New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 126 Old 10-21-2016
Chief

Re: New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch

Thanks so much for the sage advice! I hope I can return the favor or at least pay it forward!
Once I figure how to up load photos I attach them to this thread.
Once I hit 15 posts I can then PM.
I think the foam filler in the bow stowage compartment was OEM.
I am getting more and more excited working on my first boat!!
Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 126 Old 10-22-2016 Thread Starter

Parker Dawson/Midships are a small community so the more you know the more you can help others out so paying it forward goes a long way.

If you need detailed pictures or measurements of either of our boats do let me know.
post #23 of 126 Old 10-27-2016
Chief

Hey Allan, this is my first attempt to up load pics on this site. Let me know what you think re. the engine bay. I had to show off my boat too.
I welcome any suggestions for buying a rebuilt or used powerhead and sail drive. I can do rebuilds if parts and service manual are available. I'm picking up some great ideas from your projects. Very helpful.
Thanks again.
Shannon
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1785.jpg   IMG_1789.jpg   IMG_1743.jpg  

post #24 of 126 Old 10-28-2016 Thread Starter

Good looking boat! You've done alright on that one.

Looks like someone added the pedestal steering as the tiller steering cable is still in the engine bay.

Not much of anything left of the saildrive stuff but the hole. If you want to go back to original equipment, you are looking for a Balwin Saildrive unit. I would seek the unit itself and not worry about the power head, I am pretty sure you could spend 15 minute on your local Craigs List and have a running 9.5 Evinrude outboard to poach the head off of for less than $250 in your hands. You DO NOT want an OMC unit, just a Balwin. They did not make a ton of these but they are around, do some calling to some used marine parts places and see if someone has one sitting about they can cut you a deal on. If you get the majority of it, most of the rest can be made out of chunks of metal and a saber saw (that's how Balwin did it) We will have Staggs out soon and will take pictures. In reality, these are just an adapter that goes in the hull that allows you to attach an otherwise standard Evinrude outboard lower end to an otherwise standard Evinrude outboard power head. Not much to it, but you will need it!

I would see this as an opportunity to make the jump over to a standard inboard diesel. The original diesel in these us the Yanmar YSE-8 which is what I have in mine. It's a fairly dated design and is quite large/heavy for all it does so I would measure to see if you could fit a more modern (and easier to find) 1GM10. Dealing with adding the tube and shaft, the motor mounts etc will be a nuisance but it will only be a nuisance once and after that you will have power on demand and a very economical means to putter great distances sipping fuel when sailing is not practical (inland waterways, windless days, etc).

Post up some pics of your cabins, looks like you have a "Deluxe" model, I am curious what that looks like in the Midships time frame.
post #25 of 126 Old 10-28-2016 Thread Starter

This is the saildrive unit in Staggs prior to us cleaning it all up. As you can see, it's mostly just fabbed up plates and commercially available bits and pieces that sort of allow everything to bolt together. In a pinch, I am pretty sure you could make all this stuff yourself, there's no intricate castings and such involved, mostly just drilling holes and cutting/welding plates. They were CLEARLY made by hand, one at a time, in a basic work shop, you can see in the above picture for instance where someone came in from the side with a band saw to cut the inside circle freehand rather than springing the extra money for a hole saw.
post #26 of 126 Old 10-31-2016
Chief

As requested some additional views.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1766.jpg   IMG_1756.jpg   IMG_1755.jpg   IMG_1753.jpg   IMG_1752.jpg  

post #27 of 126 Old 10-31-2016
Chief

And four more. I'll send some of the full forward and aft cabins tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1773.jpg   IMG_1772.jpg   IMG_1770.jpg   IMG_1768.jpg  
post #28 of 126 Old 10-31-2016
Chief

Yanmar diesel is a good way to go. I downloaded specs for the engine including the SD10 SD. Need to take some measurements. Way the engine bay appears I would have to have the engine facing aft. Not sure that is doable. May require a smaller powerhead. This boat is worth investing in a tier 1 motor and SD.
Just speculation at this point. Once I'm more knowledgeable and learn to avoid ban assumptions and common mistakes I'll commit to a particular engine and drive. Long learning curve here.
Shannon
post #29 of 126 Old 11-01-2016

Hello, nice sailboat! Would a tacoma pull this boat ? I believe I have a 6000lb tow package
post #30 of 126 Old 11-01-2016 Thread Starter

@bzohio68

That's probably a better question for Toyota guys than us. My Parker Dawson with its inboard diesel, fully loaded for cruising tanks full etc, tips the scales at just at 6000 pounds on it's tandem axle trailer. With much less stuff and the gas inboard Staggs boat weighs noticably less but we have never ran it across a scale. If Toyota means up to 6000 is fine, you should be fine, if they mean 6001 pounds will destroy time itself then I might be worried. My Tundra is rated for 8000 and it seems to do just fine.

@cw3hogan looks great!

Glad to see I was not the only one who's thought to stick a plate rack there. If you want to double up your coffee cup capacity you can fit 4 of the USGI melamine coffee cups in that holder. I do like the silverware behind trick, I wish I had thought of that.

If you search my posts you can find a tutorial on converting the Kenyon Homestrand stove you have over to Kerosene. That worked stellar and made that a much more useful cooker.

Quite a bit of floatation foam in there!

My YSE 8 diesel engine is fitted facing forwards (the normal way), to service the front of the engine I get to do a little bit of the cat with his catnip mouse stuck under the refrigerator act fishing around in there but it's pretty manageble even on the relatively huge YSE engine. I can take detailed pictures for you if it helps. Access to the transmission and the exhaust elbow is excellent from the back end obviously.

Last edited by Aswayze; 11-01-2016 at 01:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aswayze For This Useful Post:
bzohio68 (11-01-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in