Keuka Lake, Branchport to Bluff Point - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Port of Rochester, NY

Dock
Keuka Lake, Branchport to Bluff Point

Just completed an incredible stay on Keuka Lake for 4th of July week, 2019. My parents rented a house with a dock in Branchport which is on the North end of the Western Branch of the Y shaped Finger Lake, aka Crooked Lake, now called Keuka Lake. I trailered my Catalina 22, Shucky Ducky, from her home port of my driveway in Greece (Rochester), NY and splashed her in the lake at the public ramp within Keuka Lake State Park. Tip, after 6 PM ET, entrance to the State Park and boat ramp is free. My wife and I sailed her over to the dock with little wind, thus we used our iron sail, Tohatsu 6Hp, for a good bit of the hour and half journey. The lake is very deep, as all Finger Lakes are, but our dock was in 3 to 4 ft of water. That’s why I love the retractable keel and raised rudder and outboard capabilities of Shucky Ducky. We docked with ease and I was in heaven and looking forward to a week of beautiful lake sailing. Lake Ontario, my home lake, is once again experiencing very high water levels and many of the boat ramps close to me are closed. I’ve been able to launch from Braddocks Bay, which is OK but requires a further drive than my favorite ramp on the Genesee River that empties in to Lake Ontario. Anyways, that’s another topic. On Keuka, I was joined by my wife, my parents, my sister and her husband with their two kids and my youngest son who was able to get a couple days off work to join us mid-week. The house can easily sleep 10 people and is managed by Finger Lakes Property Rentals. I managed to sail for 6 of the 7 days we were there. The winds were mostly South, Southwest so I was either tacking or jibing across the lake to get to and from the house. I’ve owned Shucky Ducky for 2 years now and sailed her 12 or 13 times. This was by far the best sailing I’ve been able to do and being surrounded by the beauty of Keuka Lake made it a surreal experience. By day 3 I was able to sail to and from the dock with no engine needed. When I had another 1,2 or 4 crew on board, I put the headsail up along with the main and we gracefully moved across the lake with ease and speed. The best sail of the trip was the most shocking to me. I, along with my sister, motored from the home dock all the way to Bluff Point which is where the fork of the Y shape lake is. It took us almost 2 hours under power, no sail, at a gentle 3.5 knots. 200 yards off Bluff Point we ate our lunch and enjoyed bobbing around and taking in the glorious scene around us. Spotted an Eagle too I believe and a sea plane that took off and landed about 500 yards from us to the West, town of Pultney maybe? After lunch, I decided to give it a go with sailing all the way back home. With winds blowing 8 to 10 knots, gusts of 12, we made it back in LESS time than we motored down! We averaged 4kts and at one point hit 9kts during one of the sustained gusts. Shucky Ducky looked regal in her heeling and I beamed with joy the whole way back, passing other sailors and motorboats along the way. My sister handled the head sail and I worked the main and rudder. We jibed like pros even though this was our first sailing experience together. It was simply amazing. The other great event was fixing my Tohatsu. I didn’t do a Winter maintenance on the engine and had used it a few times this year with no problems. However, she died on me in the middle of the lake during one of my outings. Luckily, there was enough wind, 3 to 5kts., to get back to the dock. Having never worked on any engine before, I researched the web, Sailnet, and YouTube and determined I didn’t really have a major issue, just gummed up the jets, carburetor and fuel filter having not done a proper Winterization. Lesson learned! Nevertheless, I went to Morgan’s Marine in Penn Yan and was able to find the proper items needed to perform the fix myself. I performed the tasks and with luck, the Tohatsu was humming like new again! Thanks to all if you who share your knowledge so guys like me can benefit and build their experience. The fireworks show on the lake was enjoyable, thanks to my brother in law who is brave enough to set them off each year. We did our show from the shore with many others doing the same and about 25 boats watching from the water. It was crowded out there! What a trip, I’d love to go back but there are so many destinations in the Notheast that our family tends to find a new place each year versus returning to a known spot. Thank you Keuka Lake and the friendly boaters. What an incredible week of learning, sailing, spending time with family and enjoying God’s beauty and blessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Port of Rochester, NY

Dock
Forgot to attach these pics ....
Attached Thumbnails
E46187DA-30FD-4750-9743-5E852476A835_1562523401056.jpeg   1625E93E-6E6D-4ABB-A797-B9A370EC73B9_1562523437984.jpeg   7CB3AA1A-057A-4F0C-94B5-EE198A655314_1562523457750.jpeg   7084815F-CAD4-4362-8FFB-3FF0D679FB83_1562523504722.jpeg   CC9E860D-5CC5-4755-B366-128D329E1D05_1562523535890.jpg  

post #3 of 4 Old 07-07-2019
Administrator

Re: Keuka Lake, Branchport to Bluff Point

I am glad that you enjoyed your sailing trip to Keuka Lake. Keuka is a really wonderful lake to sail on. It is long enough to be interesting and the winds can be challenging coming straight down the lake with odd side gusts coming out of openings in the hills. I have not been there in a while but enjoyed the Glenn Curtis museum.

