New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 126 Old 09-05-2017

Re: New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch

Thank you both for the insightful answer to my rather pedestrian question. I pretty much thought as much as you two said. In any case, I've got another line on a mothballed (20+ years in storage) PD26 "relatively" close to me. Needs work, but more approachable. The boat in Duluth sounds great. Duluth is a LONG way from Virginia though, so I'll probably pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 126 Old 09-05-2017 Thread Starter

If you have links or pictures of the boat you are looking at post em up and we'll be happy to look things over and see if there are any obvious watch outs for you.
post #73 of 126 Old 09-13-2017

How hard/easy is it to launch and re-trailer your boats? What do you tow them with? In one of the pics I see a Ford sedan (Crown Vic?) How did that work?

post #74 of 126 Old 09-13-2017 Thread Starter

I tow mine with a Toyota Tundra V8 with a tow package. It does just fine. Stagg now pulls his with an Ford E350 van. I also own the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor that you see pulling SV Sunflower. It did OK, the CVPI has plenty of power and the police package includes a substantial transmission cooler so no issues there. We were just moving Sunflower from one level parking lot to another which is a fairly simple task. I am not so sure I would want to have to try to pull a Parker Dawson up a slick boat ramp with that car, the Police Package cars are not great handling vehicles on slick surfaces. I would say that about any V8 car would pull one Ok, better if you add a transmission cooler, best if you can manage a ĺ ton or better pickup truck or van just for the added braking power and weight.

Launch and recovery goes fairly well for a boat that size. The biggest trick is raising and lowering the mast. If you have a few people around, it’s just a matter of shoving it up, if you are shorthanded, you can use the gin pole rig that these guys came with. The boat you are looking at almost certainly has the bridle laying in the bottom of a locker somewhere, if not bug me and I’ll send you the measurements off of mine so you can put one together.

Going into and out of the water is not too bad once you develop a system, the only real trick to it is to makes sure that the keel ends up centered on the trailer and that once it is out you do not neglect to lower it down so that the keel is resting on the trailer rather than hanging from its cable.

It should tell you something that Stagg and I tow our boats all over for vacations. If it was as harrowing to launch and recover as many of the other boats I help pull out every fall and launch every spring up here at the local lake I would not be subjecting myself to that sort of abuse for vacations.

Stopped for lunch in Duluth on the way home from the Apostles in 2016

Last edited by Aswayze; 09-13-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #75 of 126 Old 09-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusPD26 View Post
. In addition I made my own boat stands .
Here are few pics of few modifications and my boat stand:
Can you tell me about your DIY boat stands? Looks like steel? Do you have the specs/dimensions? Does it work well? I may need to build stands or a cradle
post #76 of 126 Old 10-08-2017

The boat stands are:
48" tall X 42" wide. The base is 5' long 3" X 3" angle iron. The posts are 2.5" x 0.25" square tubing. Adjustable plates are made from 10" X 10" 3/8" steel plate, topped with 1/2" CDX plywood.
Pivot assembly is a ball joint] with 5/8" cross bolt.
post #77 of 126 Old 03-18-2018 Thread Starter

Some updates on the winters festivities!

Firstly, the plant I am working at is closing after 115 years of operation so I will either be relocating or jobless soon. I was prepared for this and one thought is to take this little demon out cruising for a few years. I will likely do the responsible thing and relocate instead as long as the package is good but the cruising trip does tempt me so.

Anyhow what been going on over the winter?

This thing... This thing... This is my Yanmar YSE8 diesel engine. Firstly let me point out that it runs flawlessly. It consumes nearly no fuel starts instantly and has never given me a lick of trouble. However... The previous owner had ran it for some time with a hole in the exhaust elbow which resulted in the entire engine bay being quite sooty and icky.

Not kidding, it's icky. No oil leaks at all but the soot situation was quite out of hand.

Engine came out without too much of a fight and after several days cleaning and scrubbing as well as cleaning up some of the fiberglass work down there it's got new paint and is ready for the return of the engine.

Engine got a new injector, new cylinder and rings and everything else checked out. This is it right now, going to rework the bearings and impeller in the raw water pump and add the wiring harness later today but it's basically ready to go back in sitting on new mounts. I also used the opportunity to make myself up a set of Yanmar special tools on my lathe since however the winds may blow me in the future I will likely not be taking my trusty old SouthBend with me.

Shaft is out, nows a good time to redo the Cutless bearing.

Since the engine bay work was guaranteed to make a mess, all the cushions came out for the winter. While everything was out I attacked the interior with the 3 inch Groits polisher and then waxed everything up. Should be much easier to keep clean now.

I probably over think things... I had a Weems and Plath clock that just did not keep perfect time. It did ok, but it tended to lose time over too short of a period for me to trust it with nav work in the event I ever get goofy and try to use my sextant again. I saw these clocks in an ambulance last summer (don't ask) and thought that might be a neat clock to switch to. The new clock keeps perfect time.

