New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 126 Old 04-03-2018 Thread Starter

Re: New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch

I am sorry to hear about your wife, that is a serious drag.

Stagg has a complete operational saildrive coming out of (or potentially already out of) his Midships 25. Near term, I would give some serious thought to just getting the whole system and plunking it directly in since that would get you fully operational in a days work. From there, I generally find that it is a great deal more pleasant to work on a boat that does something other than loom down on you from it's trailer in the boatyard. At least when you get mad working on things with the boat in the water you can go swimming.

Also just so happens that he is currently working with some riggers down there to get new stays made for his boat so you could quite likely just get him to double up everything since he is already pulling all of his rigging to get the new stuff made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 126 Old 04-06-2018

Indeed it is already out. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it is sitting in the shop out back waiting its turn.

I'm about halfway through the rebuild of my yanmar, and am not looking back. So if you are interested in the saildrive we can certainly figure out how to get it shifted over to you.
It may be small and light enough to literally mail in a box.... I will have to look into it.

We used to joke about using the dewalt drill as emergency power to spin the saildrive, I suppose an electric motor would be straight forward to rig.
post #83 of 126 Old 05-06-2018 Thread Starter

Making progress towards having a boat again rather than just a very tall and inconvenient travel trailer.

With Stagg's help we used the mast crane up at the lake to noodle the engine back into place. In theory this gets the engine off of the table in the middle of my shop....

Except of course it doesn't since he left another engine on my table...

I was watching the Free Range Sailing guy on YouTube as he replaced some bad mounts on his Yanmar and he made up some clever spacers to try to end up with the engine sitting a little lower on the mount once it's adjusted down. Seemed like a pretty clever idea to me so I cut some sections of phenolic board to use once I start lining everything up.

Since I already had the aft cabin stripped to avoid getting everything dirty from the great soot monster I figured it would be a good time to pull apart the rudder scabbard and overhaul everything there. Everything came apart easily enough other than the pivot bolts which were pretty solidly stuck in there with corrosion. The big impact finally shook them loose.

These guys are fitted with 1/2 ID 5/8 OD 5/8 long 3/4 flange nylon bushings easily enough found at most places that sell lawn mower stuff. I thought about going to bronze oilite, but the Nylon seems to have lasted pretty well and I don't need still another dissimilar metal.

I painted it with Brownells Alumahyde II matte black paint. I have found Alumahyde to be an exceptionally good paint for adhering to aluminum and of course I just so happened to have a can on hand.

Naturally the tiny central Iowa tiki god of spray paint was angry so I ran out of paint literally THIS close to being done. Oh well, another can ordered....

One more tip for you Parker Dawson owners out there. The slot for your rudder in the back of the hull will admit some amount of water in during rain. Occasionally when you get pooped by a big wave it lets more than a little in. Not a huge deal, it runs down to the bilge hopefully sucker punching the mud dauber wasps along the way but it can get the stuff in the inset portion of your cabinet wet. If you prefer to keep your Harlequin romance novel collection dry, it is worth slathering a layer of glass over the top of your cabinets here. I will not be seen once installed but will keep your goodies a little drier.

post #84 of 126 Old 05-24-2018
Chief

Hey Allan! Your rudder scabbard is more robust than my MS 25 ensemble. I am shamelessly plagiarizing your ideas i.e. nylon bushings, Allumahyde II paint, and fiberglass enhancements. My oldest Coast Guard son and family are visiting this Memorial weekend and we will be setting up the rigging with the new stays from Zern Rigging, Check all sails and just have a damn fine time. We will also be placing the Flag on my wife's gravesite (she was in the Women's Army Corps.) Have a wonderful safe Memorial weekend.
Shannon
post #85 of 126 Old 05-24-2018
Chief

OH, yeah, a question re. my Midship 25 project. Would you guys mind me posting my boat's (SV Second Wind) progress on this thread? I figure consolidation of ongoing projects of practically identical boats would be helpful to other owners of similar
craft. Otherwise I'll start my own thread.
Shannon
post #86 of 126 Old 05-24-2018 Thread Starter

Do it, of course!

