LEHR Outboards on Sale - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 51 Old 03-17-2019

That will probably be made by tohatsu.
I did see a 5hp tohatsu propane on a dink in marathon...only one ive seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 Old 04-08-2019

Re: LEHR Outboards on Sale

I saw the current 50% discount on the 9.9 HP Lehr (short shaft and manual start) on West Marine, and had to bite. But I asked my West Marine Pro sales guy what's up -- he said WM is dropping Lehr. For some reason the long-shaft and electric starts aren't discounted, but seems likely they will be. As others have noted, Lehr doesn't look very healthy, based on their website not having any updates in over a year, and it seems like it's going to be tough finding parts. Does anyone know whether the parts are shared with other brands? I saw that the water pump housing is the same as a Yahama 9.9.
post #43 of 51 Old 04-08-2019

Tohatsu....

post #44 of 51 Old 07-03-2019

Well Damn, I bought a used Lehr 5HP a year and a half ago and then wife and I left for most of last year. Fired up the outboard on my skiff a few months ago and it worked great! HOWEVER, a few weeks later it crapped out. Took it to the guy down the road and the water pump and thermostat need replacing. Guess what? Can't find any, West Marine doesn't carry them anymore, and the LEHR website is crap. Left a phone message but no return call.

Too bad, for dinking around the creek where we live it was perfect. Anyone have any suggestions for finding a water pump and thermostat?

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #45 of 51 Old 07-03-2019

Parts availability is part of why I returned mine as soon as I got it home, when I had figured out West Marine was dropping them, and saw that parts were hard to access.

I think Lehrs are built mostly by Tohatsu and share parts with the Tohatsu engines of the same size. How to cross reference is a pain, but I think if you poke around on the web or with a shop that knows a bit about Lehrs you might figure it out. There are parts sites online that might work out, too. This link appears to service Lehr and have parts for them: starmarineinc.com/lehr-outboards/ eBay has parts for the 9.8 HP, at least. Worst case, take your old parts to a Tohatsu dealer and confirm that they seem to match just based on visual. Good luck!
post #46 of 51 Old 07-05-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Well Damn, I bought a used Lehr 5HP a year and a half ago and then wife and I left for most of last year. Fired up the outboard on my skiff a few months ago and it worked great! HOWEVER, a few weeks later it crapped out. Took it to the guy down the road and the water pump and thermostat need replacing. Guess what? Can't find any, West Marine doesn't carry them anymore, and the LEHR website is crap. Left a phone message but no return call.

Too bad, for dinking around the creek where we live it was perfect. Anyone have any suggestions for finding a water pump and thermostat?
Did you get my PM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #47 of 51 Old 07-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Parts availability is part of why I returned mine as soon as I got it home, when I had figured out West Marine was dropping them, and saw that parts were hard to access.

I think Lehrs are built mostly by Tohatsu and share parts with the Tohatsu engines of the same size. How to cross reference is a pain, but I think if you poke around on the web or with a shop that knows a bit about Lehrs you might figure it out. There are parts sites online that might work out, too. This link appears to service Lehr and have parts for them: starmarineinc.com/lehr-outboards/ eBay has parts for the 9.8 HP, at least. Worst case, take your old parts to a Tohatsu dealer and confirm that they seem to match just based on visual. Good luck!
What leads you to to beleive Lehr are made by Tahatsu. Mercury and Nissan in America are.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #48 of 51 Old 07-06-2019
Learning the HARD way...

The Lehr outboards have been discussed in many other threads. Looking at their current website they state that most propane is made in Texas, but I could find no mention of where their manufacturing facilities are. I believe from the other threads that Lehr outboards are made in China. Lehr outboards are NOT made by Tohatsu, but may be a copy of a Tohatsu design.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #49 of 51 Old 07-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The Lehr outboards have been discussed in many other threads. Looking at their current website they state that most propane is made in Texas, but I could find no mention of where their manufacturing facilities are. I believe from the other threads that Lehr outboards are made in China. Lehr outboards are NOT made by Tohatsu, but may be a copy of a Tohatsu design.
My. Old Lehr was made in Hangpu, China. It’s not a Tahatsu.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #50 of 51 Old 07-06-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My. Old Lehr was made in Hangpu, China. It’s not a Tahatsu.
I think that we're agreeing... Spelling is "Tohatsu"

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in