Tranny rebuild or replacement - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2019 Thread Starter

Tranny rebuild or replacement

I have a 1976 Pearson 30. In '97 the A4 was replaced with a Universal 3M 20B with a Hurth HBW transmission. It has worked flawlessly until last week.

The tranny is slipping. It happens at about 1400 RPMs. Hurth is out of business. They were bought by ZF. Finding parts for these is tough.

1. Does anyone know a source for a rebuild kit?

2. If I rebuild, or replace, will I have to pull the shaft to get the old tranny off the engine? I know that will also involve removing the rudder. Kind of hoping to avoid it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2019

Re: Tranny rebuild or replacement

My SWAG is that you have a Hurth model 50. There is a lot (!) of narrative commentary on the 'net about this model. Most of it worrisome.
Unlike some folks, we got 2300 hours out of ours (factory install on an '88 Universal M25XP) and then changed the whole drive train to a new Betamaine last year.

You might have to slide the shaft back a bit after un-doing the 4 bolts on the flange. Hopefully you can do the work with the engine in place, and probably still afloat. Every boat is different.... other owners can advise better when you post some pix of the back of the trans and the shaft log area.

Good luck!

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagarbs View Post
2. If I rebuild, or replace, will I have to pull the shaft to get the old tranny off the engine? I know that will also involve removing the rudder. Kind of hoping to avoid it.
Thanks in advance.
Yes you can almost certainly avoid that. When I replaced the transmission on my boat in the water. As @olson34 said you just unbolt the coupler and slide the shaft back a bit. Then unbolt the transmission from the engine and it should come right out. ("should" :-) )

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2019

I would consider replacing the pressure plate as well. I wouldn't do one without doing the other. Just saying.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2019

Last winter I replaced my Hurth HBW50 with a PRM 60D from ASAP Supply in the UK. Was less than $500 which is about the same as the rebuild kit for the Hurth, if you can find one.
BetaMarine used this trans on some of their models and other reviews have been very good. It has cone clutches rather than the discs used in the Hurth so internally it's more like the Kanzaki that Yanmar uses. It's a bolt on replacement for the Hurth, the only difference is the shift lever is on port and goes forward for forward, the opposite of the Hurth. You can probably reverse your shift mechanism to compensate.
I've run mine about 75 hours so far and have had no problems.
ASAP also has the drive plate cheaper than I could get it here shipping included. Might as well replace it too as long as you're in there, mine had a broken spring so I had no choice.

Last edited by capt jgwinks; 08-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Which HBW transmission do you have?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgwinks View Post
Last winter I replaced my Hurth HBW50 with a PRM 60D from ASAP Supply in the UK. Was less than $500 which is about the same as the rebuild kit for the Hurth, if you can find one.
BetaMarine used this trans on some of their models and other reviews have been very good. It has cone clutches rather than the discs used in the Hurth so internally it's more like the Kanzaki that Yanmar uses. It's a bolt on replacement for the Hurth, the only difference is the shift lever is on port and goes forward for forward, the opposite of the Hurth. You can probably reverse your shift mechanism to compensate.
I've run mine about 75 hours so far and have had no problems.
ASAP also has the drive plate cheaper than I could get it here shipping included. Might as well replace it too as long as you're in there, mine had a broken spring so I had no choice.
Second this, replaced my hurth with prm and no problems, easy to adjust the gear shift lever so all works as it should.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-16-2019

I have a larger ZF/Hurth and had it rebuilt twice. Neither rebuild lasted more than a season, the second was done under warranty. Total waste of money and screwed up two weeks of both seasons. I then bought new and immediately recognized how much smoother it ran.

DIY tranny rebuild is not impossible, but you really need a machine press and good calibrated calipers. The pros then test the rebuilt unit on a dyno, which you could theoretically skip and do in situ. However, if anything is wrong, it's a haul out and full disassembly again.

Buy new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in