SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Orphan Brands (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/orphan-brands/)
-   -   Fraser Built Sailboats (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/orphan-brands/40359-fraser-built-sailboats.html)

erps 02-05-2008 02:19 PM

Fraser Built Sailboats

Any other Fraser 41/42 owners here?

Samhain 10-06-2010 09:46 PM

Hi Ray, I have just purchased Hull #1, 42' centre cockpit. We are excited about completing her as she was neber finished on the inside.
Lew

mandolinwind 11-25-2010 02:28 PM

Fraser 41 CC

I purchased a Fraser 41, 1977 vintage in Vancouver BC a year ago - sailed across to Vancouver Island in 25 knots N.W. and my wife on helm actually loved the boat. All old electronics have now been replaced. Various upgrades to sails, running rigging - installed new propane system etc. etc.
Boat is built extremely well, Glass work is exceptional, surveyed out really well structurally at 33 years and counting. This is a boat you can take anywhere in comfort. Sails well in light airs as well. Some cosmetics to do now but what a boat! Isuzu 53 hp is plenty. Installed new house batts and a Balmer 110 amp alternator and smart regulator - works great. Many years of good boating to be done. Radar is next. Good luck with yours!
S.V. Rain Wolf.

erps 11-26-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandolinwind (Post 670592)
I purchased a Fraser 41, 1977 vintage in Vancouver BC a year ago - sailed across to Vancouver Island in 25 knots N.W. and my wife on helm actually loved the boat. All old electronics have now been replaced. Various upgrades to sails, running rigging - installed new propane system etc. etc.
Boat is built extremely well, Glass work is exceptional, surveyed out really well structurally at 33 years and counting. This is a boat you can take anywhere in comfort. Sails well in light airs as well. Some cosmetics to do now but what a boat! Isuzu 53 hp is plenty. Installed new house batts and a Balmer 110 amp alternator and smart regulator - works great. Many years of good boating to be done. Radar is next. Good luck with yours!
S.V. Rain Wolf.

We've met around a half dozen up in B.C. now. We saw two in Garden Bay, Pender Harbor and we met an owner finished 41 named Shellback at NewCastle Island. The owners are long time members of the Blue Water Cruising Association up there (IIRC) and Shellback is their second Fraser. They finished a Fraser 30 and cruised it back in the late 70's. When they came home, they met a Fraser 41 sailing the other way and the wife asked the husband "what kind of boat is that?" He said "a Fraser 41." She said, "that's our next boat." They bought a bare hull and finished it off themselves. IIRC, it took them 7 years and they were kind enough to crack open their photo album and show us the pictures of their progress. I really admire the sweat equity that folks will put into their dreams. I don't know that I have what it takes to do that.

So Rain Wolf, where are you tied up?

Curtsy 05-25-2011 04:09 PM

Me and my wife are the owners of a centre cockpit Fraser 42 for over 8 years that we call home. Her name is Curtsy since she was launsed in 1978, and she is located in Pender Harbour. Al we know about her is names of privious owners that we tried to contact without any luck. Any one that knows more about her please let me know.
Over the years basical all her systems have been replaced and new equipment has been added. Last thing before we take off that needs to be done this year is replacing all rigging and sails and install roller furlings for Head and stay sails.

Thanks for your interest,

Bert

mandolinwind 02-05-2012 12:08 PM

Fraser owners - 41

Hi Ray - sorry for delay - been a busy year or so.
We are moored in Ladysmith BC at the LMS docks.
Hope to see you on the water some day
Cheers
S.V. Rain Wolf

Kiwi Sailor 02-07-2012 05:53 AM

Fraser 42 - Full Sail

Hi There, Yes I have a Fraser 42 - Full Sail. Now berthed in Gulf Harbour, New Zealand. I have owned her for about 15 years now - A wonderful boat, very sea kind and comfortable.

tinpusher 02-16-2012 11:26 AM

I'm a prospective Fraser 41 or 42 buyer and would like to see one and talk to the owners. I've been searching for the best offshore cruiser I can get with a budget under 100k and I recently was pointed toward the Fraser 41/42. There is not a lot of info available online. I was really hoping for an owners group forum like some of the more popular boats have. If you live in BC or Washington state and would like to show off your boat I'd gladly make the drive and buy lunch.

Thanks
Doug
Surrey,BC

erps 02-16-2012 12:43 PM

Tinpusher,

I ran into the same problem. Part of the reason is that most of the boats were owner finished, so the quality of the finish really varies from boat to boat. We've bumped into several folks who have already been blue water cruising and they have each praised the Fraser as a solid boat.

Kiwi,
I met the man who built your boat. He rowed over to our boat up in Desolation Sound and told me the story of how "Full Sail" came about and how the DeKleer brothers started building their own version of "Full Sail" which became the Fraser 41.

Faster 02-16-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 832246)
..... He rowed over to our boat up in Desolation Sound and told me the story of how "Full Sail" came about and how the DeKleer brothers started building their own version of "Full Sail" which became the Fraser 41.

Ray.. do you know the designer of record for the Fraser boats, then? I seem to recall that the first was designed by an airline pilot..

FWIW Sailboatdata.com credits a David Cook with the design of the F51, which looks like a big sister..

tinpusher 02-16-2012 06:13 PM

Faster, I think you meant Douglas Cook. The name is stuck in my head because it is the same as my own. Is that a sign as to what boat I am destined to get or what? Sailboatdata.com also lists the first 41 as being built in 1979 with owners on this thread reporting as far back as 1977. Maybe it is David Cook and another saiboatdata.com error.

erps, One of you owners should actually start a forum with real facts, ie hull numbers, year built, previous names, where currently moored, common issues....etc. It would be a great way to share information. La Connor is just down I5 from me and I'd love to see her if you don't mind me asking.

Faster 02-16-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinpusher (Post 832383)
Faster, I think you meant Douglas Cook....

Quite right, my mistake.. interesting coincidence, though, isn't it?;)

erps 02-17-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Ray.. do you know the designer of record for the Fraser boats, then? I seem to recall that the first was designed by an airline pilot..

