Tohatsu Reviews? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 06-25-2016

Re: Tohatsu Reviews?

Chef2sail, I'm chuckling at the irony as I read your response. Prior to the Tohatsu, we had a Lehr 5 HP. Nothing but problems! (Internal propane line broke, pee tube clogged, metal band holding the little green tank sliced my hand more times than I care to count, etc., etc.) It's sitting in my garage - I tried to sell it but no takers. I'd offer you another, but it would cost more to ship than it is worth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 06-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I guess I'm the only one who missed the koolaide. Had a Tahatsu 5 hp which was nothing but issues. Despite following rigorous guidelines about stabilizer,
Ethanol Free too? The stabilizer really won't do anything about having ethanol in the fuel.
post #23 of 36 Old 06-25-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowe View Post
Chef2sail, I'm chuckling at the irony as I read your response. Prior to the Tohatsu, we had a Lehr 5 HP. Nothing but problems! (Internal propane line broke, pee tube clogged, metal band holding the little green tank sliced my hand more times than I care to count, etc., etc.) It's sitting in my garage - I tried to sell it but no takers. I'd offer you another, but it would cost more to ship than it is worth!
We got the a free fiberglass 6 lb tank so no messing with that band or the bombs.

This is my second full year with the Lehr and it's been flawless except I had to bleed the propane into the carb at the years beginning but it started first pull

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #24 of 36 Old 06-26-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I have had a used 3.3 and two new 18 hp all 2 st.

the second 18 was bought after the first blew up when a year old. NB they do not seem to honor the 5 year warranty at least not in the Eastern Caribbean.

One negative comment is that compared to a Yam 15 they sound like a bag of spanners at medium to high revs.

All mine have started reliably and run well. The first 18 gave plenty of warning that it was failing but I could not get the local dealer to honor the warranty.

It is worth noting that the charter companies in my area use Tohatsus.
post #25 of 36 Old 06-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCs123 View Post
I tried searching, if there are reviews on Tohatsu outboards, please share a link.

What do Tohatsu owners think about their engines? How long have you owned them? Anyone have experience with a 6hp single cylinder extra long shaft? They can be had online for $1500, this is considerably cheaper than a 20" 5hp merc from my local dealer.

So what do you think?
Can't be beat!! Had that one (sail pro), a 9.8 electric/hydraulic, a 5 hp - HIGHLY SATISFIED with ALL (PS they make the Mercs).I wouldn't buy anything else!!
post #26 of 36 Old 06-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrometer View Post
?....I wouldn't buy anything else!!
Well, if Tohatsu builds nearly every 3 to 5 hp outboard no matter whose name is on it, it's kinda tough to buy anything else!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #27 of 36 Old 06-26-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCs123 View Post
I tried searching, if there are reviews on Tohatsu outboards, please share a link.

What do Tohatsu owners think about their engines? How long have you owned them? Anyone have experience with a 6hp single cylinder extra long shaft? They can be had online for $1500, this is considerably cheaper than a 20" 5hp merc from my local dealer.

So what do you think?
I have a 2 year 6HP Tahatsu. It's worked fine and gotten easier to start as it broke in. The only thing that took getting used to was in not taking the choke off too fast as that would flood it out and take a while to restart (haven't done it in a year now)

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #28 of 36 Old 06-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I have a 2 year 6HP Tahatsu. It's worked fine and gotten easier to start as it broke in. The only thing that took getting used to was in not taking the choke off too fast as that would flood it out and take a while to restart (haven't done it in a year now)
I've always been careful to make sure that the choke is on long enough to not need it. How many seconds, about, do you leave the choke on, do you think?
post #29 of 36 Old 06-27-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I've always been careful to make sure that the choke is on long enough to not need it. How many seconds, about, do you leave the choke on, do you think?
I only leave it on for 10-20 seconds. It's just that I need to push it in slow and pause a few times while doing it or it will flood and stall out.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #30 of 36 Old 06-27-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap-Couillon View Post
25' Coronado with 6hp Tohatsu "Sail-Pro" Deltaville Va to Marathon FL no problems no complaints...

4 stroke single vibrates a bit but mileage is amazing. Best $1400 I ever spent.
did you take the ICW? seems like a great trip either way

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in