Riding Sail - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 03-16-2015

Re: Riding Sail

WSM,
Looks like a comparison test in the making.
How about it? Maybe one if the Fin Delta owners could supply you with one.
Happy sails
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 03-16-2015
Glad I found Sailnet

We use a regular flat sail. Toward the end of the summer, we ran the sheet for it forward to the midships cleat. That kept it angled to the wind and applying "straightening force" when the bow is into the wind so the hulls is providing no "straightening force". It minimized the "tiny tacking" of the anchor sail that occurs otherwise.

Net effect is likely similar to using a V sail.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #13 of 25 Old 03-17-2015 Thread Starter

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
WSM,
Looks like a comparison test in the making.
How about it? Maybe one if the Fin Delta owners could supply you with one.
Happy sails
John
I’ll leave the testing and comparing different riding sails to Practical Sailor. Actually, I don’t know how it could be done. I have been using this one for three years and have been watching others use their riding sails for longer than that. Here are some thoughts:

What is the ‘measure of merit’? What is “better”? I chose to visually compare graphs of the variations in the apparent and true wind with and without the riding sail hoisted. Others might be interested in heading variation, changes in boat GPS coordinates, chart plotter tracks, or something else.

How much weight should be given to any increase in anchor load? I know that when I hang my sun awning vertically behind my bimini to shade the cockpit in the evenings, the swinging of the boat diminishes, but no doubt the anchor load also increases. After all, the awning is just a square sail pulling the stern of the boat downwind. I imagine that, compared to a flat sail, a dihedral sail has some increase in average anchor load. Is that important?

What about cost and simplicity? How much do they matter?

What about the boat? I have a 34’ Pacific Seacraft with a canoe stern. The backstay comes down at the pointy stern of the boat and there are no easy spots to tack down the two corners of a dihedral sail. Other boats like the Beneteau/Jeanneaus with their wide sterns or boats with huge stern arches have perfect places for attaching the two tacks of a dihedral sail.

How much does the boat swing on its own? Those same Beneteau/Jeanneaus with their masts set forward move around a lot. Some of the catamarans anchored with a wide bridle don’t seem to move at all. Obviously, not all boats act the same without a riding sail. Perhaps the same is true of boats with a riding sail.

What about the effect of current? Many times, we find ourselves anchored with the anchor chain leading off to one side of the boat or on occasion even back under us. It never looks like that in drawings in books or magazines, but it happens. Sometimes instead of just swinging back and forth, we go in circles. Other times we just fly like a kite off to one side of the anchor. How does the riding sail effect the boat when there is a current flowing?

How much wind should be blowing and how rough should the water be while the riding sails are being tested and compared? I know from my own experience in wind to 30 kt and waves to 2’ that it does make a difference in both the anchor load and in the boat behavior. A gusty wind is different from steady wind, and wind that swings back and forth is different from wind that blows from a constant direction. When strong winds are forecast, we shelter behind land. That is a guarantee of gusty, shifty wind.

Anyway, if you want me to test a dihedral sail, box it carefully padding it with wadded up $100 bills and have it sent via Watermakers Air of Ft Lauderdale to me c/o Staniel Cay Yacht Club. I’ll get right on it.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

post #14 of 25 Old 03-17-2015

Well then, let's go back to anchor testing.
Thanks,
John
post #15 of 25 Old 03-17-2015

Dear Bill,

It is wonderful to get some real data on this topic. It comes at a good time for me as I was just now reading an article on the Morgans Cloud website in which a writer documents his various "solutions" to the problem of sailing about at anchor. His latest iteration is a small drogue (18" mouth reinforced with wire) fastened onto the anchor chain just about where their 30' snubber attaches -- so that the drogue stays in the water when the chain is pulled tight in strong winds. He says it almost totally eliminated sailing around. Worth a read and worthwhile subscribing for lots of great articles on and by knowledgable bluewater cruisers.

I think I may do both!

Jay
PSC 37 Kenlanu
post #16 of 25 Old 03-18-2015
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
...Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Bill,

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #17 of 25 Old 03-18-2015
Senior in age only

Bill (WSMurdoch), what meter do you use?
I am interested in that kind of stuff, and logging the data on a PC/laptop will show real values
thanks
hank

Wishing you all sunny skies above, clear water below, fair winds behind, and a safe port ahead.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-18-2015 Thread Starter

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

The anchor load was measured with a 0-2000 lbf dial dynamometer. I bought it on ebay. Both the seller and I mispelled dynamometer. I was the only bidder and got a real deal.

The instrument data was taken from the boat's Simrad instruments. The IS-15 display heads have a NMEA 0183 output which carries on two wires all the data that can be displayed on any of the heads (depth, speed, heading, wind, position, COG, SOG...). That data stream is converted to USB with a RS-232 to USB adapter. The USB signal from that source is combined with signals from several others in a USB hub before going to a small cheap notebook PC. NavMonPC software decodes that and produces the graphs that I included in the original post. NavMonPC does two other things that I find useful. It will sample the data stream at any frequency I specify and produce an Excel file for later analysis. It also will produce virtual serial serial ports on the PC which can be used by other programs to access the data stream.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #19 of 25 Old 06-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBrain333 View Post
Dear Bill,

It is wonderful to get some real data on this topic. It comes at a good time for me as I was just now reading an article on the Morgans Cloud website in which a writer documents his various "solutions" to the problem of sailing about at anchor. His latest iteration is a small drogue (18" mouth reinforced with wire) fastened onto the anchor chain just about where their 30' snubber attaches -- so that the drogue stays in the water when the chain is pulled tight in strong winds. He says it almost totally eliminated sailing around. Worth a read and worthwhile subscribing for lots of great articles on and by knowledgable bluewater cruisers.

I think I may do both!

Jay
PSC 37 Kenlanu
I've used an anti-sail drogue from the bow for a number of years.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: LESSONS FROM A HURRICANE: AN ANTI SAIL DROGUE
It works very well and is easy to deploy. I just drop it down from the bow anchor roller. Though making a Riding Sail is on my list of projects too. But, I'm happy with the drogue.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbianka For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (06-04-2015)
post #20 of 25 Old 06-04-2015
Mondofromredondo

Not really sure how my experience relates to this conversation but I added weather sheets to the cockpit of boat.

These weather sheets of course provide a similar windage as a small sail would. Simply located closer to waterline. I've noticed that the boat when anchored now squares up to the wind much nicer.
Not having to deal with an additional sail. Obviously with alot of current this may not be adequate to point the boat into the wind but for the most part one less thing to deal with after dropping the hook.

On one ocassion with light winds I raised my triple reefed main which worked great !!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in