O'Day 222 I Need Info & Direction on Repairing Fiberglass Crack in Hull - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SailingUphill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2018 Thread Starter

O'Day 222 I Need Info & Direction on Repairing Fiberglass Crack in Hull

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Forum / Sailnet and Sailing. I'm considering the purchase of an 1986 O'Day 222 that's in very nice condition, but my inspection yielded 3-area's of concern that I'd like your opinion and input on.

Problem:#1 Stern Exterior Body of Boat at Drain (see 1st pic below) on the base of the Transom there's damage with a crack & hole into the body of the Fiberglass next to the Drain.
Question: Is this an easy fix? Can an amateur do the Fiberglass repair or should I only have a professional do it and about how much $ would it cost to repair?

Problem:#2 Stern Interior (near same location as Exterior about 4"-5" to right of the exterior damage at Drain) here appears to be a crack at a shaped corner with signs of water seepage (see 2nd & 3rd pic below). I suspect this is related to the Exterior damage that possibly allows water to leak/seep to the interior through that crack or which may only be a weak point.
Question: If I repair the Exterior at the Drain will that correct this interior damage/concern? If it needs repair; Is it an easy fix? Can an amateur do the repair or should I only have a professional do it and about how much $ would it cost to repair?

Problem:#3 On Interior cabin below wooden floor cover above Keel is a molded form where a conduit with rope enters a molded form to lower/raise the Swing Keel. Underneath the conduit on the interior body are a few visible cracks at the surface of the Fiberglass Body (see 4th & 5th pic below). There doesn't appear to be any Water Marks suggesting it is Dry and that no Water possibly enters the Boat here.
Question: Should these cracks concerns me or is it only surface cracks? Should I consider having those cracks fixed with the other Two mentioned damage leak problems.

I appreciate any insight I can receive from your years of knowledge and experience. Thank you in advance for your Help!

Nick - Eastern PA
Attached Thumbnails
222 O'Day Future Boat 006.JPG   222 O'Day Future Boat 043.JPG   222 O'Day Future Boat 050.JPG   222 O'Day Future Boat 072.JPG   222 O'Day Future Boat 077.JPG  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: O'Day 222 I Need Info & Direction on Repairing Fiberglass Crack in Hull

Ok, by my eye below the scupper drain on the stern under the gudgeon it looks like something struck the hull (likely the rudder), hard enough to punch through gelcoat and into the glass.

I'd say its a bit worse given your other picture, it looks like water has intruded into and behind the glass, and has compromised the backing plate molded into the glass (wood maybe?)... you MAY want to drill a hole (from inside) to see if its wood in the backer, and it rotted. If its dry, you are golden.

Now you are in PA with me... so its possible everything got wet, and froze... the freeze cycle might have made this worse that it should have been, but given that it'd likely leak out (assuming out of the water - which it would be since its a trailer sailor) you are LIKELY ok even if it did freeze (not enough water to matter).

Your goal is to make sure that backer is solid.. if it is, your gudgeons will be OK... if it is softened and rotted, then you MUST cut that whole section out and replace the backer, and the bolts for the gudgeons (not horrific, but still a PITA)...

The other area you are concerned with I am not seeing what you are pointing out.. to me it looks like someone redid that section (and probably correctly but hard to tell), and it seems dry and correct to me. The centerboard mechanisms are notoriously "simple" and it looks to be still in decent shape otherwise. Only way to be sure would be to "exercise" it... sadly in the water, and I wouldn't do that until that other problem is resolved.

Where abouts are you? I'm in Stroudsburg Area in PA...
RegisteredUser likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight. I never gave thought to the board inside being rotted. I'm near Lake Nockamixon, outside of Quakertown PA. Now, as far as drilling a whole I think that's an excellent idea, but would think the current owner might not like that thought and may want to wait until ownership is in my hands; if I decide to buy it.

Nick

post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2018

Uphill's advice is exactly right. You need to drill 1/4" holes in the backer to assess the amount of rot. If the owner won't allow it, any offer should anticipate having to cutout and replace the backer.

Last edited by Hudsonian; 02-11-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

My bad, to see if its rotted without the drilling.... Thump it with a rubber mallet. If it thuds... wet. If it bangs, dry.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2018 Thread Starter

Great idea! Thank you!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2018

Dock

What Uphill said, but... no matter the subject, brown stains are bad.

The brown stains on the inside of the transom are a pretty good indicator of rot. Worst case scenario is that the entire plywood backer is compromised. Replacing it is the opposite of fun, but not a deal breaker. If you go this route, go ahead and install an access port like this in the cockpit liner. It will make the repair easier, and an insert can be installed to make a handy storage space.

West System epoxy has lots of instructional stuff online. https://www.westsystem.com/

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in