Tohatsu 5 hp 2 stroke outboard fuel problem - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2016 Thread Starter

Tohatsu 5 hp 2 stroke outboard fuel problem

Hello,
I am pretty new to outboards. I was aiming to start the outboard after a long time standing. I put fresh fuel and oil (1:50) in the external tank primed it with a few squeezes with the primer ball and it fired up quite easily and ran well. After 5 Mins the engine stalled and it seemed that the clear indicator on the fuel line was empty. I then tried to start it again and couldn't get it going. From my understanding most outboards have a fuel switch which enables you to turn off and on the supply, on this one I cannot find such a switch and there seems no way of turning the flow off or on. Would the fuel tank be gravity fed? As when I was running it the fuel tank was on the floor and the outboard on a stand above it.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2016

Re: Tohatsu 5 hp 2 stroke outboard fuel problem

Are you using Ethanol gas from the pump? You should not be. I don't know if you have ethanol gas in the UK.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Do you have the owners manual?
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own.../Toh5B_5BS.pdf
Some Tohatsu 5 hp 2 cycle have in internal tank, other have an external tank.
The service manual is also on line.
http://www.tecnomar.cl/pdf/pdf_servi...202-Stroke.pdf

I have the 8 hp with Nissan decals. It is a great little motor.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-12-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, it looks like there are two systems one with a pump and one gravity. I am just using gasolineand oil mix? It seems like the fuel clock is on the tank not on the motor, which makes sense why I can't find it on the motor. Any more information would be very helpful
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2016
Sailor

It does sound like a fuel starvation issue. Your engine ran fine until you ran out of fuel in the carburetor. Did you squeeze the bulb on the hose from the tank enough? Try putting the tank on a table so it is more at the motor's level. Perhaps the fitting where the hose attaches to the engine is clogged? Can you remove a hose from the carb and pump the bulb to check for fuel?

Good hunting!

Tod
post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2016
HANUMAN

Could the carb float be stuck in the up position?

I would start at the fuel tank and work towards the carb, just because it's easier. You should have nice easy fuel flow by squeezing the bulb up to the carb.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2016

With a problem like that, the first thing I always do is to carefully inspect the fuel line, squeeze bulb and all the fittings. Check for even the slightest leaks, and check the hose and the squeeze bulb for cracks. If there's the tiniest crack, it can let air into the line. The squeeze bulb is there to pressurize the fuel line. If air can get in through a crack or a loose fitting, it will de-pressurize the fuel line and the engine will be fuel-starved. Cracks are most likely to be found where the hose is connected to a fitting. I have occasionally made an emergency repair that is adequate to get back to the marina by cutting an inch off the cracked end of the hose.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2016

You might also have some junk in the fuel filter or carburetor. It is a common problem after the motor sat for a long time.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your replies. Is it fairly common to have a gravity fed system? I can't seem to see a fuel pump! I have removed a hose from the car and squeezed the bulb and fuel was flowing, so there isn't a blockage there! There is an air bubble in the fuel filter though!
post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgjfrods View Post
I can't seem to see a fuel pump! .... There is an air bubble in the fuel filter though!
Spend some time with the service manual to figure out how the engine works. The fuel system is in section 3. The carb mounted fuel pump is shown in a photo. There is a long troubleshooting table.

The fuel pump is also shown as part 3-1-19 in the parts manual.
https://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com...2N21005-6).pdf

If you have a fuel problem, the engine should start easily after you spray some starting fluid (ethyl ether) into the carb inlet. If that does not make the engine run, you need to be looking elsewhere for the problem.

It is not at all unusual for the fuel filter to be partially filled with vapor. Gasoline (petrol) will still pass through it.

I trust that you are running the engine with the lower unit submerged in water. Running the engine dry will ruin the rubber impeller in the water pump in very short order.

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 06-14-2016 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in