Torqeedo - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 80 Old 10-12-2015

Re: Torqeedo

With a 532Wh battery and a quoted run time of 30 minutes at full throttle and three hours at half throttle, you'd theoretically need 1000W of solar to run indefinitely at full power and about 180W of solar to run indefinitely at half throttle. Multiply by 2 to cover inefficiencies in charging, less than full sun, panel pointing, and shading and you end up with about 2m^2 of panels to run at half throttle indefinitely. That's just too big for practical use but you could probably fit 2m^2 of folding panels on a dinghy to charge it while you're not using it and get a minute of 1/2 throttle use per minute of charge while you're away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 Old 10-12-2015

IStream...thanks for specifics...like I said earlier I am certainly not a solar expert...but, as a Torqueedo user, I really don't use full throttle ever, unless for very short times, nor do I expect too. I forget the specific claims by Torqueedo, but I'd be willing to bet that their claims of indefinite use are limited to slow speeds...it really is surprising how much full throttle can limit your range...its just a fact of life with this engine...
post #43 of 80 Old 10-12-2015
HANUMAN

I know a few people with a Torqeedo small outboard. I have heard nothing but good feedback...and I ask all the time as I'm interested.

Now let me comment about range psychology Notice I didn't say anxiety. As the owner of an electric car I can tell you it's all about the range YOU need get through your day. YOU, not anyone else or their jaded views on how one would, could or should use the product.

If you plan on using a full charge every day then I would guess it's probably not going to work for you, but it surely could. If your "average" day will use up a half charge or less then you will probably be fine. That one or two days a year you will need to burn through a full charge and then wait for a recharge won't bother you.

If you have an outboard now, keep records for a couple of weeks or months about how long and how fast you actually run that engine. It might be much less than you imagine, or more. Probably less but you need to be sure. Also look at the speeds you are turning and how much you are gaining by running at full throttle, 3/4, 1/2. Often, with a little gas outboard we tend to run them at full throttle just because we don't want to be motoring and just want to get that part of the trip over. Conserving fuel with a little gas engine is not something we think about.

With an electric you will start to think about how much more "fuel" that extra 1/2 knot is costing you from full to 3/4 throttle. And how nice it can be to motor for 3X longer at 4 knot's instead of 5.5 knots.

Also, take into consideration no-wake zones and can or should you actually be going full bore. Often times in my harbor small sailboats or dinks are actually breaking the law as they tool down the river, but no one bothers because their wakes are not damaging. However, there is the occasional ticket issued if law enforcement is out on patrol.

And yes you will quickly learn to relish the quiet.

My little Nissan rides like an S class and the jackwagon in the corvette who unsuccessfully tries to cut ahead of me at a light from..say...0 - 40 mph scratches his head and wonders if he needs a tune-up. Oh, he passes me, he just can't figure out why it took so long. It's kind of fun having all that torque.
bull7000 likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #44 of 80 Old 10-12-2015

Rob,
I agree with your suggestions but I'm one of those people who actually does need the range. My biggest range hog is crabbing. I'll take the kids out with four crab rings and work them continuously until we have enough for dinner. That can involve as much as 1.5 hours running around the harbor from ring to ring. Add in a geriatric dog who needs to wiz on short notice and often doesn't make it to shore without having an accident and you've got to factor in at least one high speed run to shore per day, generally in the morning. I'd love a quiet electric motor at those times so I'm always trying to figure out how to make it work but it never pencils out, regardless of cost.
post #45 of 80 Old 10-12-2015

I have a Torqeedo 1003L and a Tohatsu 6HP EL. When I go out sailing to where I normally sail off the mooring(I don't have to maneuver through a 2 mile yacht storage area), I have two options. If the wind is OK or better on the other side of the bay, then I will motor out with the Torqeedo at about 3 knots. If it dies and I need to get further to get to it, I will motor with the Torqeedo. Its quick and easy. When I take the boat off the trailer or on the the trailer I will use the Torqeedo since it gives good forward and backward movement and slow where I need it.