This is the story I heard. An airline pilot designed what he thought would be the perfect sailboat. He built a mold and laid up three boats, one for him and two others for friends. This may have been in the late 60's or early 70's. The DeKleer brothers got the hull mold. Aire and his brother laid up hulls and then sold them to owners to finish them up. Aire and his brother also laid up some Bristol Channel Cutters and some Endurance 35's and three of the Fraser 51's. Aire said the lay up they did on their hulls was robust by today's standards. He was very proud at how strong their boats were. He said that in the big Cabo storm in the early 80's, several boats were washed up on the beach and destroyed. Three boats were salvageable. A steel boat owned by some famous French cruiser, a DeKleer Built Bristol Channel Cutter and a DeKleer built Endurance 35. They pushed the Endurance off the beach with a bulldozer. It was sailed up by the owner and refurbished. The owner of the boat confirmed this account on another sailing website.

Anyway, the way I understand it is that the Frasers the DeKleers were building way back were the Fraser 42's, which was a center cockpit boat. Now along comes a fellow named Roy (can't remember last) He liked the 42 hull. He didn't care for the center cockpit top through. He bought a hull from the DeKleers. He went over to Spencer Yachts and bought an aft cockpit top from them and married up a Spencer top to a DeKleer Hull and made the first aft cockpit Fraser. The DeKleer brothers heard what he was up to and came to take a look at Roy's boat. They liked it. They took some measurements and molded their own aft cockpit top. They reversed the transom on their 42 hull, making their new boat a 41 footer. The Fraser 41 was born.

Roy and his wife went cruising on their first aft cockpit boat named "Full Sail" They got down south and learned that a grand child had been born back home in British Columbia. Mrs. Roy didn't want to miss her grand child growing up, so they quit cruising and sold their boat and went back home. A couple years ago Roy told me that he had heard that Full Sail was still down in Australia or New Zealand.

Now some of the information I got on the airline pilot designer came from a fellow who emailed me and said he was a son to one of the pilots involved in the building of the first three Fraser hulls. He was unaware of Roy and "Full Sail" I don't remember that guy's name now.

Aire DeKleer was still alive a few years ago. He still had files on all his boats and said if I had a hull number, he could pull the file on that particular boat. He was a snowbird when I talked to him last, wintering down south in the states I think, but summering back in British Columbia.

Tin Pusher. You're welcome to come down and take a look at Nikko. You may need to get your post count up to ten on sailnet so you can send and receive private messages. I'll try sending a PM now so you'll have my email address.

Kiwi Sailor 03-05-2012 01:52 AM

Re: Fraser Built Sailboats

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 832246)
Tinpusher,

I ran into the same problem. Part of the reason is that most of the boats were owner finished, so the quality of the finish really varies from boat to boat. We've bumped into several folks who have already been blue water cruising and they have each praised the Fraser as a solid boat.

Kiwi,
I met the man who built your boat. He rowed over to our boat up in Desolation Sound and told me the story of how "Full Sail" came about and how the DeKleer brothers started building their own version of "Full Sail" which became the Fraser 41.

Hi Ray, Good to hear you met Full Sail's builder. She was sailed over to New Zealand by Peter and Pat Psaila, from Victoria BC. We have also had her offshore with a great trip up to New Caledonia and many local coastal trips. She is a great boat. There is also a Fraser 41 in these waters, Ardmachree and I need to catch up with them.

erps 03-05-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

There is also a Fraser 41 in these waters, Ardmachree and I need to catch up with them.
I've emailed Ardmachree a couple of times. She has the same interior finish as our boat.

We developed leaks in two of our chain plates this winter. When we bought the boat, that was an issue that worried me a little, as the way the boat was finished, they couldn't be inspected without ripping some stuff out. I spoke to Aire DeKleer on the phone before purchasing Nikko and asked him to describe how he built the chainplates and described them as pretty much bullet proof. I guess I'll find out this spring when it quits raining and I fix the leaks.

hboy 03-09-2012 10:25 AM

Hi:

Anyone who owns, any idea on the minimum headroom? I am 6'4", looking for a boat with 6'5" minimum. Looks like the same problem as the Corbin 39, mostly owner finished on the inside, so headrooms have to be discussed on a per boat basis as opposed to the design in general.

hboy

erps 03-09-2012 04:20 PM

I'm 6'1" and I have clearance, but not much. I'm pretty sure my boat does not have 6'5" minimum.

Hyrdflyr 04-28-2012 05:28 PM

I just bought the Fraser 41 "Cassie" after selling my Longliner/Jig boat. Glad to hear they are so well thought of. It was the best boat I could find for the money, even in today's market.

I would really appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of the cutter rig sail plan or sail dimensions etc. I am preparing to sail it home to Alaska and am looking out for some spare sails.

erps 04-28-2012 05:49 PM

I've seen diagrams of Nikko's sail plan in the boat file. I'll see if it shows anything for a cutter option.

Hyrdflyr 04-30-2012 01:14 AM

Ray, the sloop sail plan would be helpful also.

Thanks, John

Hyrdflyr 06-23-2012 04:28 PM

I have located the sail plans for Cassie, thanks to the previous owner. I will post if anyone else is interested.

I just got the boat to Seward, Alaska. We were 14 days from Point Roberts Washington to Seward, with headwinds most of the way. We only able to sail for 10-12 hours on the whole trip! The fuel burn was 1.20 US gallons per hour at about 1400 rpm, good for about 6.7 kn with good sea conditions.

This begs a question: for those boats with the Isuzu engine, the fuel efficiency "sweet spot" is about 2200 rpm however due to the gear ration of the Velvet Drive, and the prop pitch, that is not attainable. How are the other Fraser 41s geared, and what prop size and pitch are they running?

It was a learning experience to take off on a 1400 mile trip after just a week on the boat but I would take this boat anywhere at this point.

regards, John

erps 06-23-2012 06:58 PM

We have a Volvo MD17C with a MS drive and a three bladed maxiprop. We motor at 6 knots, 0.8 gal/hr. Fuel consumption goes up the more we push it over 6 knots.

Mollygirl 07-25-2012 08:46 PM

My wife and I have a Fraser 41 that we have had for about 10 years now. She was built by the Dekleer Brothers and the interior in teak and teak and holy floors.
We just returned from a sailing trip and ran into a couple from Seattle anchored near New Castle Island on their Fraser 41. It is amazing the number of folks who you run into who know about the Fraser, not a bad word to be said about them.
We purchased our boat from a couple who had taken her off shore back in the mid 80s and praised her performance. Great offshore boat.

