Mercury 4 hp hard start - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 1 Post By RichH
  • 1 Post By wind cree

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Mercury 4 hp hard start

I bought this motor used from a good dealer. 2013 Mercury 4HP. It runs perfect. The problem is it locks up when I pull start it. Talked to the dealer and he said there is a hydra lock or something and I should pull the cord slowly full cycle than start it normal.. Well sometimes it works fine but a lot of the time the lock stops the cord short even after I have cycled it through. Than It takes a LOT of short pulls and the motor has actually started on a slow pull or even a short pull. If I pull the cord slowly it doesn't lock up. I'd have to say 70% of the time it causes me problems.. Other times it's perfect. The dealer is a ways away from me so before I drive back there does anyone have any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Mercury 4 hp hard start

My 1st thought is to try different throttle setting when starting
post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
My 1st thought is to try different throttle setting when starting
Different throttle setting has no effect.

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Triple confirm that gear shift stays in neutral when pull starting.
Motor will lock if in gear.
RichH and Skipper Jer like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

The Merc 4 uses a Tohatsu 'power head'.
The problem as you describe most likely is the *interlock* between the recoil starter and 'gear shift' is out of adjustment. This interlock prevents pull starting in either forward or reverse gear position but not neutral.
Id recommend that you jiggle the *gear shift* lever positions back and forth and in small increments, while slow pulling the recoil starter to possibly locate where the interlock does not engage

There is a Tohatsu SERVICE MANUAL "4 Stroke MFS - 4/5/6B,C Models" that should contain the adjustment procedure ... the manual is available from most 'brick & mortar' and also online/internet Tohatsu dealers. Should also be available (Mercury 4 Service Manual) from most Merc online dealers.
Purchase your service manual based on the Model, serial number, and YEAR purchased.

If you are an experienced DIYer, you can probably, remove the engine top cover ... examine the shifting mechanism and linkage, find the problem and fix it yourself without the need for a manual. Just remember that the interlock 'set point' is: 'Center' of the neutral (shift lever) position allows easy/full movement of the recoil starter mechanism.
Without seeing this OB, my first guess would be that the recoil starter assembly has come slightly loose on top of the power head. I would also guess that this OB has been fully disassembled or possibly 'rebuilt' and the mechanic forgot to put BLUE LOCKTITE thread sealer on the screws threads that mount the recoil starter - just a guess.
;-)
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 1 Week Ago at 02:40 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Sailor

Rich has it right, I believe!

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The Merc 4 uses a Tohatsu 'power head'.
The problem as you describe most likely is the *interlock* between the recoil starter and 'gear shift' is out of adjustment. This interlock prevents pull starting in either forward or reverse gear position but not neutral.
Id recommend that you jiggle the *gear shift* lever positions back and forth and in small increments, while slow pulling the recoil starter to possibly locate where the interlock does not engage

There is a Tohatsu SERVICE MANUAL "4 Stroke MFS - 4/5/6B,C Models" that should contain the adjustment procedure ... the manual is available from most 'brick & mortar' and also online/internet Tohatsu dealers. Should also be available (Mercury 4 Service Manual) from most Merc online dealers.
Purchase your service manual based on the Model, serial number, and YEAR purchased.

If you are an experienced DIYer, you can probably, remove the engine top cover ... examine the shifting mechanism and linkage, find the problem and fix it yourself without the need for a manual. Just remember that the interlock 'set point' is: 'Center' of the neutral (shift lever) position allows easy/full movement of the recoil starter mechanism.
Without seeing this OB, my first guess would be that the recoil starter assembly has come slightly loose on top of the power head. I would also guess that this OB has been fully disassembled or possibly 'rebuilt' and the mechanic forgot to put BLUE LOCKTITE thread sealer on the screws threads that mount the recoil starter - just a guess.
;-)
I just looked closely at that area. That IS the problem. If I gently hold it forward the pull start is normal. It does seem a little loose. I'm going to try to tighten the screw that holds the plastic piece to the recoil. I'll also re visit the service manual. I didn't see any procedure for that but most likely overlooked it.
Thanks to you and everyone very much for taking the time tp answer my post.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in