Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice. - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 57 Old 03-25-2019

Re: Just purchased a 1973 Pearson 30, need advice.

I have to post 14 more times on SailNet before I can private message - I'd like to share my acquisition story privately - nothing shady just T.M.I. for this forum. Find me on FB by searching chris taylor drummond island and I'll reply with it.

I paid 3K for her. She came with a fiberglass sailing dinghy with an old 6 horse Johnson on it - I promptly sold both for a song as they were a liability at the municipal marina where she is moored.

I was not aware of the shift linkage issue - thanks for that - I will inspect it as soon as I get back to her.

If I understand you correctly you did eventually find the correct sail slides and they are probably on the sail that is currently on her? I know there is a bag of sail slides that came with her.

I have seen a lot of "scrap her and buy one in sailing condition" advice but I am already past that point and am committed to getting her back in good sailing order.

Again I really appreciate your willingness to share information. I consider it a boon & expect it will help speed a few things along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Chris - Lets get in touch again - I am back on board and have a few questions if you don't mind. - Thanks
post #53 of 57 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have 3 questions for you now that I am back on board.

Do you remember/know what bottom paint was used when you did it? Thi is helpful so I can use a compatible paint.

What is the fuel tank capacity and did you clean the tank when you did the engine swap?

Was the port aft quarter damaged when you had her? Maybe this happened after - some very shoddy repair work has been done and I am trying to figure out how bad the damage under the repair was.

I actually sailed Luft Tanz last Wednesday in light airs. She did well despite a totally wrong mainsail.

Look forward to getting back in touch with you - Thanks
Minnesail likes this.

post #54 of 57 Old 3 Weeks Ago

It's cool to see previous owners connect like this, and kind of fun to see the story of how the boat gets moved along.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #55 of 57 Old 3 Weeks Ago

These are some early shots of the new progress on Luft Tanz. I have been removing deck hardware and too many globs of silicone that most recent P.O. (not Rockhopper) used to seal pretty much every deck fitting and window. The old wire wheel on the drill has been my best friend for silicone removal. It takes 99% of it off and acetone makes sure there is no residue left behind. This is in prep for some epoxy injection in numerous soft spots and a pretty massive core removal & replacement job in the cockpit (roughly 18" by 30). There is also a significant hull-to-deck flange repair in the works.

I have decided to delete stanchions and lifelines all together as they are more of a hazard than safety feature. I will use jacklines for safety on deck as most of my sailing will be solo.
post #56 of 57 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Whoops - here they are
Attached Thumbnails
P4210039.JPG   P4210041.JPG   P4230051.JPG   P4230050.JPG  
post #57 of 57 Old 3 Weeks Ago

A couple more - also have exposed the knees where the chainplates mount and found them to look better than I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
P4210037.JPG   P4210038.JPG   P4210036.JPG  
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in