Mollygirl 07-26-2012 07:07 PM

Ray
looking back through my log book I realized it was you who I met at New Castle a week ago. I ran over to your boat Nikko see you but you were off somewhere so I didn't get a chance to talk to you some more.
Andy

erps 08-14-2012 03:34 PM

Greetings Andy,

We just got back last week and yep, that was us. I don't remember your boat name off hand, but I have it written down in our log book on the boat. We had a couple of great sails on our way home. Nikko was in her element sailing close hauled in 20 apparent. We weren't carrying our genoa, but had our jib and full mainsail up and we were passing up other boats on the way down Malispina and Trinicomalie Channel. Took two days for the grin to come off my face. Good seeing you and your boat at New Castle. Sorry we missed your visit. I would have liked to compare interiors etc.

Mollygirl 08-15-2012 01:55 PM

Hi Ray
Good to hear from you, We left Monday and slowly started our trip home.
We had a couple of good sails as well and there is nothing like being in a sweet spot sailing, it does put you in a happy place.
it would have been nice to have spent some time with you guys as well.
We came to an agonizing decision and we are going to put our boat up for sale this fall. I know there will be someone interested in a good offshore ready boat.
It was our dream to go off shore a few years ago but it did not work out.
Take care and great sailing.

missaussierules 01-30-2013 01:57 AM

Do you know anything about the Fraser 41 Manu Tara in Pender Harbour that's for sale?

Mollygirl 01-30-2013 04:52 PM

No I must have missed that one. We did a search for Any Fraser 41s out there that were for sale as we just listed ours for sale.

Faster 01-30-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missaussierules (Post 983115)
Do you know anything about the Fraser 41 Manu Tara in Pender Harbour that's for sale?

Is that the one just outside Gunboat Bay narrows? on a private dock just around from Madeira Park?

I think she's been for sale for a while, seem to remember seeing it there with a sign on it last summer. We have friends in PH.. I could make an inquiry if you like...

missaussierules 01-31-2013 01:27 AM

Hi again,

We have been having a bit of "6 foot itis" and been waffling about if we dare try to buy a bigger boat. After reflection have thought it best to stick with our boat, but if there is any chance the folks with the 41 would have any interest in selling the Hydrovane....or anyone who reads this knows of one for sale....we are very interested in getting a used one.

Thanks everyone! Fair winds. Rose

erps 10-07-2013 03:29 PM

So Nikko made it on to another sailor's blog this summer. We met up with some folks on a Hallberg Rassy 40 in Nanaimo. They tagged along with us up to Desolation Sound. We had a good sail across the strait, close hauled with 15 apparent. The HR40 took some pictures of Nikko's stern, as it got smaller and smaller and smaller. Bwa-ha-ha.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ikko/Nikko.jpg

We met another Fraser 41 in Melanie Cove, "Circa" which was an owner finished boat. It turns out that we knew a lot of the same people who call Roscoe Bay their favorite anchorage. We hadn't bumped into each other before because we typically anchored up in July, while they were anchored up there in August. Small world.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...oattrip031.jpg

The Fraser 41 for sale at the entrance of Gun Boat bay was still there this year.

Faster 10-07-2013 03:36 PM

Great shot of Nikko under sail, Ray! Nice to have those, so hard to get them of your own boat.

When's the big push-off?? ;)

miatapaul 10-07-2013 10:53 PM

That is one beautiful boat! Nice shot of you sailing away from them, are you sure they were't going the other way? ;0

erps 03-09-2014 02:15 PM

http://imt.boatwizard.com/images/1/1...73_1_LARGE.jpg
One of the original Fraser sailboats. The website says:

Quote:

"Justa" is one of the first 6 original molds of the Fraser 42 that the DeKleer bros made famous. These first rugged Center cockpit 42's were built in Vancouver for 6 Air Canada pilots (actually first called Vancouver 42's).

erps 05-29-2014 09:31 AM

So I've had enough folks mention that there ought to be a Fraser website that I registered a Fraser website. It's called fraserboats.com It's not up yet. I got a hold of the owners of "Circa" and when they heard, they called Aire DeKleer up. He's anxious to share and I'm anxious to hear all about his boats. If any other Fraser owners would like to share pictures of their boats, especially while they were building them, I would love to have them. PM me for an email address.

Faster 05-29-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 1881618)
So I've had enough folks mention that there ought to be a Fraser website that I registered a Fraser website. It's called fraserboats.com It's not up yet. I got a hold of the owners of "Circa" and when they heard, they called Aire DeKleer up. He's anxious to share and I'm anxious to hear all about his boats. If any other Fraser owners would like to share pictures of their boats, especially while they were building them, I would love to have them. PM me for an email address.

Didn't realize that Arie DeKleer was still alive.. I think his brother passed away some time ago?

Looking forward to seeing that site up, Ray. goodonya.

Hyrdflyr 05-29-2014 01:47 PM

I think a Fraser boat website is a great idea!

I would hope that someone could access whatever files were available with hull numbers, specs etc, for those of us Fraser boat owners who have been wondering about their boats histories. For instance I have two original plan drawings of center cockpit boats, one labeled Fraser 42 and the other labelled Fraser 41.

Regards,

John Schroeder
SV Hoku Iki, ex cassie

Faster 05-29-2014 01:56 PM

One of our club members owns 'Saw-Lee-Ah', a CC Fraser 42 that is recently back from a multi year Pacific circuit.

erps 06-05-2014 04:34 PM

I spoke to Aire DeKleer this past weekend. I was jotting notes as fast as I could to reconcile some of the different stories I've heard about how their boats got started. He's offered to meet me at Gibson's Landing when we pass through this summer. I'm hoping to maybe get some pictures of their shop and anything else that might memorialize his boats.

Hyrdflyr, when I first spoke to Aire back in 2006, he told me that he still had files on several of his boats and that if I were to give him the hull number he could pull my file. I don't know if that answer still stands, but he was very helpful. I betcha if you wrote him a letter he'd respond.

BTW, Aire is selling his Fraser 41 "Omega". It comes with a large sail inventory, it's finished off inside professionally and it's rudder has been lengthened to better handle spinakers. This is a Vic-Maui race winner back in 1988.

Hyrdflyr 06-06-2014 12:27 AM

Thanks Ray,

I have a bill of sale from Arie to Hans and Elfrieda P. for the vessel "Parallee" License No. 13K65300 but have never found a documentation type number anywhere in the boat. Do you know where it might be located?

Since the boat was listed as built in 1975/77 and first sold by Arie in 1981, I think it was Arie's boat during that time.

