Guage for aft water tank - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-24-2014 Thread Starter
Mondofromredondo

Guage for aft water tank

Any of you installed any kind of water level sender and gage on your PSC?

I typically use the aft water tank till it goes dry and up fwd I have one of those flexible water bladders that holds about 15 gallons. that way I know when its time to fill the aft tank. But I think now I'd prefer to know before the aft tank runs dry. Any of you find a monitoring system that your pleased with that isn't too hard to install or too expensive?

Thanks all !!

Keith Campbell
S/V Charity Rose
'88 PSC 34'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-24-2014

Re: Guage for aft water tank

Sorry, I can't recall the brand but I could find out for you. A friend has had good luck with this type of externally mounted level gauging system. The image is from an RV site (might be a good place to get it!).. the strips shown are simply glued to the outside wall of the tank. In all likelihood they work on capacitance changes.

Here's another possibility - not an analog indication but multi-point - also externally mounted.

http://www.tek-tanks.com/boattanks/d...el-indicators/

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-24-2014

Do you have any existing tank senders on the boat (fuel, waste, etc)? If so, it can be pretty simple to multiplex one of your existing gauges to a new sender. Otherwise, I'd second Faster's recommendation of an external sensor. Here are a couple of candidates:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/scad...ternal-sensors

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/rari...-monitor-15101
The Following User Says Thank You to IStream For This Useful Post:
Faster (10-24-2014)

post #4 of 15 Old 10-24-2014

Thanks IS... google wasn't being my friend this morning!!

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #5 of 15 Old 10-24-2014 Thread Starter
Mondofromredondo

Currently I have no existing sensors so I'm going to need the entire system. As my water tank is integrated into the hull and fiberglass I don't think mounting anything to the side of the tank is possible or practical. I'm thinking access from the top only. I prefer not to have to install a big float sender and am looking at the "Heart Tank Tender" products which are non mechanical and rely on measurement of the weight of the fluid column by means of a plastic tube insterted from the top of tank to just an inch above bottom of tank. A little pricey but appear so far to be a good solution. The install certainly looks to be reasonably simple.

Keith Campbell
S/V Charity Rose
'88 PSC 34'
post #6 of 15 Old 10-24-2014

You could make your own such gauge pretty easily... Buy a gauge in the appropriate "inches water column" scale, insert your tube from the top to an inch or so within the bottom of the tank, and tee in the gauge and a way to 'pump it up' - a squeeze bulb type thing.

When you force a bubble out of the tube, the pressure it takes to do that is equal to the pressure exerted by the weight of liquid, proportional to the actual height. in the case of a water tank you could read the gauge directly (in inches). In a holding tank you'd need to know the 'density' of the material in the tank so that could be variable.

btw it takes 27.68 vertical inches of water to create 1 psig pressure - gives you an idea of how low a pressure we're talking about.

Ron

The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
mondofromredondo (10-24-2014)
post #7 of 15 Old 10-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofromredondo View Post
Currently I have no existing sensors so I'm going to need the entire system. As my water tank is integrated into the hull and fiberglass I don't think mounting anything to the side of the tank is possible or practical. I'm thinking access from the top only. I prefer not to have to install a big float sender and am looking at the "Heart Tank Tender" products which are non mechanical and rely on measurement of the weight of the fluid column by means of a plastic tube insterted from the top of tank to just an inch above bottom of tank. A little pricey but appear so far to be a good solution. The install certainly looks to be reasonably simple.
You might want to check in with the folks at Seacraft Yacht Sales here in Seattle to find out what others have done and their recommendation. In addition to owning the Dana molds and having a very close relationship with the factory, they know every model of these boats inside and out (possibly even your specific hull). The guy I'd start with is Ray Neglay, 206-547-2755.

Disclaimer: Ray was my buyer's broker on a boat but I've got no commercial relationship with Seacraft.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-24-2014
Old enough to know better

You could build a simple sight gauge, simple piece of clear or semi clear hose hooked up before the water pump (if pressure water) that you can visually look at to see the level. does not have to be right near the tank, and you can make your own markings on it to tell if full or close to empty since it does not sound like you are looking for exact measurements. Should only cost a few dollars in hose and a T fitting.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-24-2014
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofromredondo View Post
up fwd I have one of those flexible water bladders that holds about 15 gallons.
Do you have this bladder inside the forward tank? Are you happy with how it works? I would like to put a bladder inside that tank if possible to keep my mattress dry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 Old 10-24-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

I screwed out the white inserts in the water tank 4" Beckson deck plates and screwed in clear ones. It was a 10 minute, $30 job. For another $15, I put one in the holding tank.

I just raise a cushion, look in, and know what is there. No fuss, no muss, seeing is believing.

Beckson Screw Out Deck Plate / Inspection Port

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

p.s. For four years or so I have had a SCAD Solo level gauge on the holding tank with the glued on foil strips. It has not been reliable measuring the holding tank level. It gives readings that are +/- 25% or more from known levels. I know the holding tank level both by looking into the tank and also by pumping it empty then re-filling it through the deck out pump out with seawater poured from a 2.5 gal bucket. I think the problem is a combination of the construction of the fiberglass tank wall which may contain a piece of plywood and the brown muddy and sandy substance that builds up on the inside of the tank walls between clean outs. Last month I disconnected the external foil sensor and installed a rod sensor in the tank. Ask me in a few months, and I'll tell you how well it works. The gauges are sold in the marine market as SCAD Solo and made (and also marketed) by Home Page

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in