Sican Out board - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By miatapaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-2017 Thread Starter

Sican Out board

Anyone with info or experience with Sicon Outboards. I have never heard of them. I have an opportunity to buy one new in a box for a good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-08-2017

Re: Sican Out board

Sure you have the name right?? I've not heard of them either and Zero hits on a search...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-08-2017

Here is a customer review on Amazon , looks good .
https://www.amazon.com/Sican-Outboar...ews/B01EFMNBWW

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

post #4 of 10 Old 04-08-2017
Master Mariner

There is some company advertising Chinese made OB's down here that look good and are very reasonably priced. However, as a charter boat we can not have an unreliable OB, period. So I emailed them to see if they wanted to put one into the hard charter boat service with us as a test at a discounted price. Not even the simplest reply of no. I'm not taking a chance on that company, no matter how cheap the OB.
You might wish to contact the company or distributor and see if you get any reply before you put any money out. It would be really unfortunate to have your OB out of commission because of a little, inexpensive part you can't get.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2017
Old enough to know better

Looks like one of the typical cheap Chinese outboards. They seem in general to be noisy, full of vibrations but will run for a while. Don't expect it to last long as they are made of somewhat unknown and unreliable materials add to that the fact that you will not likely to be able to get any replacement parts other than perhaps a spark plug. If you can get a carb rebuild kit for it now, I would get several as they won't likely be available for long. If you purchase it you are on your own after the first start. The only way I would buy one would be if I ordered it direct from China and got it super cheap. I would look at CL and see what old used outboards are selling for, and be sure to pay less than that.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Faco...7-2097d949b1dc
RegisteredUser likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2017
Fortuitous

Is it me, or is the tiller on backwards in most of their marketing photos?

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-09-2017

Those little outboards don't have reverse and the tiller swings up and forward to deal with having to turn the engine around as your reverse. The one pictured does have the throttle cable mis-routed.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2017

My 25 yr old 4 hp Evinrude 2-stroke is still running and hasn't had any significant service or parts issues. It is water cooled, has 2 cylinders, and is nowhere near as noisy as those air-cooled things. An Evinrude (BRP) replacement--now available in the US in a 4 stroke, 3.5 hp size--may cost 10 X as much as a Chinese air-cooled motor with questionable quality and after sales support.

Just looking at sales brochure photos, the cheap Chinese OBs are not in the same league as the established brands--wherever they are actually made. Given the price differential, if the OP wants to go cheap, he might consider buying 2 or 3 to have spare parts available. If the motor actually lasts for several years, he might sell the "spares" with a story of his good experience to sweeten the sale. Otherwise he might dispose of a failed OB and move on through the "spares", possibly still saving a bundle over the long term.

However, if these cheap OBs are unreliable, they may not be a bargain at 1/10 the cost of a name brand. I could tell you the story of a 2 hp Mini-mite I bought 30 yrs ago. Never again will I go cheap!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-09-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Is it me, or is the tiller on backwards in most of their marketing photos?

Airplanes use a pulling prop, so why not outboards? The Chinese are so innovative, aren't they?
I've never used one, but that motor looks suspiciously like a gas weed whacker, doesn't it?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded I think I will Pass on this OB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in