But if its just too calm in my part of the bay, and I need to get out into the bigger part of the bay, then I will use the Tohatsu to get out there quickly at hull speed. If I need to move a good distance at hull speed like an hour or two, I will use the Tohatsu. If I need to get back to the mooring on as approaching storm, I will use the Tohatsu. If for some reason the tohatsu won't start I use the Torqeedo as a back up. I have two batteries. One is always kept in reserve.

If I'm not in a hurry, or if wind is less that optimum, or I don't have a long distance to go, or on an emergency basis, I will use the Torqeedo. If I am in a hurry, or wind and waves get difficult to sail, or I have a long distance to go, then I will use the Tohatsu.

Because of an inheritance my wife got recently, we were able to have a Torqeedo AND a 6hp gas engine. Having both makes sailing the best of all possible worlds.
post #46 of 80 Old 10-12-2015
Closet Powerboater

I have the 1003 and have been using it for a season now on my Portland Pudgy dinghy. I really like it. Everything is very well designed and works well. I did get the E45 error once. I'm glad they have fixed that.

This thing is powerful! Waaay more power than I need for the Pudgy. Anything more than 1/2 throttle and I'm just turning AH into vibration and small fractions of a knot. The display is great though. You can give the throttle a 1/10th of a twist and see how much speed you gain and how much your range is decreasing. It's easy to stay on top of your charge and know how much you have this way.

Once, recently I needed to do about a dozen trips back and forth to the boat. By adjusting the speed a little I was able to make sure I was going as fast as I could, yet had enough "gas" for all the trips.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 80 Old 10-12-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
Rob,
I agree with your suggestions but I'm one of those people who actually does need the range. My biggest range hog is crabbing. I'll take the kids out with four crab rings and work them continuously until we have enough for dinner. That can involve as much as 1.5 hours running around the harbor from ring to ring. Add in a geriatric dog who needs to wiz on short notice and often doesn't make it to shore without having an accident and you've got to factor in at least one high speed run to shore per day, generally in the morning. I'd love a quiet electric motor at those times so I'm always trying to figure out how to make it work but it never pencils out, regardless of cost.
There are big things coming round the bend in the e-world. Latching onto a good used outboard for a couple more years before investing in an electric motor might not be a bad compromise for the time being.

Previously, I would have never leased a car. However the lease deal on my 2014 Nissan Leaf was too good to pass up. I did it knowing that by 2018 it will be a new ball game in battery range.

I traded in a beat up pick up truck and pay $235 a month, haven't purchased gas, got an oil change or had ANY maintenance done in 18 months.

The best part of the deal is not having to deal with the clipboard salesman at oil change time.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #48 of 80 Old 08-26-2018

A couple years have passed here, any more testimonials?

I'm tempted by this for a Precision 18 but I'd like to hear more and would also have to choose between the 503 and 1003.

In a small estuary range isn't so much of an issue but I wonder about speed against currents so I'd love to hear how these actually compare to 2-5hp engines.

I'm a little disappointed there are no competitors after this many years in this space. Lithium batteries and brushless motors are rapidly becoming commodities (see cordless electric lawn mowers plummet in price this year for example) yet prices for these outboards have held steady. The motors are one thing but they really kill you for the extra batteries and solar panels etc.

I also think there is a market for small pods. Don't see why they can't separate the parts of the outboard into a pod with seperate battery and control unit (they have pods, but at a much higher price point). What an elegant solution that would be for a small sailboat and allow the removal of ugly outboards and brackets.

EDIT: I can take back the part about competitors. This looks like a pretty direct competitor:
http://www.epropulsion.com/spirit
tschmidty likes this.

Precision 18, Massachusetts
Former boat: Contessa 26

Last edited by asdf38; 08-26-2018 at 10:16 PM.
post #49 of 80 Old 08-26-2018

I am with @asdf38 there seems like a huge market for some an easy sailpod for lake boats. I fully understand the range and for a lot of voyages a gas outboard is essential. But with the price and availability of lion batteries and the ease of electric motors, I know I would pony up for a couple grand easy for an electric sailpod for my lake bound boat.
post #50 of 80 Old 08-26-2018

You may find this comparison interesting:

To me the greater level of grinding noise from the Torquedo does lead one to believe that the bearings and gears may be of lower quality in the Torquedo than the E-Propulsion.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 08-26-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in