25 hp Suzuki vs. Yamaha for a dinghy - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter

Re: 25 hp Suzuki vs. Yamaha for a dinghy

Thanks Mark.

I guess I am comparing it to others who have the same boat as me with the hydraulic platform and I opted for basic davits to save weight and ensure reliability. The hydraulic platform is very heavy and many have gone with the Highfield 380 (which will and can bash the sugar scoops) with the Suzuki 30 (which is the same engine) with the platform...talk about weight. I'm also getting rid of the AGMs and going with lithiums and many other weight saving opportunities. If you watch Sailing Sophisticated Lady (Rick Moore) or just a few YouTube reviews, you will see it vibrating at an idle pretty badly.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks Capta. 4 stroke with tiller. You can't row a center console and this is going on a Highfield CL360. The FCT console is right on top of the oar chock. This is going on the back of my boat that I am planning on a circumnavigation with. Yamaha parts are plentiful in the USA and Caribbean, but Suzuki is the king in the Pacific and it's a toss up in the Med.

Thanks again for your feedback.
You can forget about rowing that dinghy. It sounds and looks like it would work, but these larger RIBs don't row worth squat. OK for getting around in calm waters with a lot of effort, but if the wind is over 15kts, or any current, you will never get anywhere against it. My advice is to ditch the oars, put a couple of good paddles on board, get a good anchor with a LONG rode (80-100' - I don't understand all the cruisers with a folding grapnel on 20' of rode), and get a small drogue to keep on board. Be sure to always have a handheld VHF with you.

Then be glad you bought a new EFI 4-stroke Suzuki or Yamaha, because breakdowns will be a thing of the past for you. Dealer and mechanic availability is meaningless for small outboards. Routine spares like filters, plugs, impellers, etc are easy to order and carry on board. Anything that does break will require parts to be imported anyway, because no dealer carries these types of parts anymore (try to find a stocked prop shaft for a Yamaha in the Caribe). These small outboards aren't specially unique among themselves - any mechanic can work on all of them. There isn't any special hidden magic about any of them that requires a branded priest. Get a service and parts manual for your engine so any mechanic can find things like torque values, gap settings, and order parts. Even you!

Mark
CVAT likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #13 of 24 Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks again for your feedback, but this isn't my first dinghy or sailboat. You can row these aluminum dinghys as they are light enough. The plastic dinghys are impossible.

With any rough or tough conditions, yes, it can make it hard.

post #14 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks Mark.

I guess I am comparing it to others who have the same boat as me with the hydraulic platform and I opted for basic davits to save weight and ensure reliability. The hydraulic platform is very heavy and many have gone with the Highfield 380 (which will and can bash the sugar scoops) with the Suzuki 30 (which is the same engine) with the platform...talk about weight. I'm also getting rid of the AGMs and going with lithiums and many other weight saving opportunities. If you watch Sailing Sophisticated Lady (Rick Moore) or just a few YouTube reviews, you will see it vibrating at an idle pretty badly.

David
Funny, I was going to suggest going with the 380 over the 360, but decided you probably already had that thought and made a decision for good reasons.

Personally, I think those platforms are a terrible idea - particularly for a cruising boat.

I looked up the Suzuki 30 because I was going to recommend you get that instead of the 25 since they are the same engine. However, it looks like the 30 doesn't come as a base model without electric tilt, etc like the 25, and it weighs a lot more than the 25 because of that.

2-cylinders can vibrate quite a bit at idle. There seems to be a resonance at 700-800rpm. If you bump idle 50rpm, many of them smooth right out. The EFI engines vibrate the most at idle because the computer knows you aren't in gear and aren't using the boat, so it leans the fuel way down and changes the firing parameters. Bumping idle doesn't help much because the computer just compensates. This is a good thing for fuel consumption, and doesn't really matter for use because you usually aren't hanging onto the tiller then. Once underway, it all smooths out.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #15 of 24 Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter

The two people that I know that have the CL380 for my boat constantly hit the inside of the sugar scoops when trying to load it. Because of that, some have opted for the 340. For the platform, anything greater than a 1-2 foot seas you can't load the dinghy without 2-3 people and even then you get beat up. Plus they have had significant reliability issues with the pump, lines, corrosion, alignment, etc.

I am going to get the 25hp Suzuki.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Excellent choice. If in the islands intra island shipping isnít too dear. There are dealers scattered about. Got my Suzuki from one in Rodney new at discount. Previously had a 15hp now a 9.9. Both will get up plane with 4 adults but it takes awhile for the 9.9. Have no experience with dinghy engines that big and mine is only a month old but so far well pleased. As previously said truly impressed by mpg, torque and how quiet it is.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #17 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Might want to see if you can find somebody with a prop that fits that you can borrow for a test, but 1" less pitch and see if that works better for getting on plane. The OB's don't always come with a prop pitched for one's particular boat or how one will use it. The prop ours came with would get two on plane easily, but take a while with 4, and needing a person on the bow to do so. We dropped the pitch on the prop 1" and it was like adding 10 more HP - instant plane with 4. Top speed with one person dropped from 23kt to 19kt, though. I haven't measured if there was a corresponding drop in top speed with 4 people.

Mark
RegisteredUser likes this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #18 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

If youre going to be out a long time, to me, it makes sense to have a spare prop anyway...could be a hole shot or long fast run
post #19 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Different orbit...
You can also get angles between the shaft positioning pin holes by building/adding to the pin.
Dunno if that came out understandable..
Tubing over the pin...
post #20 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
If youre going to be out a long time, to me, it makes sense to have a spare prop anyway...could be a hole shot or long fast run
Absolutely. We had been cruising for a few years when I decided to buy a spare prop. Within a month after getting it, we spun the hub on the original prop. Boy did I feel smart, but was told by Michele that I was just lucky...

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in