Yes, the Parker Dawson's scabbards are a little built up compared to the Midships. Need to get a picture of the scabbard on Prodigal from Roger, his boat seems to be the turning point for some of the transition from Midships to Parker Dawson.

We'll have to get some notes from Daniel on Yeraz's scabbard as well since it looks still different again.

I am just about to get East Wind in the water, hopefully this weekend. It is starting to get hot and crappy out here and it is a lot more enjoyable to work on the boat bobbing around at the mooring ball that sitting in the middle of a gravel parking lot.

A few pics of recent jobs:

Who needs a milling machine! (I do) Using the lathe and a big two flute 1 3/8 end mill to mill out a slot for the adapter plate for my masthead wind indicator

Newly built plate locked into place and fastened down nice and tight.

Wind indicator installed.

Got the Schaefer furler apart and replacing the bearings.

Got the new Icom installed and on the network. (Now hopefully I will get AIS on the plotter)

The original stuffing box was a 1 1/4 using a adaptor hose to the 1 1/2 shaft log. I was not wild about that, and once I switched to a new 1 1/2 stuffing box I needed a bit more clearance around the shaft log. I made up a spud on the lathe and adapted a hole saw to it so I could keep it straight and skim out a little bit more space.

Quick buff and wax
post #87 of 126 Old 07-01-2018 Thread Starter

Rearranged the solar a bit. Was not terribly happy with the flexo panels so went back to rigid. New arch built, currently mounting just a single 100 watt panel, will add another later. Moved one 100 watt flexo panel up forward of the mast where it gets better sun as well and now we are making good power again.

Ready to pull out of the water on July 4 and head up to Grand Marais for a few weeks up on Lake Superior!
post #88 of 126 Old 07-08-2018

For those who want some nail-biting suspense.

SV Eastwind was Launched this long holiday weekend at Grand Marais MN, and is currently snuggled in at Windigo, Isle Royale.
I am stuck on dry land, and hence am providing shore-side support and SAR based on their float plan.

The weather up there is rather serious at the moment, but Isle Royale is basically a series of Fjords and Hurricane holes radiating out from a spikey rock center.
So they are safe and sound, with a plan to sail from one bombproof anchorage to the next. Eventually crossing to the Keweenaw Peninsula..... and lets just see what the weather allows after that.

Most Recent Report:
N 47 54.730
W 089 09.473

Overnighting at Windigo floating dock. One motorsailer at anchor in Harbor, one sport fisher tied up at ferry dock. Otherwise the place is empty. Much much warmer in here even though the wind is howling.

Uneventful trip, too much motoring as the promised wind did not materialize till late in the day.

Did pass fairly close to Rock of Ages and got a good picture.

Saw only Seahunter and 3 local fishing boats all day.

Note that Google phone has some degree of coverage at Windigo slightly up the hill.

End Report:

I will update Notable events, but we don't expect a lot of pictures during the trip. The connection to the outside world is pretty spotty up there (perfect reason to go)
Lots of cool pictures will show up afterwards I'm sure.

If you are out sailing Lake Superior in the next couple of weeks, be sure to wave if see a 26ft Center cockpit sailboat. White with green trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Marais Harbor SV EW.jpg  

Last edited by stagg; 07-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stagg For This Useful Post:
MrRoger (08-17-2018)
post #89 of 126 Old 07-27-2018

Got the GoHoist to lift my PD26!
Attached Thumbnails
LG 01.JPG   LG 02.JPG   LG 03.JPG  
post #90 of 126 Old 07-28-2018 Thread Starter

Wow! A hoist AND indoors AND a tile floor? I am going to go work on my boat at your house, that looks ever so much better than a boatyard.

How do you like your hoist? Stagg and I are likely to buy one this fall for the same job.

As an aside, when you get a moment, snap a pic of how the keel cable attaches to the keel. Roger, the guy out in Idaho who owns Prodigal, was asking me about that the other day and I have not yet seen that part on mine since the home lake is murky and the only clear lake I travel to is Lake Superior which is forbiddingly cold and therefor not so inspiring to dive in and take pictures.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in