Please..New to sailing. Looking at 2 O'day. Help me decide..PLEASE.. - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-13-2016 Thread Starter

Please..New to sailing. Looking at 2 O'day. Help me decide..PLEASE..

I found two that I'd like to look at next week. They are very close in specifications:
1) 1985 35'
2) 1986 35'

I plan to live aboard by myself for 1 year in DC while I work. This will include a full winter there. I will have water/elect/cable, internet. My wife and son will visit for a week every 2 months (free tickets out and back!). I plan to sail the heck out of it on the Chesapeake bay because I will be working 5 day at 12hrs followed by an amazing 5 days off.
Pump out is $15 by boat or free at fuel dock.

After 1 year, I will sail it back to Corpus Christy TX and sail for 4 years. I will sell and then buy a very large catamaran. I will not be keeping this boat for more than 5 years.
During the four years of ownership I plan to sail about 8 months on 3 day trips. I work 5 days on and 5 days off. It takes me about 8 hours to get from New Mexico to Corpus Christy, TX and then 3 days of sailing, then one day drive back. I'm new to sailing with 1 year experence and next month will take the ASA 101,103/104 classes.
I also plan at least one 14 day trip in it each year.

In DC, AC and heating is very important as is a refrigerator due to 24/7 living aboard.

The 1986 has a lot of newer stuff. The 85 has a large black tank and radar (don't know the usefulness of radar yet).

Please look at these two links to the boats and let me know what you think and why. I need to know why you think one is better since I'm new to sailing.

I need to decide in about 1 week. I plan to fly out and check them out and then get a survey done. I'd like to leave NM and move directly to my boat avoiding a hotel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-13-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Please..New to sailing. Looking at 2 O'day. Help me decide..PLEASE..

1986: 1986 O'Day 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1985: 1985 O'Day 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
post #3 of 24 Old 04-13-2016
Master Mariner

I don't see any question at all if you want the mod cons for living aboard. 1986 O'Day 35

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 24 Old 04-13-2016 Thread Starter

I was looking for what experienced people thought which of the two was better and why.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-13-2016 Thread Starter

I was hoping someone with experience about Oday would let me know which one they thought was a better deal and why.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-13-2016

Dock

Have to agree that just based on the descriptions alone, the 86 looks to be a little better equipped overall. The only thing I can see that the 85 has, is the TV and that should hardly be a deal breaker. For basically the same money, I'd go with the 86. Plus, there seems to have been a lot more put into the ad for the 86 versus the 85, which to me does add more weight to it.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-14-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Agreed if everything else shows equal (in person), the 86 looks better on paper (and pictures)... Good to see 2 really nice boats at what appears to be reasonable pricing. These Oday's certainly hold their age well.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #8 of 24 Old 04-14-2016 Thread Starter

What would be a reasonable offer? Would I insult to offer $25,000 for them? A guy out on the east coast says everything is 1/2 off. Offer them half of asking. That sounds very insulting. However, if $15,000 is a possibility....
He says if they are selling them, they are paying for them maybe, maintaining them, birthing them, insuring them, etc. Mostly likely would be willing to come down a lot.
Also, I think this is the best time to sell, so they may go fast.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
He says if they are selling them, they are paying for them maybe, maintaining them, birthing them,
Birthing a 35 foot boat has to hurt, they will probably be very attached to the boat after going through it.

I think the days of boats half off were a few years ago. I think on the boats you are looking at they appear well loved and the maintenance was not scrimped on, which will make it harder to get a steal compared to a neglected boat. You can make an offer and then raise the offer if the first one is not accepted.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 24 Old 04-14-2016
Learning the HARD way...

To put my answer in context, her are my credentials; I own an '87 O'day 35. I am a sailing instructor.

The O'day 35 is a good boat and is well suited for coastal cruising. The integrated swim platform makes boarding much safer than on boats without one. If the decks are sound, then the boat should suit your intended purpose very well.

On both boats the AC system will use up a lot of storage space for the compressor and duct work.

The '85;
What is the draft? 4.5 or 5.5?
The adjustable traveler (with blocks) is really nice, as is the halyard that has been led back to the cockpit.
I don't like whatever was installed under the nav station (those two doors don't belong there).
The entire cabin soule should be teak & holly. You are looking at the pan (not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to know what happened)
The woodwork appears to be oiled (IMHO good)
The engine looks to be covered in soot or belt dust. Sherwood water pump. I would get a separate engine survey and oil analysis.
Those brass reading lamps are an upgrade and nice.
I would bet that the hanging locker has be re-purposed for the air conditioner
The cushions appear to be original and in good shape
The teak eyebrow looks nice, but will be a PITA to maintain
The teak cockpit table is very nice (but I would prefer if it were made from starboard)
I see a frame, but no bimini. A waterproof bimini should be VITAL if you plan to live aboard.

The '86;
This is the shoal draft version of the boat. Important on the Chesapeake, but check for damage to the rudder.
Has the teak & holly soule
Have the cushions been re-covered or replaced?
The sidelights (which should be fixed) have been modified to opening ports?! How well was this (major) modification made?
The woodwork looks as though it was varnished (IMHO bad)
The electrical panel is screwed in place. This is a pain if you ever do any modifications, or have it surveyed.
Again, I bet that the AC consumes the hanging locker.
That Lowrance GPS is worth about $5
The engine looks (marginally) better on this boat. K & N Air Flter and Oberdorfer water pump (better). Again, I would get a separate engine survey and oil analysis.
Starboard cockpit table - Nice!
What is with the grating on the cockpit floor. Many of these boats had an issue with the plywood core of the cockpit soule rotting out. Remove the grating and check VERY CAREFULLY for flex in the cockpit floor, or look up at the underside of the cockpit from the engine compartment. On my boat this was replaced from below with a 5/8" thick plate of aluminum. This was through bolted and epoxied in place.
Teak handrails, toerail and dorades look to be in good shape. Eyebrow has been removed.
Where is the swim ladder, and what are those two black things on the stern?
Personally, I don't care for instruments mounted through the cockpit bulkhead (the 85 did not have this).
Bimini looks good.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 04-14-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in