I would love to write to Mr. DeKleer. If you have it could you PM me his address please?

Regards, John

Refitting the center cockpit Fraser 42 Hoku Iki, in Seward AK

erps 06-06-2014 09:58 AM

I'll see what I can do. Our HIN (hull identification number) is on the transom, upper starboard side visible from the outside of the boat.

Hyrdflyr 06-06-2014 01:05 PM

Nothing like it on my boat.

Thanks, John

pattihaase 08-08-2014 09:27 PM

Hi guys. I see that Manu Tara is still for sale and has been since at least Jan 2013. Does anyone know anything about her or how to contact the owners? Also, do you know if the Fraser 41 in Gun Bay is still for sale? I'm looking for a boat to sail around the world, possibly singlehanding, and this one seems an excellent candidate. Thanks!

erps 08-08-2014 10:02 PM

We were in Garden Bay last month and saw the Fraser at the entrance to Gun Boat Bay, but we didn't go over this year to see if there was still a for sale sign on it. Aire DeKleer's boat, Omega is also for sale with a large sail inventory.

pattihaase 08-08-2014 10:50 PM

Thanks, Ray! Any idea how to get ahold of Aire? I couldn't find the boat with a quick internet search.

Best,
Patti

erps 08-09-2014 12:06 PM

Elsie and he are in the white pages, Langley B.C.

pattihaase 08-12-2014 12:20 AM

Thanks a lot, Ray. I got in touch with him.

Patti

erps 08-14-2014 10:21 PM

Saw this Fraser 41 leaving Pt. Roberts a couple days ago:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_2616.jpg

Then this rare Fraser 41 center cockpit. The owner is the second owner. IIRC, he said the it was built in 1972. That's an older boat.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_4475.jpg

We came across this Fraser 41 at Jones Island a few years ago:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_0320-1.jpg

and this one in Bedwell Harbor with the modified windows and the deck lifted a couple inches over standard to give a little more headroom down below:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_0306-1.jpg

southbound 08-29-2014 04:13 AM

Hi Ray,

Having recently added the Frasier 41 to my potential boat buying list, I've really appreciated going through the information that you've provided in this thread. As it isn't a boat that's easy to get information on I'm wondering if I might ask a few questions?

Is the hull cored or solid? Is the deck cored or solid?
Is the mast keel or deck stepped?
Are the chainplates glassed in or fairly accessible?
I've seen claimed displacements on the 41 ranging from 19000 to 26000. Do the varying interiors account for most of that?
What are the things to look out for when shopping for one (or owning one for that matter)?
What is Aire DeKleer asking for his? Is there a listing with pics available somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Odin

erps 08-29-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Is the hull cored or solid? Is the deck cored or solid?
The hull is solid and they were laid up thick by today's standards. The deck is cored with balsa in some areas, solid in others.

Quote:

Is the mast keel or deck stepped?
I've been on three Frasers now and they've all be keel stepped masts. That could be an owner preference thing though as most of the boats were owner finished.

Quote:

Are the chainplates glassed in or fairly accessible?
The ones on Nikko are not and again, this varies from boat to boat. We're planning to go offshore in a year or two. Chainplates and standing rigging are one of the last chores on our list. I'm not looking forward to it.

Quote:

I've seen claimed displacements on the 41 ranging from 19000 to 26000. Do the varying interiors account for most of that?
I think so, that and the storage capacity for water and fuel. Nikko carries 100 gallons of fuel and 160 gallons of water. That's pretty high capacity for boats of similar size. We've talked to other Fraser owners that didn't have all that fuel and water capacity. The interior of Nikko is way overbuilt. It looks like it was all done in 3/4 plywood all glassed in then they laid another 1/2" teak like wainscoating over that. So that's interior bulkheads and walls that are around 2" thick. Nikko has a displacement listing of around 22,000-23,000 lbs.

Quote:

What are the things to look out for when shopping for one (or owning one for that matter)?
Fuel tanks and the motor. I don't think I'd buy an old boat without a pretty close inspection of the fuel tanks. I'd want to know the material they were made up, examine their installation and I'd want to get a peak at the inside bottom of the tank just to see what's going on in there. As far as the motor, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, but we have an old Volvo MD17C in our boat that's coming out before we go offshore.

Quote:

What is Aire DeKleer asking for his? Is there a listing with pics available somewhere?
I don't know. He just mentioned in passing that Omega was for sale with a large sail inventory. Aire was a racer and he raced Omega to Hawaii a couple of times.

This winter when I have free time, I hope to get fraserboats.com up and running to start a place to share information about these boats. They're great boats and each person I run into that knows something about them all say they're bullet proof and a great boat.

southbound 08-30-2014 02:43 AM

Many thanks! Sounds like it doesn't have any special issues. I guess the main thing will be sorting out the owner builder variations. I suppose I'd be concerned about how (in some cases) thousands of pounds of extra weight in the cabin would effect the ballast/displacement ratio (and then tenderness/righting moment etc.). Otherwise, she sounds like a great hull.

southbound 09-02-2014 05:19 PM

One more question: Do you know when DeKleer stoppped building the 41 hull? The broker on the one in Seattle I was thinking about checking out thought that it came out of the factory around '92. I didn't think they were still cranking them out that late.

It turns out that this boat has embedded chainplates---definitely not a fan. (You think replacing chainplates on yours will be daunting?) It also has a deck stepped mast which i find surprising. I get that the boats were owner finished but I would have thought the overall design would demand some standardization. Wouldn't the deck have been factory built for one or the other? And generally if the chainplates are meant to be exposed I would have thought the hull would have come with knees for that (unless the designer specified through bolting to the hull). The one in Seattle appears to have another 3000--4000lbs of lumber inside than even your "overbuilt" example. Not sure what the builder was thinking there. Pretty though.

erps 09-02-2014 09:29 PM

I don't know when DeKleer quit building boats. The mold went to Spencer Yachts and they were still building them six years ago when I first learned about the boats

When I asked DeKleer about the chainplates (Because I couldn't inspect them on Nikko at the time of purchase) he described them as angle iron held in place against the hull with built up knees with slots cut into them to receive the portion that protruded above the deck but I also talked to a owner who installed the chainplates himself.

