Riding Sail - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 06-04-2015

Re: Riding Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I've used an anti-sail drogue from the bow for a number of years.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: LESSONS FROM A HURRICANE: AN ANTI SAIL DROGUE
It works very well and is easy to deploy. I just drop it down from the bow anchor roller. Though making a Riding Sail is on my list of projects too. But, I'm happy with the drogue.
Interesting. My boat is an anchor sailor, too. Might have to give this at try!

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 07-22-2015
Banned

I'm about to replace my sails and my little brain is starting to formulate a plan to cut a flat piece from one of the old ones to make a riding sail. (I don't have access to a sewing machine, so this could be tricky and/or a very slow process.)

Can anyone who has put up a riding sail on a Pacific Seacraft 37 or very similar boat explain in some detail how you were able to do it on a backstay that's also your HF antenna? I can't see how to do it without causing potential problems with the isolation connections and possibly the antenna wire leading from the lower isolation point.

Also, how did you rig the sail around all the equipment on the stern? My boat has a stern arch with solar panel and antennas, wind generator on port side, bimini starting at the backstay going forward, etc. I don't see a way to get a riding sail up and secured that won't conflict with something.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-23-2015
Banned

Has anyone tried to rig a riding sail on the mainsail topping lift (ideally on a PS37 cutter)? I don't see any way to rig a riding sail on my boat's aftstay; there's just too much going on back there. Rigging a riding sail on the topping lift wouldn't put it as far back, but it might be easier overall. I could sheet the boom a bit off center to achieve the right effect. I have boom preventers in place so I can keep the boom rock solid wherever I want it. Is it worth a try?

post #24 of 25 Old 07-24-2015 Thread Starter

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

I also use my backstay as a HF antenna. It has two insulators and six PVC pipe standoffs below the lower insulator. The insulators are just visible in the photo in post 7. Maybe I should explain how I raise the sail. That would add to the description of the setup that is below the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The sail is tacked to the stern rail with two short pieces of 3/8" line; one to the top of the stern rail to port and one to the outboard motor bracket on the rail to starboard. It is hoisted on the main halyard. The clew sheet is run forward to the staysail lead block then back to the port side cabin top winch. There are two jib hanks on the sail; one at the head and one at the tack. They are clipped to the backstay. Tacking the sail to the stern rail solves some interference problems with the HF antenna lead-in wire and its standoffs that run along the lower part of the backstay and takes some load off the backstay.
Here goes...

1. I take down the US flag. It is attached to the backstay above the lower insulator and can not be there when the sail is raised. In high winds I take it down anyway. The racket adds to the general emotional stress. (I put it back up for the picture just to get a little red in the photo.)

2. I bring the main halyard back to the stern and clip it there.

3. I take the bagged sail (with its sheet and its two tack lines permanently attached) to the stern rail and tie the two tack lines to the top of the center most port stern rail stanchion and to the outboard motor mount at the starboard stanchion. The lines are marked so I get the lengths right.

4. I run the sheet over the top of the bimini to the port staysail lead block and back to the port cabin top winch. The sheet is extra long and can reach from the winch to the riding sail clew when the sail is flying like a flag behind the boat.

5. I attach the main halyard to the sail's head and, while standing on the seat that I have on my stern rail, clip the hank at the sail's head to the backstay above the lower insulator. (At this point the sail comes out of the bag, and all hell breaks lose.)

6. I tighten the halyard leaving the sail flapping behind the boat. (It makes a lot of noise, and the BBQ grill is at risk of being wrapped if I did not get the sheet the right length to keep it above the bimini.)

7. I tighten the sheet pulling the sail forward to its normal position.

8. With things under control again, I attach the hank at the sail's tack to the backstay halfway between two of the HF lead in wire standoffs.

9. After a little tweeking all is good.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #25 of 25 Old 07-24-2015
Fortuitous

I think it would work from the topping lift.

One thing that was hard for me to accept was that it doesn't go on the centerline of the boat. It seems like a riding sail should work like the fletching on an arrow (and there may be circumstances in which that does work), but that didn't do anything for me. It only worked when I used it like a jib, with the sheet off to one side. Then it tries to sail you away from your anchor...and to the side on which its rigged, which is how it stops the oscillation.

So I think rigging it from the topping lift would be like rigging it like a staysail. It won't have quite as much leverage there, but it doesn't take much to hold you to one side.

I made mine for under $15 as an experiment, but I'm not sure that there's anything more I'd want in a production model: The $15 Riding Sail Experiment | Sailing Fortuitous

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in