Homemade composting head - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2014 Thread Starter
Not Finished Yet

Homemade composting head

After many attempts to get our head to not stink, we finally decided it was not going to happen and opted for a composting head. None of the commercial models seemed to fit in the 34 head space, so we built our own. Details on our blog: Head Project | Rain Dog. So far so good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2014

Re: Homemade composting head

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2014

Interesting - and congrats!

As a part of our refit, we're replacing the ancient Groco KH head with same, as well as replacing all of the plumbing and the Y-valve. Key though, is we're also replacing the existing and original wooden holding tank lid with fiberglass. That, plus regular use of a holding tank 'deodorizer' will keep any odor issues to a minimum. We hope.

We've also found the Groco KH to be a near bullet-proof head. It should be for the price! (After 20+ years of nearly failure-free service, and countless rebuilds, I'd say it's worth every cent!) The massive piston pump evacuates things remarkably well, which of course helps with stinkiness, though it also moves an impressive volume of water, and over enthusiastic flushing will fill a 34's holding tank quickly. One thing some friends of ours have done on their boat to help with odors is to only use measured amounts of potable fresh water for flushing the head. Often, what's mistaken for human waste odor is actually the accumulating decay within the hoses of all the stuff in seawater, (Or, fresh water if you're a laker...), which can build up on the walls of hoses.

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2014
Banned

The fan on my composter quit so I have been sprinkling a bit of dry swimming pool bleach in from time to time. Works well. No smell.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2014
Old enough to know better

Do you have a method to stir it or do you simply put a scoop on top of your deposits?

Thinking of that I read a funny mime the other day:

He who stirs the s*** pot should lick the spoon....
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2014

Nice job guys! Looks great. It's always funny to see the reaction we get from people in our marina about our composting head. They act as if we have lost our minds. Our neighbor has had to replace his macerator 3 times and the hoses once in the past year - horrible job. He still can't be convinced that the composter is the way to go.
We've only used it for weekends and week long trips so far, but we are really happy with it - zero problems or smell. We are glad we took the plunge.
Brent Swain likes this.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

post #7 of 13 Old 01-20-2014

Brent, great idea about the bleach. I have poo powder but have yet to use it. So far this desiccating head thing has kinda taken care of itself.

Miatapaul,
We do not have an agitator per say. I bought an extra long handled ss serving spoon. I've used it once to see what all was going on in there and it just looks like dirt. I store the spoon in a sealed container behind the head.

We have a mini dehumidifier running in the head 24/7. I also have been using the wag bags I had leftover from the experimental phase to line the poo bin. The wag bag has a little poo powder in the bottom, this may be why moisture is not a problem and our desiccating head works so well.(?)

I added a Q&A to our head page on our blog, will keep adding as questions as they come in. Sorry if it is a little jumbled.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2014
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Brent, great idea about the bleach. I have poo powder but have yet to use it. So far this desiccating head thing has kinda taken care of itself.

Miatapaul,
We do not have an agitator per say. I bought an extra long handled ss serving spoon. I've used it once to see what all was going on in there and it just looks like dirt. I store the spoon in a sealed container behind the head.

We have a mini dehumidifier running in the head 24/7. I also have been using the wag bags I had leftover from the experimental phase to line the poo bin. The wag bag has a little poo powder in the bottom, this may be why moisture is not a problem and our desiccating head works so well.(?)

I added a Q&A to our head page on our blog, will keep adding as questions as they come in. Sorry if it is a little jumbled.
Glad it is working out for you, but I have made a mental note, be sure to check what spoon oceangirl uses if I ever happen to be at a pot luck where you guys are bringing the chili!

I am a fan at least in theory of composing heads, and I like yours as it is affordable and would make a good test. The last boat I looked at had a small head, and I was thinking that none of the commercially available ones would fit. I am impressed with your willingness to experiment! I don't think anyone in my family would be so open to options. Perhaps OK with a commercial version, but homemade might scare them off. Of course the painted design on the front helps make it look a bit more finished.
jimgo and captain jack like this.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-21-2014

Miatapaul, after rebuilding a couple heads, replacing a couple more, replacing all hoses a few times, and replacing a 30 year old holding tank, a gal just gets gets desensitized to the uglier side of living aboard. Oh how I would love to go back to the blissful days of direct discharge, no odors, little maintenance, easy peasy.

The new 2.5 gal container is stinking, never had that issue with the one gallons so we are back to one gallons and a fresh smelling head

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

post #10 of 13 Old 01-21-2014
Wish I never found SN!

I am a Bit lost here. Is it a composting toilet or is it just a bucket? I always thought composting took months and you where required to stop adding fresh mater to allow complete composting. By adding bleach would you not kill the good stuff to help composting.

Simon

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Mediterranean
DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcoholic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in