Torqeedo - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 Old 02-05-2015 Thread Starter

Torqeedo

I am buying a 20' sailboat, 2500# displacement, and am planning on using a Torqeedo 1003.
Pros: very light weight (31#) availability of remote throttle, low maintenance, no oil or gas
Cons: limited range, question of reliability, higher initial cost.

I only daysail, and just need to motor in and out of the harbor, so range is probably not a big problem. I can always buy a second battery.

I would appreciate comments from sailors that have used the 1003.

Anyone out there using the 1003?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 02-06-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Torqeedo

https://www.google.com/search?q=torq...utf-8&oe=utf-8

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 80 Old 02-06-2015 Thread Starter

SVA,
Been there done that (Google)...I have seen all the online reviews. There really are not a lot of them. Torqeedo has made a lot of tweeks in the last couple of years, and am looking for sailors here on Sailnet that have experience with the 1003. Don't need google help.....?!&[email protected]?!

post #4 of 80 Old 02-07-2015
Mermaid Hunter

rbh1515 -

The search tools on SailNet don't work well. Google solves that by allowing focusing the search on a particular site as you may know. There was an older thread I thought you might be interested in.

My experience with Torqeedo motors is that the changes from model to model aren't that big a deal.

If you are going to use an electric motor to get into your slip after a day of sailing and use any power at all underway (nav lights, radio, cell phone charger) I would definitely have a separate propulsion battery.

Torqueedo uses plastic propellers. There is a reason new propellers are readily available.

Do they still use the magnetic keys? They can be flaky.

All in all my experience with Torqeedo has been positive although I don't own one - just some locals that use them.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #5 of 80 Old 02-07-2015 Thread Starter

A neighbor at my dock bought a 1003 for his 21' sailboat near the end of last season. After motoring out to the harbor, sailing, and then motoring back to his slip, he still had 80% battery power left. After a couple months of use he was still happy with it. Would like to get more 1st hand experience.
The Torqeedo customer service person said there are a few changes coming for the 1003. It will come with a faster charger. There will also be a cable available to hook the battery to your 12V house battery to charge the Torqeedo battery while you're sailing. She also said that some of the error messages that people were getting were due to shifting the engine very fast between forward and reverse. They have made some changes so this won't happen any more.
My favorite feature as I mentioned above is the remote throttle which is attached via a cable to the engine. Also, it has Bluetooth and an App for a smart phone to give a ton of info including a map with range of travel possible with remaining power.
My biggest concern is reliability of the engine.
Rob
post #6 of 80 Old 03-30-2015

Hi Rob,
I actually own a 1003L on my trimaran (26ft, 3000lbs) on an inshore lake (due to regulations) in Europe.
But back to the stuff:
I can push with about 3.5 kn in flat conditions but at about 4 bft with waves 2 ft speed is about zero.
This may be due to the higher wind restistance to my trimaran.

Positives:
- For just going from/to the dock the battery lasts for weeks without charging
- With a simple cable, you can charge the battery from your main battery.

Three things are really disappointing:
- with full throttle against 3 bft in a narrow channel, time to go is about 20 min or 1 nm
- when the remaining battery load is about 30%, the software throttles down for "security reasons" (like you would have to go 20mph to the next gas station for 100miles)
- when trying to stopp the boat (reverse from going forward without motor movement!) the motor mostly ends up with an error-message ("Overload") and has to be rebooted.

Keep in mind, that compared to standard inboard e-drives with big drive-units it is a nice piece of german high-tech.
Simply compare the torqeedo to a comparable inboard e-drive (size, weight, prize), so it is completely different.
The techology was initiallly used in RC-planes and copters.

So summary:
Yes, it is a viable alternative under some circumstances, it's quite cheap, compact, easy to use and way better than all the "trolling motors".
No, it's no alternative going to sea under rough conditions, for sea-use I still go with my Tohatsu MFS 6 SailPro (Ultralong).
The Torqeedo simlply can't compare in range, simplicity, reliability, repairability.
post #7 of 80 Old 03-30-2015 Thread Starter

Sailbert,
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a 1003 last weekend. Apparently they have resolved the issue with shifting from forward to reverse...software changes.
Hope this engine works out!
Rob
post #8 of 80 Old 07-07-2015 Thread Starter

Here's a YouTube vid of my 20' sailboat using the Torqeedo 1003:

Rob
post #9 of 80 Old 10-09-2015

2015 -- The Torqueedo Electric Outboard -- 6-minute video

Demonstration on a West Marine RU-3 inflatable.

Attached Thumbnails
torqueedo thumb - Copy.jpg  

Last edited by Christian Williams; 08-27-2018 at 01:25 AM.
post #10 of 80 Old 10-09-2015

I purchased a Torqeedo 1003 for our dinghy this past winter...while I cannot comment on its use for a 20' sailboat (others have), I've been pleased with it so far for dinghy use. When you throttle it up to full, the battery does go fast...but otherwise, the battery can likely last weeks for us without charging. Admittedly we haven't used it as much as we hoped (an 18 month-old daughter has influenced things dramatically ), but for what we purchased it for, we are pleased. Since we use it sporadically, it is always ready to start as long as the battery is charged...no messing with fuel, oil, etc. Plus, it breaks down pretty small...on our 28' sailboat, space is certainly at a premium...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in