Tohatsu Reviews? - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

Tohatsu Reviews?

I tried searching, if there are reviews on Tohatsu outboards, please share a link.

What do Tohatsu owners think about their engines? How long have you owned them? Anyone have experience with a 6hp single cylinder extra long shaft? They can be had online for $1500, this is considerably cheaper than a 20" 5hp merc from my local dealer.

So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Re: Tohatsu Reviews?

I owned an 18hp tohatsu, electric start, for about 6 or 7 years, which made it about 10 years old, when I traded it in. Started every time. Ran very quiet. I changed the oil twice per year and the plugs about every other year. Never had any major maintenance failure. I ran it dry and stored it outdoors each winter (which is not ideal).

The shop told me that one of the cylinders was losing compression, but you would have never known.

Anecdotally, I see a ton of tohatsu OBs on charter boats, which would suggest they are a good value and reliable. They are not top of the market, which I think is reserved for Yamaha.

As for buying a used OB, it can be a real crap shoot. You can't know how it was cared for, let alone broken in. Many don't realize they really need to full full power for the first hour or so, to set the rings. If that wasn't done properly, you can never recover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

I have a Nissan 6, which is the same motor as the Tohatsu. The fuel economy is amazing. It uses about 1/3 gal hr., maybe a little less. It's a single cylinder, so it's not as smooth sounding as a 2 cylinder, but it starts and runs reliably, usually one pull. I got it used, and thought about replacing it, but had a couple minor adjustments made, and everything's fine now. I love it!

post #4 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Tohatsu makes a number of the various 'brands' in the 4-8 HP range, IIRC.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

I have seen many reports online that Tohatsu manufactures Mercury's small engines, up to 6 hp. The people who said it sounded like they knew what they were talking about.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Mercury, Nissan, Tohatsu and possibly others are all from the Tohatsu plant.. in the smaller HP ranges. Interestingly Nissan offered double the warranty than the others.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Tohatsu's are VERY reliable, especially if you use only 'fresh' gasoline, ethanol free gasoline; or if not, then 'religiously' used with a stabilizer formulated for ethanolated gasoline. Otherwise drain/discard the fuel after 60 days. This will insure quite trouble free operation.

The downside to most all recent small HP Outboards is the inability to adjust the air/fuel mixture in order to compensate for gum/varnish formation in the 'fixed' carburetors. There is a 'fix' for this but not appropriate for discussion within the USA.
Clean fresh fuel is a 'must'.
Consider to run the carb 'dry' before moderate term storage (a few weeks), also drain the carburetor bowl for long term (winter) storage and then flushing (then immediately draining) the carburetor bowl with isopropyl alcohol - IPA.
Replacement of the cooling water impeller is a real complicated PITA - typical of Japanese engineering; but, you'll quickly learn 'the trick' to realign the 'linkage' inside the shaft housing after a few times of changeout.
This engine will instantaneously destroy its impeller if run 'dry' for only a 'few seconds'.

With the 6HP, a standard 9-10 ft. inflatable dinghy with a 200lb. single passenger will easily plane with the standard pitch prop. If you need to carry more load or another passenger, consider reducing the prop pitch; but, then be VERY careful of not exceeding max. rpm when 'single handing'.

Indeed Tohatsu is the manufacture of the 'power heads' for many outboard brands. Some other brands are simply 'full' Tohatsu OBs with different 'cosmetics' and private label brand names, etc.

Good and quite reliable outboard engines; but, 'heavy' ... at about 57 lbs.

Last edited by RichH; 06-21-2016 at 12:52 PM.
post #8 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Tohatsu's are VERY reliable, especially if you use only 'fresh' gasoline, ethanol free gasoline; or if not, then 'religiously' used with a stabilizer formulated for ethanolated gasoline. Otherwise drain/discard the fuel after 60 days. This will insure quite trouble free operation.

The downside to most all recent small HP Outboards is the inability to adjust the air/fuel mixture in order to compensate for gum/varnish formation in the 'fixed' carburetors. There is a 'fix' for this but not appropriate for discussion within the USA.
Clean fresh fuel is a 'must'.
Consider to run the carb 'dry' before moderate term storage (a few weeks), also drain the carburetor bowl for long term (winter) storage and then flushing (then immediately draining) the carburetor bowl with isopropyl alcohol - IPA.
Replacement of the cooling water impeller is a real complicated PITA - typical of Japanese engineering; but, you'll quickly learn 'the trick' to realign the 'linkage' inside the shaft housing after a few times of changeout.
This engine will instantaneously destroy its impeller if run 'dry' for only a 'few seconds'.

With the 6HP, a standard 9-10 ft. inflatable dinghy with a 200lb. single passenger will easily plane with the standard pitch prop. If you need to carry more load or another passenger, consider reducing the prop pitch; but, then be VERY careful of not exceeding max. rpm when 'single handing'.

Indeed Tohatsu is the manufacture of the 'power heads' for many outboard brands. Some other brands are simply 'full' Tohatsu OBs with different 'cosmetics' and private label brand names, etc.

Good and quite reliable outboard engines; but, 'heavy' ... at about 57 lbs.
For the love of god, someone take this man's single-quote key from him.
LoboPops likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
For the love of god, someone take this man's single-quote key from him.
I just re-read his post out loud using 'air-quotes' with my fingers where appropriate.

'Twas a good time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

I have a 6 hp Tohatsu extra long. I've not had it long and only used it last season. I only use ethanol free gas in it along with a double dose of Blue Marine Stabil. Lots of power. pushed my little 1500 lb sail boat pulling a 10 ft beamy dinghy through chop and 15 mph wind AND AGAINST THE TIDE at 4.2 knots using only 1/3 throttle. nOT AN ISSUE. Great little engine.

Sat on the mooring for two weeks, and a tropical storm. Started right up.
LoboPops likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in