Help me get this running - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Help me get this running

My West Wight Potter 19 came with this outboard. According the stickers on the cowling it should be a 1978 4.5 HP. Based on the serial number 4420085 it is a 1976.

Even though it sat idle for a few years once I got a fuel priming bulb, it fired right up and runs smoothly, shifts nicely but does not accelerate. I opened it up and found a broken linkage to the throttle. In my search I found the piece is no longer available as is most of the parts for this motor.

Mercury Quicksilver 42666A 3 - GEAR AND SHAFT AS QPD=NO NLA

https://www.boats.net/catalog/mercur...ontrol-linkage

Since I can't get this part new, I am tempted to try to glue the part back together but have never had any luck gluing or repairing plastic. Any other suggestions on getting this motor running or accelerating?
Attached Thumbnails
Mercury throttle.jpg   20180702_151325.jpg  

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Help me get this running

The parts in the black and white ring are supposed to be one solid piece but it is broken in two.

It is supposed to move when the throttle is rotated causing it to push on the "throttle bar" shown with a blue line in the photo above.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 07-09-2018
Unhinged and Fluid

Is there enough space we could bend a piece of 16ga aluminum ( i have some 1/2" wide bar laying around) into the shape of the old piece and replace all of it? So it goes from the throttle arm in blue, down in the same shape as the black piece, and back to bolt where the white circle is? Or are there additional pivot points between the black piece and piece circled in white that need to be considered?

If you have all of the pieces, just broken we can try plastic welding them together with a soldering iron.

Last edited by IDtrucks; 07-09-2018 at 10:08 AM.

post #4 of 36 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post

If you have all of the pieces, just broken we can try plastic welding them together with a soldering iron.
I am considering welding or glueing it. But am concerned I may alter it when the glue melts it. In my limited search I read about getting someone to cast a piece and rebuilding it, to end up with the exact same piece but I am assuming at a significant cost.

I will pull the pieces out and see what it would look like to fabricate something custom out of metal.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #5 of 36 Old 07-09-2018

I can't really tell how complex the part is, but if you have any experience with SketchUp, you can model it in 3D, upload it to a 3D printing service and have the part 3D printed in plastic (or other materials) fairly cheaply.

I did that for a plastic part on our hatch that broke. I had no luck sourcing the part, but I sent of the SketchUp file and got it printed for around $12. It's lasted 4 years so far, so the experiment has paid off.

I think the part was much simpler, though.

Mary
jephotog likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdiego View Post
I can't really tell how complex the part is, but if you have any experience with SketchUp, you can model it in 3D, upload it to a 3D printing service and have the part 3D printed in plastic (or other materials) fairly cheaply.

I did that for a plastic part on our hatch that broke. I had no luck sourcing the part, but I sent of the SketchUp file and got it printed for around $12. It's lasted 4 years so far, so the experiment has paid off.

I think the part was much simpler, though.

Mary
I am pretty good at sketchup for basic square items like cabinets and homes, but this is probably more complex than my skills. Maybe I don't have to match it exactly just get the bottom and top parts to line up.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 36 Old 07-09-2018

Here's the part I did 4 years ago - and I only use SketchUp every 3 or 4 years, so it took a while for me to figure it out. (Of course, I just took a look at SketchUp and it's completely changed now.)

Help me get this running-final.jpg

The curves were the hardest part, if I remember correctly, but I found a lot of tutorials/tips/tricks on the web.

I glued the part back together, and figured out which were the critical measurements. I focussed on those, and didn't sweat anything else too much. I drew the flat plane first, then used the push tool to get the depth. I added circles where the screws were to go, and used the push tool again to add the holes.

Mary
post #8 of 36 Old 07-09-2018

Looks like you could fabricate it out of hardware store 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock however there appears to be enough of it left to plastic weld if you can get compatible rod and then add a aluminum spine to it in the recces along the back of it. A boat builder would clean it with acetone and fix it with epoxy wrapped with mat. An farmer would JB Weld it and wrap it with bailing wire.

Lots of options especially since both ends appear to be intact.
jephotog likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-09-2018

I had a similar problem with my old corded drill. My search for the correct part that I needed to replace showed the exact same thing: "Unavailable". This was consistent from both the manufacturer and the aftermarket websites. I decided to contact the manufacturer directly Within a day, they responded that "no, that part is no longer available, but we have something that should work for you. It's on it's way to you, no charge". They were right: the replacement part works just fine. My advice: give the manufacturer (Mercury?) call or send them an email.
The Following User Says Thank You to mstern For This Useful Post:
jephotog (07-09-2018)
post #10 of 36 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
They were right: the replacement part works just fine. My advice: give the manufacturer (Mercury?) call or send them an email.
I had been searching for about two days and found 5+ year old threads where people were saying this part was no longer available then. Mercury pulled up from their database Discount Marine that has 104 of them. Now 103, mine is on the way. Thanks.

Jordan
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in