I just checked "Anu" out on yachtworld. I'm wondering where all that extra weight comes from as well. Unfortunately for us, we bought Nikko before the housing bubble burst and paid top dollar for here. That was before the windvane, SSB and watermaker. Argh!

southbound 09-03-2014 03:46 AM

I forgot about Spencer taking over the molds. Have you heard anything about whether or not they laid the hulls up as heavily as DeKleer?

So it sounds like the chainplates were sometimes installed at the factory?
If he truly meant "angle iron", that is seriously scary. I wish I could get this boat out of my head. It sounds like trouble but she's still reeling me in.

erps 09-03-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

So it sounds like the chainplates were sometimes installed at the factory?
If he truly meant "angle iron", that is seriously scary.
Yes, DeKleer specifically spoke about his chainplate installation on some of the boats he laid up.

Yes, I know what you mean, although I know several people that call all angled metal "angle iron" whether it's made from aluminum or stainless steel. Seems like a magnet or a handheld compass held adjacent the hull where the chain plates are ought to tell the story.

southbound 09-04-2014 03:59 AM

Good idea. A carpenter's stud finder maybe. Thanks

Faster 09-04-2014 09:29 AM

Keep in mind that some grades of SS are slightly magnetic...

pattihaase 01-15-2015 07:30 AM

Hi Ray et al. I'm still looking for the right Fraser for me. I've seen 4 of them now, but each hasn't been quite right. I'm wondering if anyone knows any others that may be for sale since the last time I was here. Also, I'm coming up to the NW this spring and would love to meet with you, Ray, and talk about Frasers in person. Please let me know if you'd be willing to do that and I'll pass on my contact info. Best, Patti

erps 01-15-2015 06:53 PM

Private message me when you firm up your arrival to the PNW

ruff 02-10-2015 11:25 AM

The history of the Fraser's

You can Google "DeKleer Bros" and the history will come up

Exceptionally strong boats. Designed by Doug Cook and the molds built by Gene Rufer (my father) Arbutus Coast Yachts has a Fraser 51 for sale "The Last Dance" which was the show stopper of all the sailboats at the 2015 Vancouver floating boat show.

Faster 02-10-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruff (Post 2567529)
The history of the Fraser's

You can Google "DeKleer Bros" and the history will come up

Exceptionally strong boats. Designed by Doug Cook and the molds built by Gene Rufer (my father) Arbutus Coast Yachts has a Fraser 51 for sale "The Last Dance" which was the show stopper of all the sailboats at the 2015 Vancouver floating boat show.

Ruff.. didn't your dad pretty well singlehandedly complete 'The Last Dance' from a hull/deck kit in Gibsons?

btw.. a friend owned (and we sailed plenty on) your Dad's old TBird 'Hat Trick'.

ruff 02-10-2015 02:06 PM

Dad built the hull and deck molds for DeKleer Bros Fraser 51. He also built the hull and deck molds for the Fraser 42+41. The hull and deck for the 51 were laid up by DeKleer Bros. The hull and deck were joined together and then transported to Gibsons to where he did all the remaining work. Amazing craftsman !! He trusted no one else's work and it sparkles in "The Last Dance".

There was 3 Fraser's (originally called Vancouver 42) laid up in our Richmond 1/2 acre backyard by hand. The first one was for the designer Doug Cook named "Halloween" The second one was for my dad Gene Rufer named "Kinohi" The third was for Doug Silver named "Kompai" The DeKleer Bros then took possession of the molds.

Dad did built a T-Bird in the Richmond garage as a hobby which was a work of art of all T-Birds. I don't know if Bonnie named it "Hat Trick"

nramsey 02-18-2015 11:25 PM

Kinohi is still sailing from Vancouver as a training vessel. We took a cruise and learn on her in '89 or '90. She is set up more for off-shore racing than cruising and was a very stable boat to learn on.
I convinced my wife to join me, using the typical magazine photos of luxurious accommodations and sunny skies. I won't repeat what she said when we walked through the pouring rain into that stark interior but she came through the course with flying colours.

jbanderson50 05-01-2015 08:25 PM

Hello my name is Jason. I've been looking for a nice vessel to circumnavigate the planet. While looking on Yachtworld I came across what looks like a nice 1980 Fraser 41 in Surrey BC. Does anyone know the whole story on this boat? Has anyone gone to look at it? Is it any good? I talked to the broker today but it almost sounds too good to be true. Lol.
Thanks for any info you might have.
Jason

Faster 05-01-2015 08:44 PM

Jason, welcome to SN.

That boat looks clean enough, but it's an odd layout and somewhat roughly finished, clearly not a shipwright/joiner type of job.

There are two others nearby, one in Pt Roberts and another in Seattle that, though priced higher, look like much better packages. The one in Pt Roberts in particular looks well cared for and is a much more practical/typical layout for comfortable cruising. At the end of the day, assuming the selling prices stayed at the same differential I think either of the other two would be more worth pursuing - you'd soon forget the extra cost involved and appreciate the improved situation.

All this, of course, assuming the boats appear as good as they look in pics, and that nothing pops up in a good survey.

You could easily make the rounds and see them all in a day.

jbanderson50 05-01-2015 08:54 PM

Yeah I may need to make a trip to the northwest to look at all three. I'll have to combine it with a visit to my sister who lives in Seattle. Thanks for the input. I agree that the boat in surrey seems a little pricy for the little you get. Even if it has little use. It need a lot of work to get her ready for offshore.

jbanderson50 05-01-2015 08:55 PM

I've also notice a 42 named Justa for sale. Do you know anything about it? Seems awfully cheap.

Faster 05-01-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbanderson50 (Post 2755545)
I've also notice a 42 named Justa for sale. Do you know anything about it? Seems awfully cheap.

I've only seen the listing.. looks typical of other 42s I've been on.. though it's the same hull (the 41 has a modified transom) the aft cockpit deck of the 41 is a much more attractive boat, at least to me.

Hard to say why she's priced so low.. Could be worth a look if you like/want a center cockpit. We have friends who did the Pacific Orbit on a 42 that's still going strong. Good boats all around, but with many being owner finished you need to have eyes wide open!

erps 05-02-2015 12:38 PM

There's a gal that came by to look at our boat a couple months ago that has looked at probably every Fraser in BC, Washington and even the one in Guatemala. If you PM me your email address I could pass it on to her.

