Torqeedo - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 Old 07-29-2019

Re: Torqeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
They cost *you* $7.50 each.

Tesla produces their cylindrical cells for ~$.60 each. At that price you're looking at ~$200. Much more reasonable.
Sure, but unless you're Elon Musk powering your boat that's pretty irrelevant. I don't have a factory to make my own cells, so retail cost is what I'd pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 Old 07-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Sure, but unless you're Elon Musk powering your boat that's pretty irrelevant. I don't have a factory to make my own cells, so retail cost is what I'd pay.
For a marine application, Leaf battery cells arranged however you like are a good solution, and they're about the same price per kWh as a new lead acid AGM, only with 4-5x the power density for the weight and 8-10x the expected cycle lifetime.

I used Chevy Volt cells in Khaleesea's EP conversion. They'll probably outlast the boat, considering how little I draw out of the propulsion pack compared to what the Volt does. Plus, my 9kWh of capacity was about $1400. Had I been willing to buy a whole pack and disassemble it myself it would have been even cheaper.
post #73 of 80 Old 07-29-2019

Quote:
I've been looking at these a little now. Figured I'd keep it to this thread. As someone else mentioned Torqueedo now has a competitor; ePropulsion. Hong Kong based vs German Torqueedo. Unfortunately so far the effect on pricing seems minimal. Your lowest entry cost (for 3 hp equivalent) is still the same, $2000 at this time. But EP is a slightly better deal as you get a 2x size battery; 1000 Wh vs 530 Wh from Torq. Translates to 1 hr at full throttle, vs 30 min. Equivalent Torq package is $2,700. (I also saw that supposedly the EP battery floats while Torq does not, FWIW).

I don't want to be prejudiced, but it does have a sense of "chineese rip off" about it, so I'd have concerns about the quality of ePropulsion. And might want to go with the more established german engineering.. I haven't found any trustworthy testimonials about EP, I'd be curious if anyone has seen anything about these?
I can provide a real EP testimonial, having used one for 7 months cruising from Europe to the Caribbean and now up to Maine. High quality unit that runs quieter than the Torqeedo and has more battery capacity in a floating unit. We get 2 hours at 3-4 kt and 1 hour at 5-6 kt. You can do the math on range 🙂

Upside is that it has run flawlessly over about 30 cycles. Downside is that it will not plane and in a chop, it is quite wet without the spray hood on the F-Rib that we use it with. However, since fitting the hood, the squeaks from passengers when running ashore from anchor have diminished considerably.
Scandium likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Telesail For This Useful Post:
Scandium (07-29-2019)

post #74 of 80 Old 07-29-2019

Torqeedo has upped the game this year. The new 1103 C is dead silent (direct drive motor), 915Wh. Iím hopeful the new model has updated some design elements to make it a bit more resilient. It should with the sealed direct drive.

Published range:
2 kt - 20 hours
3 kt - 6 hours
5.5 kt - 50 min

Iíll report back as I just received one to use on our 8 ft porta-bote. It will be mid August before Iím back on the boat.
post #75 of 80 Old 07-29-2019

Sounds like Torqeedo decided that EP, founded by ex-Torqeedo employees if I recall correctly, is a serious competitor and upgraded to match their competition. Hopefully, even if it does not drive price reduction, it will spur innovation.

Incidentally, I can confirm from first hand experience that the EP batteries do float.....
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #76 of 80 Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
Torqeedo has upped the game this year. The new 1103 C is dead silent (direct drive motor), 915Wh. Iím hopeful the new model has updated some design elements to make it a bit more resilient. It should with the sealed direct drive.

Published range:
2 kt - 20 hours
3 kt - 6 hours
5.5 kt - 50 min

Iíll report back as I just received one to use on our 8 ft porta-bote. It will be mid August before Iím back on the boat.
Looks like it. But Torqueedo feel they can command a 35% price premium based on their name, vs similar product from ePropulsion. Maybe it's worth it, I don't know.
post #77 of 80 Old 07-30-2019

The EP "Navy Pod 3.0" motors look interesting. They're not horribly expensive at ~2500 USD each, but I think they're fudging the "HP equivalent". 3kW makes ~4 mechanical horsepower, not 6. It *is* direct drive, which is as close to 100% efficient as is possible, so it might be the equivalent of a 5-6HP sail drive or other high-loss setup.

That being said, it's still only 4HP. Kahleesea is only 27' at the waterline, and 3kW isn't enough to push her anywhere near hull speed. I can hit cruising speed at that amperage on a calm day, but that's it. There's nothing left to add if there's any sort of chop or headwind. I wouldn't recommend this pod system for anything bigger than a 25' boat.

I think this would work great on something like a three pontoon party barge. Mount a couple of these and 12kWh of battery and you're all set.
post #78 of 80 Old 07-30-2019

This must be a relativly small market. Otherwise i would expect to see minntoka and motor guide in it..
post #79 of 80 Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Looks like it. But Torqueedo feel they can command a 35% price premium based on their name, vs similar product from ePropulsion. Maybe it's worth it, I don't know.
Well, theyíve been around a lot longer and they aren't a Chinese knock off, so Iíd rather pay the premium personally. This is their 3rd iteration, so I suspect theyíve learned a few things along the way. Maybe the EP is just as good, not sure. I wasnít willing to take the gamble. Iíll know in a year.
post #80 of 80 Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
The EP "Navy Pod 3.0" motors look interesting. They're not horribly expensive at ~2500 USD each, but I think they're fudging the "HP equivalent". 3kW makes ~4 mechanical horsepower, not 6. It *is* direct drive, which is as close to 100% efficient as is possible, so it might be the equivalent of a 5-6HP sail drive or other high-loss setup.

That being said, it's still only 4HP. Kahleesea is only 27' at the waterline, and 3kW isn't enough to push her anywhere near hull speed. I can hit cruising speed at that amperage on a calm day, but that's it. There's nothing left to add if there's any sort of chop or headwind. I wouldn't recommend this pod system for anything bigger than a 25' boat.

I think this would work great on something like a three pontoon party barge. Mount a couple of these and 12kWh of battery and you're all set.
they make a navy 6.0 as well. The navy series is heavy, and with external battery. The motor alone weights over 50lbs. Plus another 60lbs for the battery. For a dinghy thatís a non starter. For larger boat use cases, Torqeedo also makes more powerful units with external batteries.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in