PSC34 Wheel to Tiller conversion - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 04-04-2016
s/v Pelagic

Re: PSC34 Wheel to Tiller conversion

Davashcow,

Here is the sketch I used for the rudder post extension.
Let me know if you need a higher-res file and I can email it.

I should reiterate that the upper rudder post bearing needed to be replaced on our boat to take the side loads of the tiller. PSC sold me the proper Orcot bearing which I glassed in under the deck. Perhaps newer boats already have this modification. I had to make sure the extension was long enough so the rudder post through bolt is below the new bearing. This is why the extension is 10 inches long. In looking at my sketch, it appears I did NOT have the machine shop put both through bolt holes in but rather just the one for the tiller head.

John
Attached Thumbnails
rudder stock ext.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 04-04-2016
Deep Blue Crush

That was good info DaveMancini, thank you!

I have a tiller on my 28, and I am new to owning a boat and I could even say sailing, I cant claim to be experienced. Then guys at the marina started to "advise" me to change to wheel because it will be easier "for a woman" , so many advises coming from all sort of direction, when I am not that experienced, so got a little confused, even asked in here some time ago if these advises have some valid points, if I should do that etc. But certainly not, and your post was very clear to point few things as well.
I have to say, the tiller does at times snaps from under my grip, I wonder if thats me being too "lady like" on it , or something else.

Deep Blue Crush
post #13 of 15 Old 04-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paikea View Post
That was good info DaveMancini, thank you!

I have a tiller on my 28, and I am new to owning a boat and I could even say sailing, I cant claim to be experienced. Then guys at the marina started to "advise" me to change to wheel because it will be easier "for a woman" , so many advises coming from all sort of direction, when I am not that experienced, so got a little confused, even asked in here some time ago if these advises have some valid points, if I should do that etc. But certainly not, and your post was very clear to point few things as well.
I have to say, the tiller does at times snaps from under my grip, I wonder if thats me being too "lady like" on it , or something else.
Let's see, women are too dumb, too weak or clueless so have to have a wheel to be able to sail a boat. So much for women's lib amongst your clueless advisors.

Broke down and bought a boat with a wheel. It was pain in the butt to use from the first time I took it out of the slip. Fought the damn thing for more than a half a decade until I got so pissed at the contraption that I tore it out and went to tiller steering. Hallelujah, have seen the promised land and it's steered by a tiller. You do have to hang on to the tiller but a wheel can kick back just like a tiller. Enjoy the simplicity, instant steering input and knowing where the rudder is pointed. Don't waste your money on a wheel conversion.
paikea likes this.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-06-2016

John, thanks for the diagram and explanation.

I've not been on any 37's, but it sounds like some have removable cockpit soles. On my pedestal-equipped 34, only the forward section is removable. Do the factory tiller 34's have both sections removable? This seems like it would be incredibly advantageous for maintenance and access.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-07-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davashcow View Post
On my pedestal-equipped 34, only the forward section is removable. Do the factory tiller 34's have both sections removable? This seems like it would be incredibly advantageous for maintenance and access.
Our boat is a factory tiller boat. Only the forward part of the cockpit sole is removable.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in