Navigation Light Dilemma - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-24-2017 Thread Starter

Navigation Light Dilemma

Hi. Please see attached. I was rebedding a toe rail and discovered my starboard nav light is leaking in to the cabin of my '81 O'day 22. It's perched upon a piece of teak that has split. Is it necessary to have the light affixed to this wood or can it be mounted directly? I just bought the boat last year so I'm just wondering if this came from the factory or if it was retrofitted this way. I wonder if it's perched so that I can be seen above toe rail. Any replacement ideas?

I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from a hole drilled through deck for the electrical. Any ideas on how to stop the leak from entering the deck from above?
Attached Thumbnails
navlight.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-24-2017
Master Mariner

Re: Navigation Light Dilemma

If you remove the block the running light is sitting on, the toe rail may partially obstruct it.
Remove the light and rebed everything with the bedding of your choosing (I prefer bedding compound, the product specifically developed for this purpose) and your leak should vanish. At worst, have a new block made by a boat yard wood shop of teak, and then redbed it all.
Attached Thumbnails
bedding cmpd (775x1024).jpg  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 3 Old 10-24-2017

Re: Navigation Light Dilemma

I suspect that the teak pad is intended to raise the light so that it is more visible over the toerail. You will need to remove what you have there and check for any wetness in the deck core where the screws and wires penetrate the deck.

A few options I can think of:

1 - Replace the teak pad with a new teak pad
2 - Replace the teak pad with a pad made from Starboard
3 - Raise the lights and mount them on the pulpit
4 - Delete the pad and mount it directly to the deck, if you don't care about visibility this "would do".

in regards to #2, an alternative to Starboard is generic PVC lumber. I bought an 8ft board of 1x6 PVC lumber from Lowes for ~$30 and have used it for many projects. It's UV stable, never need varnish and is easy to work. I keep finding more uses for it.

In regards to #3, raising the height off the deck to the pulpit is a good idea in general since it makes your lights more visible to other boats at night. Deck level lights are damned hard to see in all but the most benign conditions.

You should of course consider sealing the core where the deck is penetrated and carefully bedding whatever you end up with there. The seminal work on bedding deck hardware is by Mainesail: Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in