25 hp Suzuki vs. Yamaha for a dinghy - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-21-2020 Thread Starter

25 hp Suzuki vs. Yamaha for a dinghy

I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha 25 hp vs. the Suzuki. The Suzuki is a 3-cylinder that seems much smoother than the 2-cylinder Yamaha.

Anyone have reliability experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-21-2020

Re: 25 hp Suzuki vs. Yamaha for a dinghy

Wow big engine for a dinghy. What kind of dinghy do you have?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 24 Old 01-21-2020

Theyre both great motors

post #4 of 24 Old 01-21-2020 Thread Starter

Highfield CL360.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-21-2020

The Yamaha weighs 10lbs less. I'd go with that. Get electric start.

Both are fuel-injected.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #6 of 24 Old 01-21-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks Mark.

I'm not too worried about the 10 lbs, more of the vibration at the tiller from the 2 cylinder vs. 3 cylinder at idle. I've seen some videos and idle driving you get your hand shaken pretty bad. Also, the Yamaha is really a souped up 20 hp where the Suzuki is a down rated 30 hp.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Just on a theoretical level, the firing sequence of a three cylinder makes it smoother than a 2-cylinder or even a 4-cylinder.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #8 of 24 Old 01-22-2020
Master Mariner

I've no experience with any Suzuki OB, but lots with Yamaha and I wouldn't choose any other outboard. You didn't mention whether you were buying 4 stroke or two.
I would not consider a tiller operated OB over 15 or 20 HP. If you want a 25, which is a huge engine for cruising, I'd have a center console. You are more likely to find parts and capable repair people for the Yamaha out here. Gas can also be much more expensive than in the states, which makes the bigger engine less desirable.
The big downside to Yamaha is that they are such good engines that they are the favourites of OB thieves.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 24 Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks Capta. 4 stroke with tiller. You can't row a center console and this is going on a Highfield CL360. The FCT console is right on top of the oar chock. This is going on the back of my boat that I am planning on a circumnavigation with. Yamaha parts are plentiful in the USA and Caribbean, but Suzuki is the king in the Pacific and it's a toss up in the Med.

Thanks again for your feedback.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks Mark.

I'm not too worried about the 10 lbs, more of the vibration at the tiller from the 2 cylinder vs. 3 cylinder at idle. I've seen some videos and idle driving you get your hand shaken pretty bad. Also, the Yamaha is really a souped up 20 hp where the Suzuki is a down rated 30 hp.
We have the Suzuki 20hp. While it is a different engine than their 25/30hp, it is 2-cylinder and doesn't shake or vibrate much at all. At idle, you don't even know it is running. Our previous Honda 15hp 2-cylinder was the same. I'm surprised the Yamaha 25 vibrates so much.

I can say this about the Suzuki - it sips fuel. If the throttle is held at constant speed, the computer leans down the fuel supply. Since Yamaha now seems to have caught up with Suzuki in EFI outboards, I suspect it will be a similar miser with fuel.

Take it from a fellow catamaran cruiser - don't be lulled into "its only 10lbs more...". As your cruising years progress, those 10lbs add up without you even knowing it. A spare here, a tool there, an additional pot or two, some stuff that seemed like a good idea at the time - it becomes like boiling a frog.

We recently got a new boat. We sold the old boat with all the gear and spares and most galley stuff, and only took off personal items and tools and a bit of special cooking things. We took 4-5000lbs of this stuff off the boat. The waterline rose 5". There was stuff we forgot existed stored away in places we forgot existed.

But it is only 10lbs, and you will know where it is stored, won't forget about it, and use it often!

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in