I also would always make a stop at Sunderland Boat Works to look at their wooden boat restoration and replication projects and have also stopped at the Penn Yan Boat company plant. Unfortunately Dan Sunderland passed on about 10 years ago and so I assume that his facility has closed. Penn Yan closed their 1920's era plant around 2000 or so so there is nothing to see there either.

We used to have another Sailnet member who sailed and kayaked her boats on Keuka Lake.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Keuka Lake, Branchport to Bluff Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43N77W View Post
Just completed an incredible stay on Keuka Lake for 4th of July week, 2019. My parents rented a house with a dock in Branchport which is on the North end of the Western Branch of the Y shaped Finger Lake, aka Crooked Lake, now called Keuka Lake. I trailered my Catalina 22, Shucky Ducky, from her home port of my driveway in Greece (Rochester), NY and splashed her in the lake at the public ramp within Keuka Lake State Park. Tip, after 6 PM ET, entrance to the State Park and boat ramp is free. My wife and I sailed her over to the dock with little wind, thus we used our iron sail, Tohatsu 6Hp, for a good bit of the hour and half journey. The lake is very deep, as all Finger Lakes are, but our dock was in 3 to 4 ft of water. Thatís why I love the retractable keel and raised rudder and outboard capabilities of Shucky Ducky. We docked with ease and I was in heaven and looking forward to a week of beautiful lake sailing. Lake Ontario, my home lake, is once again experiencing very high water levels and many of the boat ramps close to me are closed. Iíve been able to launch from Braddocks Bay, which is OK but requires a further drive than my favorite ramp on the Genesee River that empties in to Lake Ontario. Anyways, thatís another topic. On Keuka, I was joined by my wife, my parents, my sister and her husband with their two kids and my youngest son who was able to get a couple days off work to join us mid-week. The house can easily sleep 10 people and is managed by Finger Lakes Property Rentals. I managed to sail for 6 of the 7 days we were there. The winds were mostly South, Southwest so I was either tacking or jibing across the lake to get to and from the house. Iíve owned Shucky Ducky for 2 years now and sailed her 12 or 13 times. This was by far the best sailing Iíve been able to do and being surrounded by the beauty of Keuka Lake made it a surreal experience. By day 3 I was able to sail to and from the dock with no engine needed. When I had another 1,2 or 4 crew on board, I put the headsail up along with the main and we gracefully moved across the lake with ease and speed. The best sail of the trip was the most shocking to me. I, along with my sister, motored from the home dock all the way to Bluff Point which is where the fork of the Y shape lake is. It took us almost 2 hours under power, no sail, at a gentle 3.5 knots. 200 yards off Bluff Point we ate our lunch and enjoyed bobbing around and taking in the glorious scene around us. Spotted an Eagle too I believe and a sea plane that took off and landed about 500 yards from us to the West, town of Pultney maybe? After lunch, I decided to give it a go with sailing all the way back home. With winds blowing 8 to 10 knots, gusts of 12, we made it back in LESS time than we motored down! We averaged 4kts and at one point hit 9kts during one of the sustained gusts. Shucky Ducky looked regal in her heeling and I beamed with joy the whole way back, passing other sailors and motorboats along the way. My sister handled the head sail and I worked the main and rudder. We jibed like pros even though this was our first sailing experience together. It was simply amazing. The other great event was fixing my Tohatsu. I didnít do a Winter maintenance on the engine and had used it a few times this year with no problems. However, she died on me in the middle of the lake during one of my outings. Luckily, there was enough wind, 3 to 5kts., to get back to the dock. Having never worked on any engine before, I researched the web, Sailnet, and YouTube and determined I didnít really have a major issue, just gummed up the jets, carburetor and fuel filter having not done a proper Winterization. Lesson learned! Nevertheless, I went to Morganís Marine in Penn Yan and was able to find the proper items needed to perform the fix myself. I performed the tasks and with luck, the Tohatsu was humming like new again! Thanks to all if you who share your knowledge so guys like me can benefit and build their experience. The fireworks show on the lake was enjoyable, thanks to my brother in law who is brave enough to set them off each year. We did our show from the shore with many others doing the same and about 25 boats watching from the water. It was crowded out there! What a trip, Iíd love to go back but there are so many destinations in the Notheast that our family tends to find a new place each year versus returning to a known spot. Thank you Keuka Lake and the friendly boaters. What an incredible week of learning, sailing, spending time with family and enjoying Godís beauty and blessing.

Great story. Nice to hear you enjoyed your week on the water. Beautiful scenery also. The pop top of the Cat is a great feature. Next is an overnight anchorage.

Thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in