New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 138 Old 07-22-2017

Re: New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch

Thank you!!!
I greatly appreciate your help. Just looked at my sheave, looks pretty straight.
I will document my keel removal the best I can. However, it is still few weeks away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 138 Old 09-01-2017

Hi all,

I am interested in the PD26 and have found one near me. It's a '77 Dawson that apparently was never sold by the dealer. The only problem is (as mentioned in an earlier post), it's drains clogged and the cabins filled up. Interior is wrecked and the motor (diesel) is ruined. Hull and sails never used. Seller is asking ~1000, also includes the original trailer. I am handy, but not a carpentry/motor expert. How hard to redo the interior and replace the engine (the original is gone)? Any other motors that would work? Is there a risk of hull damage from years of water inside? Are rudders available? How hard would it be to make one? Any other ideas/advice? Not much on PD26on the web.
post #63 of 138 Old 09-02-2017 Thread Starter

That is a fairly common problem. The Parker Dawson's cockpit drains get clogged and as the water in the cockpit rises, there is simply nowhere to go but into the cabins.

Good news is, these are VERY solid little boats and believe it or not, they survive that sort of thing much better than you might think.

Stagg reworked a Midships 25 (same boat, different name) that suffered from the same problem.

This is the Flickr album showing the process: https://www.flickr.com/photos/558558...57659925972816

Mostly just a mess. The cabinetry, oddly enough, cleaned up just fine after sanding cleaning, and refinishing. Stagg had only one bulkhead that needed fixing and it was not all that significant so it's been ignored so far.

Having had a diesel means that the repower should not be too tough to do, just round up another YSE-8 and drop it in would be the easy route. The main issue with other engines you will find is height. I have pictures of a 1GM10 Yanmar installed without modification and other pictures of the little Beta 14 generally installed with some modification to the hatch to gain a bit more clearance.

As far as being an expert, just work on what you can as you can and soon you will be expert enough. None of that stuff is as tough as people like to make it out to be. Get some Don Casey books and brew up some coffee, you'll be fine.

post #64 of 138 Old 09-02-2017 Thread Starter

Rudders...

Not really available. I had a spare, but it's being used by Stagg. They are not really a super high tech item, you can just make one.
post #65 of 138 Old 09-02-2017

If you need a direct replacement for your engine. I got a perfectly running YSE8 out of my PD 26.
post #66 of 138 Old 09-03-2017

For Stagg:
What would you guesstimate you put into the "resurrection" of your boat, both time-wise and dollars? I know and completely understand that time and money is somewhat, "besides the point", but I will need to get the idea of doing this past my SO.

BM99
post #67 of 138 Old 09-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusPD26 View Post
If you need a direct replacement for your engine. I got a perfectly running YSE8 out of my PD 26.
I suspect shipping that thing would be cumbersome I live in Virginia.

WHat did you use to replace the motor?
post #68 of 138 Old 09-04-2017

The replacement motor is Honda BH15 Power Thrust.
FYI shipping to Virginia via FedEx Freight would be around $350.
post #69 of 138 Old 09-04-2017

The cost in time and money? I keep that a secret from myself, since it would be bad for moral if the facts got out.

Here is my take on it (as well as a guesstimate)

The time is as much as you put into it. As an example of time needed. The interior is mostly made from the fiberglass liner. There are some plywood bulkheads, the cabinet doors, the kitchen drawers, and most aggravating the locker lids under the cushions. I am not a cabinetry maker and we managed to make things work, so skill is not the limiting factor.
You could very easily replace the area under the kitchen counter with shelves and doorless openings (which would increase storage space tremendously) and for the want of some wood trim have a very functional boat.
Your time to do enough woodworking to be sailing would be a few weekends of work and ready to go in this regards.... heck you will spend more time scrubbing the slime off the fiberglass than doing this minimal woodwork.

There is of course a whole list of things that also need doing.

As for money? I have spent thousands, and have been pretty frugal too.

The question is what do you want the final product to look like?

This is the short answer: If you want a nice PD-26 as seen in the brochures then buy as nice of a PD-26 that you can afford.

If you can not afford a nice one now, save your money and buy one a couple of months from now. The amount of time you will save working on projects, and the amount of boat/sails/motor you can get by buying a complete boat is hard to beat!

I have restored (with very generous help) several old houses, vehicles, and now boats, and can safely say that the purchase price of a nice boat/car/house is very close to the overall COST of restoring a junker. The difference is your time and the final result.
The reality is that buying the boat/trailer for $1000 and then spending another 5-6 thousand on all the tiny junk needed to finish it, would be a lot easier to just buy a nice sail-able boat up front.

I have as of this writing restored my Midship-25 to nicer than stock condition in most regards. It needs some finish work, and paint, but is very capable.
It was a complete blast to challenge Lake Superior for two weeks this summer, and I trust the boat.
These boats make for a very doable project.

Why did I go this route?

-Foolishness, maybe.
-Being broke, but determined to start sailing (meaning fixing boat stuff).
-But the real reason. I wanted something different from the original! and I knew it from the very beginning. Why buy a nice boat, and then tear it up to remodel it?

And even then...... it probably would have been cheaper to buy a nice, maintained boat.
MrRoger likes this.

Last edited by stagg; 09-04-2017 at 11:21 PM.
post #70 of 138 Old 09-05-2017 Thread Starter

I will add the following having also been involved in Staggs boat project.

How much did it cost Stagg?

Answer: All the money...

Let's contrast that to my boat which cost me $7000 more than Stagg's and was deliciously well equipped.

How much have I spent on my boat?

Answer: All the money... In fact, without a shred of doubt I have spent more on mine than Stagg spent on his. Why? Because both Stagg and I are the "spend all the money on the project" kind of guys. Prior to these things we both had M151 military jeeps that we spent all the money on, before that we had M35A2 deuce and a half trucks that we spent all the money on. It happens that I am currently better positioned money wise than Stagg so my spending "all the money" happens to add up to more than his.

Truth is, he could have raked all the junk out of the cabins washed his boat off and been sailing (admittedly poorly) the next day. Likewise, I could have done little more to mine than than pay the mooring fees and still be sailing but in both of our cases we are the types to constantly improve bits at a time every aspect of anything we are working on so whether it is a Parker Dawson 26 or a collection on Precious Moments figurines, we would spend all the money on it...

Short answer, rake the muck out of the cabin be prepared to fill and drain the bilges approximately 500 times to finally rinse the last bits of the stink mud out from under the floors. Sand and refinish the cabinets, adjust the drawers as needed. Replace all the locker lids if they need it. Rummage up a motor then start sailing. Only you know what you eventually want to do, once you figure that out start spending all the money to set your boat up to do it.

For what it's worth, if you want to spend more money up front you should look at Justins PD26 up in Duluth. He's got a very nice boat with 90% of the hard stuff already done. https://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/d/...244209867.html I assure you that if Stagg or I had this boat available when we got ours we would have grabbed it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in