SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   P30 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/)
-   -   Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/p30/284289-just-purchased-1973-pearson-30-need-advice.html)

taylmeistr 03-25-2019 05:42 PM

Re: Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice.

I have to post 14 more times on SailNet before I can private message - I'd like to share my acquisition story privately - nothing shady just T.M.I. for this forum. Find me on FB by searching chris taylor drummond island and I'll reply with it.

I paid 3K for her. She came with a fiberglass sailing dinghy with an old 6 horse Johnson on it - I promptly sold both for a song as they were a liability at the municipal marina where she is moored.

I was not aware of the shift linkage issue - thanks for that - I will inspect it as soon as I get back to her.

If I understand you correctly you did eventually find the correct sail slides and they are probably on the sail that is currently on her? I know there is a bag of sail slides that came with her.

I have seen a lot of "scrap her and buy one in sailing condition" advice but I am already past that point and am committed to getting her back in good sailing order.

Again I really appreciate your willingness to share information. I consider it a boon & expect it will help speed a few things along.

taylmeistr 04-18-2019 02:02 PM

Chris - Lets get in touch again - I am back on board and have a few questions if you don't mind. - Thanks

taylmeistr 04-23-2019 11:12 PM

I have 3 questions for you now that I am back on board.

Do you remember/know what bottom paint was used when you did it? Thi is helpful so I can use a compatible paint.

What is the fuel tank capacity and did you clean the tank when you did the engine swap?

Was the port aft quarter damaged when you had her? Maybe this happened after - some very shoddy repair work has been done and I am trying to figure out how bad the damage under the repair was.

I actually sailed Luft Tanz last Wednesday in light airs. She did well despite a totally wrong mainsail.

Look forward to getting back in touch with you - Thanks

Minnesail 04-24-2019 06:31 PM

It's cool to see previous owners connect like this, and kind of fun to see the story of how the boat gets moved along.

taylmeistr 04-24-2019 10:34 PM

These are some early shots of the new progress on Luft Tanz. I have been removing deck hardware and too many globs of silicone that most recent P.O. (not Rockhopper) used to seal pretty much every deck fitting and window. The old wire wheel on the drill has been my best friend for silicone removal. It takes 99% of it off and acetone makes sure there is no residue left behind. This is in prep for some epoxy injection in numerous soft spots and a pretty massive core removal & replacement job in the cockpit (roughly 18" by 30). There is also a significant hull-to-deck flange repair in the works.

I have decided to delete stanchions and lifelines all together as they are more of a hazard than safety feature. I will use jacklines for safety on deck as most of my sailing will be solo.

taylmeistr 04-24-2019 10:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Whoops - here they are

taylmeistr 04-24-2019 10:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A couple more - also have exposed the knees where the chainplates mount and found them to look better than I thought.

nickmerc 08-01-2019 04:24 PM

I used to own a 1974 P30 about 8 years ago. There has not been a response to your question about the grey primer on the decks. If you are referring to the swirls of color on the non skid, that is not primer. It is what is left of the outer layer of the gelcoat in that area. In the early '70's Pearson had an issue with thier mold release when laying up the decks. Several of the P30's from that era exhibit this pattern. Not a big deal. Just cosmetic. When it comes time to paint the decks you will need to put actual primer over them.

Once you get her finished, you will really enjoy sailing her. The P30 is a great boat. I sorely miss mine.

Skipper Jer 08-01-2019 05:50 PM

The chain plates may look ok on one side but can be a total disaster on the side against the fiberglass. Remove them, inspect them and if they are original consider replacing them. They are cheaper than a new mast.