Conveniently, it came apart well enough for me to add tritium beta lights to the hands and clock face as well so it's night readable.

My boat came from the factory with a *****in 8-track player that allowed the original owner to listen to his BeeGees tapes while sailing. Over the years it was upgraded several times and by the time I got it, it was all set up to listen to Pearl Jam CDs pumped to the max via a Clarion amp and EQ. Naturally, the multi generational nonsense meant it was a birds nest of wires and I had all manner of do dads, knobs and levers right where I would much rather have a cubby to keep me nav stuff in. Out came the stereo bits, I relocated a Fusion stereo tucked way back in the footwell of one of the aft quarter berths and just ran a little remote up here. This means I can access all the music I care to from both the tiny wired remote, the MFD in the cockpit or the Tablet.

And the remote is even an NMEA repeater so I can get info right there at me quasi nav station.
Towguy likes this.
post #78 of 126 Old 03-18-2018 Thread Starter

And the dingy madness of 2017-2018...

I had bought this little Achilles LT2 since it packs up quite small and takes up basically no space when not in use.

We used it up on Lake Superior last summer and it did OK but was honestly a bit small when there are two people and would be right out of the question if you had 3.

So I says to myself, I should get one of them Avon things. Stagg has a Redcrest that packs up reasonably small and is a MUCH better boat. I found this nice little Redstart on Craigs List and managed to get the owner to ship it to me at a reasonable price. TaDa! Now I have a much more reasonable dingy for carrying 3 people +groceries with ease.

Wait what? Why is there another boat on my dining room table? (Who can believe I am single eh ladies) I found this Avon 8 on Ebay reasonably cheap shipped and thought I would give it a try. It lands between the Redstart and the Achilles size wise and again packs up small so soon enough we will be able to have the ultimate trailer sailor dingy shootout!
Towguy likes this.
post #79 of 126 Old 03-25-2018 Thread Starter

While I had my Yanmar out I thought I would post up a few notes on it for any other Parker Dawson owners who happen to have this power plant.

This is the YSE-8 sitting out of my Parker Dawson 26. It's a pretty sizable thing for no more horsepower than it makes and it's pretty tough to really see or take pictures of much when it's installed so I thought this would be the time to take a few pics and explain a few things while I have the thing out and easy to photos.

The YSE-8 does not have a spin on oil filter. Instead, they have this odd filter system which relies upon you, as the owner, occasionally rotating this little fellow on the front of the engine. Pretty easy to do, just know it's there and you need to do this little bit of preventive maintenance. I crank mine daily when I am using the thing. You are supposed to, from time to time also remove the entire thing and rinse it clean in some fresh diesel to really clean it out. You just remove the 3 M6 hex head bolts and it pulls straight out. Note that there is a sealing oring there that you definitely need but the good news is it's the same oring that the standard Yanmar fuel filters use so you quite likely have a spare in with your fuel filters. (You do carry spare fuel filters right?)

There is a handy compression release on the valve cover. This is a handy add on when you are bleeding your fuel system or if you happen to run your battery down and need to give a low battery a bit of a run at starting the engine.

Under the head there is a handy drain **** that you can use to drain the water out of your engine when winterizing. You will want to open this drain from time to time both to drain the system and also to remove any sediment that accumulates in the low point of the system which inconveniently happens to be the water jacket right under the lower part of the cylinder and the head. If you happen to open this valve and no water comes out then I would suggest hitting it with a few spurts of compressed air to beak the sediment up and get it to flush free.

The exhaust elbow... The OEM exhaust elbows are cast iron. They can be prone to rusting and can soot up. If you end up replacing one, like I did, there are stainless steel versions available.

Also do heat wrap them since not doing so can cause you to melt nearby fiberglass in the fairly small Dawson engine bay.

If you have not figured out that the YSE-8 is a thumpy hoppy motor then you probably have not started your engine yet. Do keep an eye on your engine mounts. They can "seem" good but be separated at the bottom edge. You don't want that!

If you are like me and would prefer gauges to unlabeled idiot lights, you can remove the idiot light senders and replace them with standard senders for both oil pressure and engine temp. Keep in mind that the oil pressure is 1/8 BSP threads so you will want to use a BSP to NPT adapter before attaching your sender.

There is a zinc on the water jacket right beside where the thermostat goes in. Cheap insurance on a raw water cooled boat.
post #80 of 126 Old 04-03-2018
Chief

Hey Allan,(Stagg too) I had a hiatus over a year due to my wife's cancer. She passed away in February. So I put my boat on hold. I'm back and planning to get the boat in water this year. So anyway do you have a recommendation for an outfit that can build stays etc? My side stays are frayed on my Midship 25.
As I said before I'm going electric to include PV panels etc. I'm going to order through Thunderstruckmotors in California for the drive system. I need to get a sail drive off of an Evinrude to match up to the motor. So glad to be back on board and I will post pics of my progress either on this thread on start a new thread.
Cheers!
Shannon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in