the lever for lowering and raising the centerboard. I can try to get more pictures tomorrow, if that would help.

CalebD 05-13-2015 12:05 AM

SilentGhost,

I should have known you would have said tiller if that is what you meant.

I am unfamiliar with the centerboard raising/lowering mechanism on the ds 17 mk1 but it sounds like a nice piece of teak of mahogany would probably work for the "handle". Use a cheaper wood if you don't care if it doesn't last long.

Your rudder is cored; very common practice amongst boat manufacturers. The core is enclosed in a resin but that watertight seal has been compromised in your case. The edges of the core will need to be covered by a new seal before any repair can happen.

lido1280 05-13-2015 06:06 PM

Awesome, I'm looking at a Daysailer as "The Next Boat". I'd get a nice piece of mahogany and remake it myself it it was for recreational use. My boat class has gone all fiberglass for the foils in new builds but wood is still a viable choice in the class. Dont' see why a Daysailer would be that much different.