Brent Swain 05-04-2015 06:49 PM

As 40 ft plastic boats go, Fraser 41s and 42s were some of the best offshore cruising boats built. Compared to Beneteaus Hunters and Catalinas, they are twice the boat at half the price. Moderate deadrise gives them a very comfortable motion at sea. Good hull balance with a moderate sized transom gives them good directional stability. Some of their rudders look a bit fragile but I have never heard of anyone losing one. A long ,wide keel attachment to the hull with inside ballast means no chance of losing a keel and no worries about keel bolts. The hull deck joint with the deck molding turned upward and sandwiching against the extended hull, is one of the best made, similar to the Rawson 30. Minimizes chances of leaks along the rail. One could bolt stanchion bases to them especially with a solid top rail, eliminating thru deck bolts, and the leaks they cause. Those I have seen have 30 inch high stanchions, far better than most stock boats.( Like a bendycatahunt)

jbanderson50 05-07-2015 12:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm now looking at Homer's Odyssey for sale in Guatemala. So if everything goes well I will hopefully be able to join the ranks of Fraser owners soon.

southbound 05-07-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Swain (Post 2761681)
As 40 ft plastic boats go, Fraser 41s and 42s were some of the best offshore cruising boats built. Compared to Beneteaus Hunters and Catalinas, they are twice the boat at half the price. Moderate deadrise gives them a very comfortable motion at sea. Good hull balance with a moderate sized transom gives them good directional stability. Some of their rudders look a bit fragile but I have never heard of anyone losing one. A long ,wide keel attachment to the hull with inside ballast means no chance of losing a keel and no worries about keel bolts. The hull deck joint with the deck molding turned upward and sandwiching against the extended hull, is one of the best made, similar to the Rawson 30. Minimizes chances of leaks along the rail. One could bolt stanchion bases to them especially with a solid top rail, eliminating thru deck bolts, and the leaks they cause. Those I have seen have 30 inch high stanchions, far better than most stock boats.( Like a bendycatahunt)

I was seriously looking at Frasers at one point until it appeared that most had glassed in chainplates. If true, this strikes me a bit like welding an engine into an automobile. When even the inspection of chainplates requires sawing through joinery and grinding away the hull from the inside, chainplates are likely to be neglected to the extent that catastrophic rig failure becomes a real threat. And replacing the chainplates could require through-bolting from the outside of the hull. While Fraser wasn't alone in this practice (many IPs and some Passports utilize(d) embedded chainplates), I can't think of any excuse for it. Seems like it creates a disposable boat.

Brent Swain 05-09-2015 05:54 PM

Nothing better that chain[plates bolted to the outside of a plastic hull . Easy change to make

erps 05-10-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

While Fraser wasn't alone in this practice (many IPs and some Passports utilize(d) embedded chainplates), I can't think of any excuse for it. Seems like it creates a disposable boat.
Chain plate work is actually on our to do list next year so we won't have to throw the boat away.

Brent Swain 05-11-2015 05:13 PM

If there are no bolts on the glassed in chain plates and you want to go for external chain plates taping into the old ones will give you the most leak proof holes you can get, treating the old ones as backup plates. Water is less likely to leak thru treads than thru smooth thru bolts.

jbanderson50 05-11-2015 06:48 PM

I'm just curious. Has anyone actually had an issues with the chain plates? And by anyone I mean owners of Fraser boats. It clear what mr swains onion is on them being glassed in and I have no problem with anyone having an opinion. But have the Fraser boat had a history of chain plate issues or is this just a perceived problem?
I work in aviation and there are lots of parts that have glassed in fasteners. Weather it be threaded inserts or studs. The key is weather they were constructed correctly in the first place.
does anyone have a drawing of how the chain plates were installed?
I came across the Fraser 41 because it was listed by several consultants as a good boat for offshore cruising. I wouldn't think they would recommend the Fraser if there were major issues with the design of the vessel.

Faster 05-11-2015 07:23 PM

Have you seen this thread? Not a Fraser.. but perhaps (not sure) similar technique.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...placement.html

erps 05-11-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

I'm just curious. Has anyone actually had an issues with the chain plates? And by anyone I mean owners of Fraser boats.
We don't know whether we have issues yet, but the chain plates always concerned me because we couldn't inspect them. Once we start digging into one or two next year, we'll have an idea whether they all have to be done or not. I don't think Aire put the chain plates in all his boats, so different owners may have had different ideas on how the job should be done.

southbound 05-12-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Swain (Post 2774450)
Nothing better that chain[plates bolted to the outside of a plastic hull . Easy change to make

All depends on the boat. Many have cored hulls above the water line and I can't think of a worse idea than through-bolting through a cored hull. But other than that (and the fact that, to me, external chainplates are really ugly), there isn't anything wrong with putting them on the outside, so long as it is done well.

southbound 05-12-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 2775866)
Chain plate work is actually on our to do list next year so we won't have to throw the boat away.

No, you never HAVE to throw the boat away. No matter what issues a boat might have, there will always be a dollar figure that will save it.

tdalke 06-04-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrdflyr (Post 864540)
I just bought the Fraser 41 "Cassie" after selling my Longliner/Jig boat. Glad to hear they are so well thought of. It was the best boat I could find for the money, even in today's market.

I would really appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of the cutter rig sail plan or sail dimensions etc. I am preparing to sail it home to Alaska and am looking out for some spare sails.

Hey Hyrdflyr,

Where in AK is your boat located? My wife and I are in Juneau and we're about to head south to check out a few Fraser 41's.

Dana Marine Service 07-08-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbanderson50 (Post 2755529)
Yeah I may need to make a trip to the northwest to look at all three. I'll have to combine it with a visit to my sister who lives in Seattle. Thanks for the input. I agree that the boat in surrey seems a little pricy for the little you get. Even if it has little use. It need a lot of work to get her ready for offshore.

Dear Jason I am the Marine Surveyor and owner of Dana Marine Service Marine surveyors and I must tell you that Ari De Kleer has his own Fraser41 for sale and they sell around $86,000 and well worth every penny.I think it might be the vessel Ari won the vancouver to maui race several years back. This is an engineered racing hull sailing racing and racing hulls come at a premium. Racing Folk will tell you that is a very fair price for a racing hull when they can pay 4,000,175 for 1 carbon fibre sail and throw it away after one race These racing folks will jump at a Fraser 41 endurance class. Especially one that Ari finished all the mahogany bright work himself. It is a classic hand roved fibreglass hull and looks like it just came out of the yard.

ayachts 03-03-2016 07:38 PM

Hi Ray,

My wife and I are the original owners of "Nikko", she was christened and named in honor of my wife Nikki. She was originally brought to the states in an unfinished condition with about a foot of water in her interior, over the cabin sole. We owned and lived aboard and cruised Nikko for nearly 15 years. During that time we finished her interior, stepped her mast (there is a commemorative coin under the mast step placed when we first stepped her spar) and took care and pride in her as she did us. We both have extremely fond memories of our times aboard this Fraser and think very highly of the DeKleer Bros. It would be a treat for me to once again go aboard and learn of her travels since our stewardship. Are you still in the area? Please feel welcome to call or email me if you are so inclined.

