Fraser Built Sailboats - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 132 Old 09-05-2017
Senior Moment Member

Re: Fraser Built Sailboats

Pics or it didn't happen.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 11-15-2017

Hi All Fraser 41/42 owners
I am looking at buying a 1983 Fraser 41.
A question: This boat has built in polyester resin fiberglass diesel tanks which seemed like a good idea until the advent of bio diesel which has a percentage of Ethanol and Methanol, which acts as a solvent and attacks the resin. Has anybody had any problems with bio diesel yet?
post #123 of 132 Old 11-16-2017

Mine has steel fuel tanks so no frame of reference - sorry

post #124 of 132 Old 11-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampmachine View Post
Hi All Fraser 41/42 owners
I am looking at buying a 1983 Fraser 41.
A question: This boat has built in polyester resin fiberglass diesel tanks which seemed like a good idea until the advent of bio diesel which has a percentage of Ethanol and Methanol, which acts as a solvent and attacks the resin. Has anybody had any problems with bio diesel yet?
Our boat (not a Fraser) has F/G tankage. I don't know for certain the details of the marine diesel we buy but so far have had no issue with the fuel in our fiberglass fuel tank.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #125 of 132 Old 01-02-2018

Hi All

Just arrived here after digging around for info in the Fraser 41 as I'm in the market for a boat and the 41looks interesting.

There is really very little info on the web about the boat (in fact this thread has the most detail that I can find!) so I was wondering if anyone could chip in on the following....

The Fraser 41 seems to be a proper solid boat but I have seen them described as motor sailors. Can any one shed some light on their real performance, both light airs and heavy weather? What sort of distances are people getting on passages for example? I realise that they are heavy displacement boats and Im not looking for the performance of a modern cruiser, but I'd like to avoid using the engine as much as possible!

Secondly are there any particular issues to be looking out for, I noticed a post about the fuel tanks and bio diesel, obvs boats of this age are going to need maintaining but for example are there any structural issues that regularly pop up? Or is it that there are so few around that issues don't come to light?

Finally does any one know of any formal reviews that have been carried out and published?

Sorry for the list for the list of questions and many thanks in advance for any responses!

Ta.
Olly
post #126 of 132 Old 01-02-2018
Senior Moment Member

The Fraser 41 & 42 are definitely NOT motorsailors. One of the DeKleer brothers won the Vic/Maui race in his - granted a long time ago but still......

Aside from the mouldings they were mostly amateur finished so the quality is all over the map - each one must be taken on its own merits.

I would expect you would be happy with a good one.
Faster likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-05-2018 at 03:21 PM.
post #127 of 132 Old 01-02-2018

I consider the Fraser 41 the 'poor man's Passport 40'.. in many respects the boats are similar, especially if a talented joiner (amateur or otherwise) finished it off.

Many have gone offshore. I personally prefer the 41 to the center cockpit 42 (same hull, different deck and transom)

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #128 of 132 Old 01-11-2018

Star Seeker at Deep Bay - dressing up for offshore :-)
Attached Thumbnails
20171127_165217478_iOS.jpg  
Faster and Towguy like this.
post #129 of 132 Old 03-20-2018

I have bought a steal of a boat from a young lady who has never sailed, now the picture i will attach is before i cleaned it and tidied the deck, but i know its a fraser. i was told its a fraser 30 but i believe its a fraser 31 without the hard dodger on it. i am refitting the whole boat from electrical to water, and i can not find a single piece of info on these boats anyone who has a matter of fact idea of whether it is a 31 or 30 let me know please and if they can provide me with some REAL information on manuals or specs.. not just some wiki page about the history or de kleer would be wonderful. im planning on living on it for the next year with my wife in saltspring island b.c
post #130 of 132 Old 03-20-2018
Senior Moment Member

There was no Fraser 31 - just the 30 raised deck (like an oversized Cal 28) and the 30 motorsailor with the raised house. It also was a little wider in the stern - they split the mould and spread it a little when they built that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Fraser 30.jpg   Fraser 30 MS.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in