New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 126 Old 11-01-2016 Thread Starter

Re: New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch

A few other mentions as well:

The original light fixtures while somewhat dated looking do lend themselves to easy conversion to LED, nothing more to it than just switching bulbs. Stagg wanted a red or white option so we switched his front cabin lights over to 2 position switches and added sockets for red LEDs as well. Switched to LED, you get really good lighting in there and we rarely run my 110V lights even when at the dock.

If you look at your paneling, you will notice that there are cut outs behind several places where the paneling is solid. We gained a lot of useful cubby space by opening up matching holes on the panels and gaining access to the space behind. It's easy to see on the boards, just look at the dust marks on the back and trace yourself out a suitable oval and go to town.

Stagg opening up some space on his.

We also gained some additional use out of that area by attaching 48" flat web bungees along the line of screws that secure the panels in place. These have proven WILDLY handy in practice and were a cheap and easy mod.

You can see some in use in the back cabin behind nappy time Windy here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 126 Old 11-08-2016
Chief

Some more views of the fore and aft cabins.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1844.jpg   IMG_1843.jpg   IMG_1842.jpg   IMG_1841.jpg   IMG_1840.jpg  

post #33 of 126 Old 11-08-2016
Chief

Starboard profile. I'm still just doing survey at this point. The plate and cup rack I believe was OEM but great idea. I can't believe anyone would use shag carpet in this fine sailboat!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1846.jpg  

post #34 of 126 Old 11-09-2016 Thread Starter

Looks really good!

Have you winched your keel up and down a bit yet to make sure everything is moving? You can generally get a bit of movement on the trailer and at least make sure everything is free.

Your back cabin seems to have a combination of the great throne box that came on Staggs Midships encasing the porta john and the vanity that came on my Dawson. That does seem to eat up a good bit of space. Are you planning to keep it or are you going to reduce it in size and stash the head elsewhere?

You also have the odd panels over the cut outs in the back that Staggs midship had. On the Dawson, they have little bookshelf cubbies in there. We copied them and they pretty much just popped right into the recesses on the Midships as well. It was an easy project requiring nothing much more complex than a mitre box.

post #35 of 126 Old 11-09-2016
Chief

There used to be an actual marine head in the movable console. There is a macerator motor still attached. You can see the outlets on the transom. They are well situated above the waterline. I intend install a new (or used refurbished) marine head. I'll have a porta-potty placed in the niche in the forward cabin.
I like the cubby hole storage set up. Very nice cabinetry! I shall plagiarize your ideas shamelessly!
post #36 of 126 Old 11-10-2016 Thread Starter

By all means, help yourself.

Here are the basic measurements copied off of mine:

post #37 of 126 Old 11-10-2016 Thread Starter

This may also be of interest to you. It's the updated style latch for the front hatch. We have been less than impressed with the front hatch retention on Stagg's Midships and are making a set of these up for his, It's not much harder to make 4 than to make 2 so I'll make you some up as well.
post #38 of 126 Old 11-10-2016
Chief

Just WOW. I agree, I have very Micky Mouse OEM front hatch latches. I'll take you up on the kind offer and let me know how I can repay you guys. Your gracious sharing of information, time in replying, and just plain being great shipmates warms my heart. Thanks for including me in your project!!
I'm going to set up the rigging and sails this weekend and check EVERYTHING. Lots to do. Still doing a survey expanding my list of TTD. Working on my boat is very therapeutic.
Shannon
PS.
My wife and I are visiting our oldest Coast Guard son and family next week near the SF Bay Area . There is a Marine Engineering outfit recommended by my brother in Sausalito that rebuilds marine engines. I'll see what they have to offer.
S.
post #39 of 126 Old 11-10-2016 Thread Starter

Make sure you get good measurements so you know your space constraints, even if they don't have something they may know a clever solution. Obviously if you happen to spot a Baldwin saildrive you should think about it a bit too.

Staggs front hatch has blown open in wind storms out here... It's absurd... The Parker Dawson style hatch latch is WAY more secure.
post #40 of 126 Old 11-15-2016 Thread Starter

East Wind and Sunflower pulled out and derigged for highway transport in preparation for a final trip of the season down to Kentucky Lake.

One last hurrah for 2016 before we finally admit it's time to winterise and tarp everything up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in