Best regards,

Pat Jutte
206-940-7329

erps 03-03-2016 09:16 PM

Greetings Pat,

I'm very thankful that our friend "Faster" gave me a heads up about your post here. We're pulling Nikko out this spring for a new motor and standing rigging. Susan Jasman said you had a coin under the mast and we wanted to get it back to you. I also wanted to find out what you knew about the engine compartment cover. It looks like it's designed to come off, but holly cow! it's on there good.

Nikko has a watermaker now, a hydrovane, we pulled out the marine toilet and put a composting toilet in and we're fixin' to rig up a solent stay for a heavy weather head sail. The guys from Ballard Sail made us a head sail that fits the boat beautifully. We were passing up boats left and right when we got some wind over 10 knots.

I don't get over here to Sailnet much anymore. I dropped you a private message with my home email. We're in La Conner and we'd love to have you up.

Ray

djodenda 03-03-2016 10:28 PM

I believe you will be delighted with how well Ray has taken care of Nikko. We've been aboard and she is a remarkable boat.

sproatlake 03-14-2016 08:27 PM

Hey guys, Jesse here!

I've been looking all over for a bluewater boat and have been looking at tons of boats, and this came up. From what I hear, it needs the wood re-finished (I build furniture and do interior carpentry for a living) and some paint and things (mast step), but what do you guys think?

the opinions and advice I've gotten from this forum so far has been invaluable to me, and you guys are great.

Thanks a ton!

the listing is

1974 Fraser Center Cockpit 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

miatapaul 03-14-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sproatlake (Post 3391785)
Hey guys, Jesse here!

I've been looking all over for a bluewater boat and have been looking at tons of boats, and this came up. From what I hear, it needs the wood re-finished (I build furniture and do interior carpentry for a living) and some paint and things (mast step), but what do you guys think?

the opinions and advice I've gotten from this forum so far has been invaluable to me, and you guys are great.

Thanks a ton!

the listing is

1974 Fraser Center Cockpit 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Well the price is right, but it won't be ready for blue water for a LONG time and a LOT of money. that motor looks shot (not that you can tell from a photo) the electric looks frighting, those propane hot water heaters are terrifying(trying to kill whoever is in the v-birth?), and of course the cushions are destroyed, and dated. My guess doing the work yourself, it would take 40,000 to 50,000 to get this back up to snuff. Replacement engine is going to 18-20,000++ at least, the electrical will be $4000+ in materials, cushion fabric alone is going to be 4,000 + foam, plumbing will be several thousand, good set of sails will be $10,000+, cabinetry will be another $10,000, floors will $4000. My biggest thought is if they (says same owners for 19 years) would install or even use those water heaters, what else did they do that was unsafe? If all the decks are good, and outside is at least as good as the photos, then it is a doable project assuming you have had a few boats before.

She is pretty, very pretty, but don't let that blind you.

Raindog is selling his boat, ready to go for a lot less(smaller though) than this will cost all in. Unless you are looking for a project.

Faster 03-15-2016 01:17 AM

We have friends just returned from 11 years offshore on their Fraser 42.. while this one might need some work, it's got great bones. Certainly a capable vessel, as is the (IMO) prettier Fraser 41 (same hull, aft cockpit and more streamlined deck plan) These are solid, well built boats but many were owner-finished from hull&deck kits so fit and finish varies.

sproatlake 03-15-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatapaul (Post 3391865)
cushion fabric alone is going to be 4,000 + foam,

Uhm, 4000? I grew up doing custom fabric work with my parents. that seems... mighty steep for some fabric, even if you were to do it in cordura, or some other bulletproof nylon, I couldn't see it anywhere near there...

engine for 18-20 "at least?"

I've found them all around 7,000... CAD...

I'm not trying to devalue what you have said, I just am trying to be realistic about pricing things out, being 22 and all and not having an unlimited budget, and doing most of it myself.

but I am interested in hearing about the other boat that is for sale. Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks so much

sproatlake 03-15-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 3392273)
We have friends just returned from 11 years offshore on their Fraser 42.. while this one might need some work, it's got great bones. Certainly a capable vessel, as is the (IMO) prettier Fraser 41 (same hull, aft cockpit and more streamlined deck plan) These are solid, well built boats but many were owner-finished from hull&deck kits so fit and finish varies.

That's kind of my line of thinking. I mean, theoretically, you can sail something with no interior across oceans, it's not my major concern. I don't require fancy finishing or any of that (although I'm capable of achieving it) it seems like a bit of a waste on a boat that I intend to surf, freedive, fish, and live out of..

Faster 03-15-2016 02:33 PM

If you're doing your own upholstery then of course the costs will come down. I expect that mpaul was thinking of having the cushions recovered professionally (and paying for it) in which case for a boat with that many berths/settees etc his estimate is conservative. Add more for new foam (quite possibly well advised) But if you can DIY that's a big deal.

Again, repowering costs suggested includes R & R and labour involved, so an $8K engine becomes a $16K install pretty quickly, and maybe more after shaft mods, re-propping, etc etc. Especially when changing platforms, there can be a lot of work in rejigging mounts, stringers, spacers etc.. all costly.

There's a thread here on 'RainDog' a Pacific Seacraft and a fine offshore voyager being for sale.

There's a bit of BC loyalty in seeking out a Fraser, there are several 41s and 42s for sale locally, I believe, or at least there was a few weeks back. Try Craigslist and Kijiji as well as Yachtworld. I think they are great boats for what you want to do... The two below are local, there are several others in various locations offshore on Yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...a#.VuhbheIrK70

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...a#.VuhbqOIrK70

sproatlake 03-15-2016 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 3393169)
If you're doing your own upholstery then of course the costs will come down. I expect that mpaul was thinking of having the cushions recovered professionally (and paying for it) in which case for a boat with that many berths/settees etc his estimate is conservative. Add more for new foam (quite possibly well advised) But if you can DIY that's a big deal.

