Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 Old 05-15-2017

Re: Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice.

Forgot to mention .... that GREY bumper is only the 'attachment support' for the 'snap on' PVC rub-rail used on P30s.
The PVC rub rail 'was' (is?) available from D&R Marine, Assonet, MA. D&R bought up most of the Pearson and Oday boat parts when they both went out of business ... D & R Marine , ask for Rudy
Rockhopper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 Old 05-15-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Forgot to mention .... that GREY bumper is only the 'attachment support' for the 'snap on' PVC rub-rail used on P30s.
The PVC rub rail 'was' (is?) available from D&R Marine, Assonet, MA. D&R bought up most of the Pearson and Oday boat parts when they both went out of business ... D & R Marine , ask for Rudy
The gray bumper doesn't have a lip/flange to screw down to at the broken section. I'm guessing it was broke and repaired. Will this be fine? I know I will need to make sure I seal it up with some thing because I can see it has an opening where it would of had the deck joint flange. I will call them to see what they have for sale.

What is best to put on the wood on the cockpit area? The varnish/stain is gone and needs some renewing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Chris
1973 Pearson 30 #411
Trinity, North Carolina
post #13 of 59 Old 05-15-2017

The exterior wood on this 1973 boat isn't teak, it's Brazilian Iroko - a now endangered tropical softwood. Very BEAUTIFUL when properly coated, more beautiful than varnished teak because of the wavy and open grain, if you flat-sand and then hand rub the coating after it fully cures, the wood beneath the coating will become glowingly iridescent; the heat generated by your hand and wetted 'rottenstone' (hand rubbing compound) causes 'the glow'.
Not much in the way of varnish, Cetoil, etc. will 'stick' to the horizontal surfaces with any reliability because Iroko is quite subject to UV burn, even with coatings using UV blockers. For the cap rails on the cockpit coaming, Id suggest a 'resinated' oil, applied thick (don't wipe) and let to cure. Resinated oil is 25-50% oil based varnish + 50% oil, applied 'thick' just like varnish. The worst thing about oils or 'resinated' oils is they will eventually turn 'dark' after a season or two. A commercial version of 'resinated' oil is "NuTeak by MaryKate". https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=11404
The best thing about 'resinated' oils is that theyre easily removed (each season) by applying a wet paste of TriSodiumPhosphate-TSP ... paint store stuff. TSP will loosen the oid oil finish. Follow up with oxalic acid to bleach it before re-coating. You really have to keep Iroko 'coated' as sunlight/UV easily ERODES deeply into the soft grain if its left 'bare'. OK to heavy coat the hand rails and companionway track boards, etc. with 'varnish'. Consider to put suncovers on if you elect to varnish (oil based varnish).

Call Rudy at D&R to see if he has some pieces of the PVC (screw down) deck flange rub rail support ... and the soft PVC rub rail 'bumper'. You might also want to see if he still has the 'weatherstripping' that seals the large side windows - notorious 'leakers'.

FWIW/Also - the P30 requires 'precise' blocking when its on the hard; or, the hull will twist, distort and develop huge indentations in the hull especially near the area just aft of the keel. When blocking, 'most' of the boat weight is supported by a large block under the front end of the keel.
Important - the second block under the keel is placed directly vertically down from where the aft end of the keel intersects with the hull. NOTHING should be placed further aft under the keel from this 'imaginary' line from where the keel intersects the hull.
A vee-poppet jack stand is placed at the bow and a second vee-poppit (or two standard jack stands) is placed between the prop and the stern to keep the hull 'stretched' (in tension) along its long axis. Leave the rigging 'tight' for winter lay-up to help support 'the ends' of the hull.
Ill try to find a sketch of this blocking plan and post it.

P30s, when set up correctly, are very SWEET SAILING boats, requiring only slight finger tip pressure on the tiller. Enjoy!!!!

Last edited by RichH; 05-15-2017 at 12:24 PM.

post #14 of 59 Old 05-15-2017 Thread Starter

Here is how the yard set it up on the hard 2 years ago I think it was. From what I understand you saying I think this looks​ correct. The PVC channel originally fit over a fiberglass lip/flange didn't it? Where the side of the boat and the deck meet? Mine has no lip of fiberglass so this was what I was concerned with as there would be no way to screw the PVC channel to the boat at this one point.

Chris
1973 Pearson 30 #411
Trinity, North Carolina

Last edited by Rockhopper; 05-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #15 of 59 Old 05-15-2017

You're 'close enough' with the rear/aft keel blocking.

Nothing should be under the keel ..... aft of the vertical dashed red line.
Attached Thumbnails
P30 keelblocks.jpg  
post #16 of 59 Old 05-15-2017

Here's the rub rail support piece at D&R: DR Marine Product Detail

Here's the actual PVC Rub Rail: DR Marine Product Detail enough to do the both sides and stern of the boat.
post #17 of 59 Old 05-16-2017
Barquito

Quote:
What is best to put on the wood on the cockpit area? The varnish/stain is gone and needs some renewing.
In order to make the best use of your time, I don't think you should worry about cosmetic things for a while.

I think the order of importance before launch would be:

1) Boat floats
2) Engine works
3) Rigging (running and standing) is OK

Valiant 32
post #18 of 59 Old 05-16-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
In order to make the best use of your time, I don't think you should worry about cosmetic things for a while.

I think the order of importance before launch would be:

1) Boat floats
2) Engine works
3) Rigging (running and standing) is OK
Well I would hope it would float, there could be more to this then I think but I very willing to take any advice.

I plan to use some Marvel's Mystery Oil to put down into the piston cylinder and valves. Should I get the engine to turn over then I'll be off to test compression.

Running rigging was supposedly replaced, don't think standing rigging was touched. What should I be on the lookout for?

Chris
1973 Pearson 30 #411
Trinity, North Carolina
post #19 of 59 Old 05-16-2017
cdy

Good sailing boats - used to race against one in Jacksonville - it always did well, the older Pearson 30's were heavier and more sluggish - very different boats - I think you are in North Carolina - but here in Florida - if you paid more than 2K for it - you overpaid , if you got it for a song or free - then maybe worth it - just never expect to recoup the money you out into it.
post #20 of 59 Old 05-16-2017
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Well I would hope it would float, there could be more to this then I think but I very willing to take any advice.

I plan to use some Marvel's Mystery Oil to put down into the piston cylinder and valves. Should I get the engine to turn over then I'll be off to test compression.

Running rigging was supposedly replaced, don't think standing rigging was touched. What should I be on the lookout for?

I am replacing a seacock that was frozen on my new-to-me boat. I realized, as I am doing this, that even if the other seacocks are not frozen, I have no idea if they will keep the lake on the outside of the boat.
Rockhopper likes this.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in