Again, repowering costs suggested includes R & R and labour involved, so an $8K engine becomes a $16K install pretty quickly, and maybe more after shaft mods, re-propping, etc etc. Especially when changing platforms, there can be a lot of work in rejigging mounts, stringers, spacers etc.. all costly.

There's a thread here on 'RainDog' a Pacific Seacraft and a fine offshore voyager being for sale.

There's a bit of BC loyalty in seeking out a Fraser, there are several 41s and 42s for sale locally, I believe, or at least there was a few weeks back. Try Craigslist and Kijiji as well as Yachtworld. I think they are great boats for what you want to do... The two below are local, there are several others in various locations offshore on Yachtworld.

1983 Fraser 41 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1980 Fraser Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Fair, and this is true. (about the DIY stuff) I never really think about paying for the labour.

I notice these are 41s! haha It seems someone has a preference!

miatapaul 03-16-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sproatlake (Post 3393129)
Uhm, 4000? I grew up doing custom fabric work with my parents. that seems... mighty steep for some fabric, even if you were to do it in cordura, or some other bulletproof nylon, I couldn't see it anywhere near there...

engine for 18-20 "at least?"

I've found them all around 7,000... CAD...

I'm not trying to devalue what you have said, I just am trying to be realistic about pricing things out, being 22 and all and not having an unlimited budget, and doing most of it myself.

but I am interested in hearing about the other boat that is for sale. Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks so much

Well reports here for engine replacements here from people who have actually done it, doing most of the work yourself have been far higher, does that 7000 include a transmission? how is your shaft? new shaft and log or PSS seal is going to be at least a grand. New exhaust, well there goes another grand, new transmission is a couple of grand, new prop, well there goes another boat buck. I have yet to see a new diesel even with diy get installed for under 15,000 and that is for a much smaller boat. Generally the engine is about half the cost of the install (materials only) so even using your 7,000 motor you are looking at 14,000 to start with. You are going to want at least 50 HP on that boat, preferably more.

Upholstery, unless you can find a hodgepodge of mixed fabrics is going to set you back at least 50 to 60 a yard, possibly far more if you want something very durable like Ultrasuede that runs well over a $100 a yard. Keep in mind you will likely want to use matching UV resistant fabrics, not what you find on the discount rack at the local fabric store. You will need a lot of fabric, so odd lots won't work, unless you want all your work to not increase the value of the boat. If you are only 22 (especially if single) I would concentrate on boats no bigger than mid 30 foot, the Frazer listed is good for a full family with kids, if you don't have that you are just going to waste your money maintaining an unnecessarily large boat. I live on a 33 foot boat and have plenty of room, could use more storage, but it is more of a racer than a cruiser so there is not a lot of storage on her. I have been on 27 foot boats that would be good for living on, and actually planed on something more that size.

With boats the costs to maintain it go up way more that just by boat length. So a 30 foot boat will cost less than half to maintain than that 42 foot boat. So do your budget a favor and look smaller, and cruse longer.

The two boats Faster posted are TONS better boats, at least by the photos.

Here is rain dog's posting.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacifi...-dog-sale.html

sproatlake 03-16-2016 01:32 PM

Appreciate it! I forgot about bimini fabrics and the like, that being said, I think I have a 400 yd roll of ultrasuede in the basement here somewhere. Leftovers from the clothing empire...

maybe I should consider selling it off?

I've been looking at 30-36 footers for cruising, it just seemed that they were a little bit small for all my stuff (I have a lot of gear)

miatapaul 03-16-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sproatlake (Post 3395265)
Appreciate it! I forgot about bimini fabrics and the like, that being said, I think I have a 400 yd roll of ultrasuede in the basement here somewhere. Leftovers from the clothing empire...

maybe I should consider selling it off?

I've been looking at 30-36 footers for cruising, it just seemed that they were a little bit small for all my stuff (I have a lot of gear)

Leave the gear behind, you wont need it!

sproatlake 03-17-2016 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatapaul (Post 3395465)
Leave the gear behind, you wont need it!

Shortboard, longboard, paddle board, climbing gear, freedive equipment, kiteboard kite, camping gear, spares, food, fishing equipment, dinghy, shotgun, outboard, spares, spares, spares, spares... I get your point but still...

If I'm not bringing the stuff to enjoy the places I go, as well as the sailing, is it really worth going?

I'm a massive gearwhore by the way...

But I guess I can save room with the lack of clothes I need... Just a couple pairs of shorts, a few t shirts and my third world work boots (flipflops)

Faster 03-17-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sproatlake (Post 3396457)
But I guess I can save room with the lack of clothes I need... Just a couple pairs of shorts, a few t shirts and my third world work boots (flipflops)

Maybe... but not until you're well south of the California/Oregon border, even in summer. We left Victoria in July of '86, wore everything I brought - even the Mustang Cruiser suit until we got to Eureka.

For a taste go do a Swiftsure race in sparkling sunshine....

sproatlake 03-17-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 3396705)
Maybe... but not until you're well south of the California/Oregon border, even in summer. We left Victoria in July of '86, wore everything I brought - even the Mustang Cruiser suit until we got to Eureka.

For a taste go do a Swiftsure race in sparkling sunshine....

that's true. On days like today I forget it can be cold up here

erps 05-08-2016 11:13 PM

Nikko is getting her new motor. We pulled out the MD17 and we're putting in a Beta Marine 43. Probably the hardest part was getting the engine cover off. The galley double sink cabinet covered the motor and was screwed into the floor. Several of the screws were not accessible and had to be cut off by inserting a jitter saw blade between the cabinet and the floor from inside the cover.

Loading additional tools into the boat, a milk crate at a time:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...50_resized.jpg

Old motor exposed:
[IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_5490.jpg[/IMG]

Gantry assembled in boat, getting ready to lift the old motor out.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_5493.jpg

Hooking the new motor up to the forklift stinger for the lift into the boat.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_5513.jpg

New motor being lowered to the companion way:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_5529.jpg

Pulling the new motor into the boat onto some blocks so gantry and can be assembled again for final lift and locating new motor mount holes.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_5530.jpg

There she sits, nice and shiny!
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/IMG_5532.jpg

Faster 05-08-2016 11:47 PM

Hey Ray! Great to see the renewal.. Bigger job than expected??